BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-04-2024, 03:52 AM   #67
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post
When it comes to car audio, I don’t get too excited over “high end” names. The rep of the home audio brand doesn’t always translate for car audio.
Although, a modern car is more like a home theatre in terms of multiple seating position, surround speakers, digital source/content, and surround sound with associated necessity for environmental DSP.

Many of the legacy brands made their reputation in stereo analogue back in the day, but the modern car world is a digital domain, so those that excel in the HT and digital world are likely capable of doing a decent job in car.

Bottom line, car manufacturers just look for audio brand names that people recognise and will pay a premium for, but many car audio brands are part of the same group i.e. HK, B&O auto etc are ultimately subsidiaries of Samsung. In the case of B&O auto, it’s a subsidiary of Harman that uses some B&O IP under license in a deal struck around 2015.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 08:03 AM   #68
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Although, a modern car is more like a home theatre in terms of multiple seating position, surround speakers, digital source/content, and surround sound with associated necessity for environmental DSP.

Many of the legacy brands made their reputation in stereo analogue back in the day, but the modern car world is a digital domain, so those that excel in the HT and digital world are likely capable of doing a decent job in car.

Bottom line, car manufacturers just look for audio brand names that people recognise and will pay a premium for, but many car audio brands are part of the same group i.e. HK, B&O auto etc are ultimately subsidiaries of Samsung. In the case of B&O auto, it’s a subsidiary of Harman that uses some B&O IP under license in a deal struck around 2015.
I'd be surprised if any car B&O systems use their ICEpower Class D amps but highly doubt it. Until this and/or Dirac comes to car audio for on-demand calibration, color me unimpressed!

Car audio continues to be a "tack on" for cars unless Dolby Atmos music gets much more footing (BD Audio, SACD, and DVD-A certainly didn't)!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:35 AM   #69
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'd be surprised if any car B&O systems use their ICEpower Class D amps but highly doubt it. Until this and/or Dirac comes to car audio for on-demand calibration, color me unimpressed!

Car audio continues to be a "tack on" for cars unless Dolby Atmos music gets much more footing (BD Audio, SACD, and DVD-A certainly didn't)!
https://corporate.bang-olufsen.com/e...ers/automotive
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 09:48 AM   #70
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Great that ICEpower is used. That only solves efficiency and heat production. Dirac needs to show up for UXP and not just for development.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:29 AM   #71
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I did not know there was lesbian soccer. Do they kick the balls extra hard or avoid them completely?
all soccer is lesbian soccer
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:32 AM   #72
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
Are the neighbors lesbians? If so,pics are required
umm they look exactly like al the other soccer moms, they aren't scissoring on the front lawn, not when I've been looking anyways.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:41 AM   #73
Keefy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40d LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
all soccer is lesbian soccer
Easy now!
Modifications - AutoID Front Splitter. DTUK Pedalbox Plus. Gloss Black M Badges. 3d Maxpider Kuga Floor Matts & Cargo liner. BMW M-Performance Flow Through Spoiler. Mid-Trunk Spoiler. 15mm Spacers all round. AP Arch Guards. X3M Side Vents. 699M Wheels Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:17 AM   #74
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

Quote:
Great that ICEpower is used. That only solves efficiency and heat production. Dirac needs to show up for UXP and not just for development.
I don't believe it'll ever get to the point your implying. You need multiple averaged measurements around the head to get a good result.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:42 AM   #75
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
I don't believe it'll ever get to the point your implying. You need multiple averaged measurements around the head to get a good result.
Right. I don't believe it's coming either. That's why car audio will never match home audio. It's only coming to us one way and it's "one size fits all", regardless of how tall you are sitting in the seat!

The audio was calibrated to the height and taste of the car audio engineer, for better or for worse!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 03:11 AM   #76
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Right. I don't believe it's coming either. That's why car audio will never match home audio. It's only coming to us one way and it's "one size fits all", regardless of how tall you are sitting in the seat!

The audio was calibrated to the height and taste of the car audio engineer, for better or for worse!
That’s why I love the stuff about the fixed precision measurement people apply using third party products. Move the seat, add a passenger, open the roof blind, open/close the trunk cover, add a load, external/internal noise, etc.

There are just so many variables in a car interior that render this ineffective.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 08:41 AM   #77
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Minor hijack on the audio topic. Car audio is so subjective that no two people typically agree on the same thing. But, in my region, I need to be very mindful of emergency vehicles. Often I can hear them long before I can see them. The very dense traffic patterns will do some incredible gyrations to clear a path for them, which is as it should be; after all, it's likely pretty serious if the siren is sounding. The earlier I can hear them, the better I can plan on getting out of their way.

