BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    2022 BMW M5 CS vs Dodge Charger Hellcat Redeye // DRAG RACE, ROLL RACE & LAP TIMES

07-28-2021, 10:17 PM   #67
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
Sick of seeing M5CS in my feeds. Who gives a F about the CS. With only 25 in Canada and no chance of getting one it becomes completely irrelevant to me. Congratulations to the very fortunate few though.
What I hate is this artificial scarcity that BMW has created with these CS models. It's like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

BMW Person 1: Let's withhold a few goodies from the normal versions of our cars so we can make a more expensive CS model.

BMW Person 2: They won't be a good value and many people won't buy them at those prices.

BMW Person 1: What if we artificially cap production to create faux exclusivity and FOMO.

BMW Person 2: Brilliant!
It's not fake exclusivity, it is exclusive. Whether it's intentional or not is the question.

600 or so M2 CS's in the US sold, and people thought it would flop. That said, I think there would still be many on the lot if they brought 2,000 of these $90K M2s to the US.

Same goes for the M5 CS. I think the average M5 driver is less likely to forego some of the creature comforts compared to M2 enthusiasts. I would be all for the M5 CS, and even more so if it came with a 6MT.

F80 M3 CS had a very slow sales run for a while. Starting to pick up on the secondary market along with everything else. It should have also had a 6MT option, at least in the US.
Good logic
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:48 PM   #68
npcars
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4Cx / X3 M40i

Quote:
I hear ya. I do have a 2019 M5C Imola Red. It is great! I also own a 2010 Dakar edition M3, M4GTS, 2017 M6 Gran Coupe Makufaktur edition, M2CS as well. The M5CS would have been a good fit in my stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I know it's not the same thing but you could get the M5C and spend 20-30k on mods - forged wheels, titanium exhaust, CF aero, nicer steering wheel, piggyback - and you would get a car that looks and performs as good as the M5CS.
All of that GOLD in the stable and you're bitter?!?!

Perspective my dude!

Lol, but seriously, amazing collection
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      07-28-2021, 10:59 PM   #69
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
I'd take that M5cs all day any day

The overrated Hellcat Hangover is sitting on a crappy 1990's E Classe platform and its really just point and shoot with a super horrific stability management/traction control system
VCP1390.00
      07-29-2021, 01:22 AM   #70
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i M-Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

The overrated Hellcat Hangover is sitting on a crappy 1990's E Classe platform and its really just point and shoot with a super horrific stability management/traction control system
It's actually worse than that. The Dodge is built on a bastardized version of the W140 and W210 chassis. The front suspension coming from the 1991 S Class and the rear suspension from the 1995 E Class, both of which began their development cycles in the late 80s.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16304.50
      07-29-2021, 02:30 AM   #71
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RDSECTOR View Post
Quote:

It's actually worse than that. The Dodge is built on a bastardized version of the W140 and W210 chassis. The front suspension coming from the 1991 S Class and the rear suspension from the 1995 E Class, both of which began their development cycles in the late 80s.
Dude that's absolutely Ghettofabulous

Can you even imagine ⁉️
      07-29-2021, 03:10 AM   #72
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you even imagine ⁉️
Exactly! It should be illegal for Dodge to sell this as a "new car". It's a shame they are such a cheap company. They were supposed to switch the Charger/Challenger over to the Alfa Romeo Giulia platform years ago.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16304.50
      07-29-2021, 03:20 AM   #73
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

I saw the CS at Goodwood and the "bronze" trim is really a bit naff, and the green not so nice either.

That said, it's great that BMW are prepared to create such a model.
Attached Images

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16304.50
      07-29-2021, 03:24 AM   #74
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you even imagine ⁉️
Exactly! It should be illegal for Dodge to sell this as a "new car". It's a shame they are such a cheap company. They were supposed to switch the Charger/Challenger over to the Alfa Romeo Giulia platform years ago.
Basically a Modern Day General Lee heavy ass shit box

No wonder they crash so often… Unreal
      07-29-2021, 05:47 AM   #75
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Still don't see the point….why would anyone buy a 5 series Bimmer without a center console! LUDACRIS! Hahahhahaha
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16304.50
      07-29-2021, 06:11 AM   #76
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you even imagine ⁉️

Ok fellas. So what would you do if you were in charge at Daimler?

That platform has been an absolute smash hit sales success for them. Why fix something that isn't broken? From a business perspective they're doing it right, not being a "cheap company".

800hp front-engine rwd anything is going a handful. Hoon around in that CS in RWD mode with the systems off and it'll crash too. Cars don't crash themselves, people do.
Appreciate 1
EPTXM577.50
      07-29-2021, 06:35 AM   #77
3RDSECTOR
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you even imagine ⁉️

That platform has been an absolute smash hit sales success for them. Why fix something that isn't broken? From a business perspective they're doing it right, not being a "cheap company".

800hp front-engine rwd anything is going a handful. Hoon around in that CS in RWD mode with the systems off and it'll crash too. Cars don't crash themselves, people do.
They are a cheap company. There are plenty of manufacturers that have built successful models, yet it doesn't stop them from injecting vast amounts of capital into R&D. Virtually every manufacturer looks to improve their product offering, Dodge does not. Also, if you cram "700hp+" into a land yacht built on a 35 year old (non sports car) platform of course things are not going to go well. Not to mention you think they would at LEAST tire the car properly. The OG Hellcat was offered on 275mm tires. Why? Because Dodge is a cheap company. 275 tires on a car like that should be classified as a war crime. One of my BMWs has 300hp 300tq and sits on 255 tires and I still can overwhelm the rear easily. Dodge is a cheap company and they thrive of the ignorance of their consumer base.
Appreciate 5
///M TOWN16304.50
wesleyan921390.00
Germanauto9701.00
02M3ForMe4261.50
TargaM22489.00
      07-29-2021, 06:48 AM   #78
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
The M5 CS looks like an incredible value at $150k! Totally embarrassed the Hellcat. Would be interesting to see a similar comparison to the Tesla S Plaid. Same price range.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:47 AM   #79
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
It's not fake exclusivity, it is exclusive. Whether it's intentional or not is the question.

600 or so M2 CS's in the US sold, and people thought it would flop. That said, I think there would still be many on the lot if they brought 2,000 of these $90K M2s to the US.

Same goes for the M5 CS. I think the average M5 driver is less likely to forego some of the creature comforts compared to M2 enthusiasts. I would be all for the M5 CS, and even more so if it came with a 6MT.

F80 M3 CS had a very slow sales run for a while. Starting to pick up on the secondary market along with everything else. It should have also had a 6MT option, at least in the US.
Yeah that's what I mean by "artificial", as in, they capped production numbers so there wouldn't be the perception of easy availability.

I don't really know why they insist on removing things from these cars to appear edgy. Like, removing the center console / armrest on the M2 CS? This isn't a CSL and those 5 lbs they saved isn't doing anything but making people annoyed.
I get what you mean on the exclusivity piece, but I think it worked. I doubt BMW makes any more margin on a CS than a comp.

The armrest removal in the M2 CS doesn't bother me one bit. It accentuates the nicer CF and Alcantara tunnel. I think it was more of not spending the money to re-engineer an armrest with the new setup than weight savings.
Appreciate 1
VCP1390.00
      07-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #80
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Angel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you even imagine ⁉️

I agree with this. I wouldn't buy one, but there are plenty of people that want it. Is there any other 800HP car with a factory warranty for less than six figures?

The M5 CS is a much better car but it's almost twice the price.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2021, 08:31 AM   #81
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
There's more to a car than just lap times, how they feel to drive is important too. Like my M2 I just sold, it had character, was it the quickest? no, it was a blast to drive every day it put a smile on my face as I would rev it out and hear the shifts. Electric cars don't give that excitement at all
100% this. People seem to think performance is synonymous with fun. I would argue that we're getting to a point where automakers are wringing out performance at the EXPENSE of fun. What's the point of having the best quarter mile time or the fastest lap time if there's absolutely no theater behind it? At the end of the day they become nothing more than spreadsheet cars.

This has been my issue with EV's thus far. Yeah they accelerate like you're jumping through dimensions, but there's absolutely no theater behind it. No intoxicating sounds, no violent gear shifts, no building/dropping of revs, no EMOTION. An even bigger concern for me is that many of the current ICE cars are chasing those performance figures and are also, in the process, removing some of the engagement.

I'm not averse to new tech, but there's an element of cars where some of the charm is separate from cutting edge tech. Tech has its place in cars, but EV's, and especially Tesla, aren't cars. They're tech products with a car attached to them. I've never once thought, it would be a lot of fun if I could drive my laptop.

Anyway.... That M5cs is an absolute beast and I might sell firstborn for one.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 6
chicagofan0019140.00
ASAP10157.50
Germanauto9701.00
jdubm2c169.00
TargaM22489.00
Egrunt553.00
      07-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #82
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
100% this. People seem to think performance is synonymous with fun. I would argue that we're getting to a point where automakers are wringing out performance at the EXPENSE of fun. What's the point of having the best quarter mile time or the fastest lap time if there's absolutely no theater behind it? At the end of the day they become nothing more than spreadsheet cars.