It torques me off to no end when I see an ambulance have to stop on the bumper of someone who has no clue they're behind them. I don't know if the person is busy on the phone, checking emails, or have their music cranked up. I do know it's a ticketable offense to obstruct an emergency vehicle, as well as being morally reprehensible.

So in my case, a portable concert hall is moot. When it comes to highway driving I'd need to raise the sound a lot to mask the wind noise, to the point my spouse would yell at me to turn it down anyway. Plus she likes very different audio entertainment than I do. One of the reasons I didn't order the HK system and can live just fine with the base system.
Appreciate 1
bouchy83.00
      05-07-2024, 09:13 AM   #78
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdal54 View Post
Minor hijack on the audio topic. Car audio is so subjective that no two people typically agree on the same thing. But, in my region, I need to be very mindful of emergency vehicles. Often I can hear them long before I can see them. The very dense traffic patterns will do some incredible gyrations to clear a path for them, which is as it should be; after all, it's likely pretty serious if the siren is sounding. The earlier I can hear them, the better I can plan on getting out of their way.

It torques me off to no end when I see an ambulance have to stop on the bumper of someone who has no clue they're behind them. I don't know if the person is busy on the phone, checking emails, or have their music cranked up. I do know it's a ticketable offense to obstruct an emergency vehicle, as well as being morally reprehensible.

So in my case, a portable concert hall is moot. When it comes to highway driving I'd need to raise the sound a lot to mask the wind noise, to the point my spouse would yell at me to turn it down anyway. Plus she likes very different audio entertainment than I do. One of the reasons I didn't order the HK system and can live just fine with the base system.
Was there a point
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 09:27 AM   #79
5LEEPR_G01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LCI X3M40i

Garage List
23 X3 M40i  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
Was there a point
Yeah, he shared his thoughts on the audio topic? I see you often post sensitive commentary lol go outside and touch some grass bud
Appreciate 1
Rottweiler4042.00
      05-07-2024, 10:32 AM   #80
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

[QUOTE=lfdal54;31132926]It torques me off to no end when I see an ambulance have to stop on the bumper of someone who has no clue they're behind them. I don't know if the person is busy on the phone, checking emails, or have their music cranked up. I do know it's a ticketable offense to obstruct an emergency vehicle, as well as being morally reprehensible.

Another possibility: they’re deaf.

One time, I was riding my Beemer on the highway. A Lincoln Town Car started to change lanes into me. I laid on the (upgraded) horn and swerved into the breakdown lane. The elderly driver and passenger didn’t see or hear me.
      05-07-2024, 01:05 PM   #81
lfdal54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post

Another possibility: they’re deaf.

Damn, we have lots of deaf drivers in Massachusetts.

Although seriously I did look it up, deafness is not an impediment to getting a license in any of the 50 states. Around here I would not be comfortable driving deaf.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:11 AM   #82
Swen6
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
umm they look exactly like al the other soccer moms, they aren't scissoring on the front lawn, not when I've been looking anyways.
...you'll probably find it's not like the internet...they're generally scary and not something you'd want to watch
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:30 AM   #83
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen6 View Post
...you'll probably find it's not like the internet...they're generally scary and not something you'd want to watch
now you're just being silly, they are not at all scary. one of them offers advise on financial planning the other helps you when you have a big tree to plant. nothing to fear there. unless you meant in the bedroom, in which case I've always found it much better to not try to figure out what anyone does when naked, if I'm not there I don't need to know.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:32 AM   #84
Swen6
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
A sport minivan would sell like crazy… or I’m completely overestimating the demand.

I wish BMW kept the 3 row X5 and also took a look at Kia’s implementation of how a second row should move to gain access to the third row… slow electric motors in the X5/7 render it absolutely useless as a family hauler if you need that 3rd row.
In the early 2010's here in Europe Opel/Vauxhall released a sporty van in the shape of the Zafira VXR. In it's time was a smart looking People Carrier/Mini-van but even a little over 10yrs on they look dated.

...more recently Mercedes have the GLB35 which has the ability of 300bhp and 7 seats, we had a lesser model for a year and I absolutly hated the gear selector being on the end of a indicator style stalk, but you wouldn't want to be in the third row for a long distance, and the second row takes a hit when you try to make the third row more comfortable if you slide the bench forward, just all gets a little messy lol ...the electric equivalent EQB can come with up to 290bhp?
Appreciate 0