This has been my issue with EV's thus far. Yeah they accelerate like you're jumping through dimensions, but there's absolutely no theater behind it. No intoxicating sounds, no violent gear shifts, no building/dropping of revs, no EMOTION. An even bigger concern for me is that many of the current ICE cars are chasing those performance figures and are also, in the process, removing some of the engagement.

I'm not averse to new tech, but there's an element of cars where some of the charm is separate from cutting edge tech. Tech has its place in cars, but EV's, and especially Tesla, aren't cars. They're tech products with a car attached to them. I've never once thought, it would be a lot of fun if I could drive my laptop.

Anyway.... That M5cs is an absolute beast and I might sell firstborn for one.
That's partly why I will miss the M-DCT, you cannot beat the theater it has while shifting, brutal, fun and it never fails to make you smile. There are ways to still enjoy cars but going straight to EV is boring. I will have to get one at some point, I'm dreading that day as I await my G80
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
wtwo317968.50
      07-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #83
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
Sick of seeing M5CS in my feeds. Who gives a F about the CS. With only 25 in Canada and no chance of getting one it becomes completely irrelevant to me. Congratulations to the very fortunate few though.
Canada is only getting 25?
I dont think Canada's population is very high. They just have a lot of land, maybe thats why they get 25.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      07-29-2021, 10:33 AM   #84
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The funniest part of this video is the M5 Cs being put into Traction off RWD mode and still outlaunching the Hellcat... that one I don't get lol.

But I guess that's what you pay for... and its more than worth it.
      07-29-2021, 11:06 AM   #85
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchfiftyFive View Post
I'll be an ICE guy (though I completely support leaving your cats in place to do their job and chasing ever more efficient versions for as long as they exist) while the purpose of my vehicle is having fun. I only drive it 5-6K miles per year at most.

My buddy (also in Seattle area) that's also really into cars picked up a used P90D last year (he calls it a "supercar") and couldn't understand why I hated it, haha. They're so unoriginal, interior fit and finish is totally lacking, that particular version can only even run low 11's w/ a perfectly prepped battery, and he let me drive it and there's just zero emotion. The acceleration is there, it's fun, but it's just not the same! I love hearing my M5C (and everything I've had before it for the past decade) snarl and scream w/ the windows down as you put it through it's paces, I just don't get the same feeling in an EV.

Now, as a daily commuter at some point in the future, as a utility, I totally support owning one, but I'll never keep it in the same company as my M5C (or this totally bad ass M5CS), or my previous RS7, or a 911 Turbo S, even if it can be faster.
Agree. EVs have their advantages for sure, and I think for the majority of people they are perfect. But this power grab by politicians to eliminate ICE entirely irks me. My brother is in the market as well and wanted to test drive a Model 3. He's sort of a car enthusiast but not like me. He was underwhelmed. Everything about the Model 3 was fine, but I asked him "did it get your blood pumping?" and his reply was no. He wants an ICE sport sedan instead now. To Tesla's credit, the fit/finish of that example totally fine besides some cheapness in the center console.

On a side note, I don't buy into this mantra of having an EV as a daily commuter and fun ICE car for weekends. That sounds like a very expensive endeavor and a gigantic compromise. I want a car that thrills me every time I get behind the wheel. EV commuter makes sense if one is driving a lot and spending a ton on gas, but otherwise I would not get one. But of course, technology evolves over time. There aren't any truly enthusiast-oriented EVs on the market yet, but some automaker will attempt it soon enough.

Last edited by Germanauto; 07-29-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #86
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
FCA unfortunately engineers 99% of their products to the lowest common denominator. They know very well that Charger/Challenger customers are generally unsophisticated people who don't care a lick about handling. Why invest R&D into created a Charger on the Giorgio platform from Alfa?
Appreciate 2
ASAP10157.50
3RDSECTOR486.50
      07-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #87
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOSR View Post
This is pre window tint...when I heard that the CS was going to be a special color theme I opted for the Comp and added all the carbon, the forged wheels, steering wheel, and comp exhaust. Just finished the tint and next on the list is a piggyback. I should weigh the wheels and compare them to my stock wheels. I would be shocked if these wheels weren't more than 50 lbs lighter than the stock wheels. HUGE difference. Anyhow, unless you love the gold accents (they're not for me) and the carbon seats (not for me) then a properly specced Comp is is perfect for a sports sedan, or even better, IMHO.
Those wheels are 🔥 What are they?
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #88
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftpohyeah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
Canada is only getting 25?
I dont think Canada's population is very high. They just have a lot of land, maybe thats why they get 25.
Canada's whole population is about the same as the Los Angeles metro area.
Appreciate 0