BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Carbahn response from dealership

08-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
lynxbat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

Carbahn response from dealership

So I emailed my local dealership who is (and was) a Dinan shop also.

Interesting response on Carbahn per the service manager. Definitely making me rethink it.

>
Good Morning,

Congratulations on your purchase. That is a fine vehicle.

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, <dealership name> is no longer endorsing the installation of 3rd party software or components (DINAN included). Current modifications to dealer scanning tools / software make it near impossible for software and piggybacks to evade detection.

BMW now flags VIN#s when scanned and for 3rd party software or abnormal boost levels. As a result, any potential drivetrain malfunction may not be covered under warranty as a result. This has lead us to no longer participate in potentially voiding the manufacture's warranty for our clients.

If this is the route you end up taking I will caution you against it for the reasons mentioned.

We are happy to service your vehicle for it's routine maintenance/ routine service, but unfortunately cannot help in this regard.

Enjoy your new ride!
>
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #2
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Well, are they a Carbhan dealer or is it just your local dealer? Not all BMW dealers work with Carbahn. If they are not a Carbahn dealer then what you received would be an expected response. Only Carbahn dealer can install the tunes and warranty it.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 07:58 PM   #3
Dethsupp0rt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Well, are they a Carbhan dealer or is it just your local dealer? Not all BMW dealers work with Carbahn. If they are not a Carbahn dealer then what you received would be an expected response. Only Carbahn dealer can install the tunes and warranty it.
Exactly. BMW isn't warrantying anything, Carbahn/Dinan are. That's why their tunes are so expensive, so they can eat a $30k repair bill on the 2% of cars that might have an issue, and still come out ahead.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:10 PM   #4
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
Exactly. BMW isn't warrantying anything, Carbahn/Dinan are. That's why their tunes are so expensive, so they can eat a $30k repair bill on the 2% of cars that might have an issue, and still come out ahead.
And to add to that, BMW Dealerships that are not Carbahn dealers (which is the majority of them) will for sure advise the customers against it since:

1. They won't be installing the tune.
2. They won't be able to warranty it since they are not an official Carbahn dealer.

So in end effect, the dealership gets nothing from it unless they are a Carbahn dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Yeah their email is correct. If you are tuning your engine, forget about warranty for that engine. Rest of the car still under warranty. Pay to play as they say.

Carbahn does offer their own warranty with the tune, maybe look into that.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 06:28 AM   #6
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

bmw didn't just start flagging VIN's when they get plugged in, this has beeen going on.. And i'm sure it's happening on the forum, but how many people you think are going to come out and say they got flagged?

Friendly advice, don't tune.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
lynxbat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They were a Dinan dealer. But dropped Dinan and will not support any tunes now. This was the response.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 09:08 AM   #8
lynxbat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And to add to that, BMW Dealerships that are not Carbahn dealers (which is the majority of them) will for sure advise the customers against it since:

1. They won't be installing the tune.
2. They won't be able to warranty it since they are not an official Carbahn dealer.

So in end effect, the dealership gets nothing from it unless they are a Carbahn dealer.
Fair. But in this case, this is a dealer who DID do Dinan for a long time and is saying that due to changing BMW behavior, they dropped it. Not the same story.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:59 PM   #9
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB M5

Just because you have a tune doesn't mean your warranty is voided. They will flag your car for suspicion of engine (see pic). They document so that if in the future they feel you car has a problem that is a result of the tune they can deny the claim under warranty. This is where Carbahn would step in and pay for the repair. Personally that exactly why I purchased a tune from them. I wanted more power, but I also wanted peace of mind. It may be more expensive and might not give you some the most power of any tune out there, but the car feels amazing and I can sleep at night not worrying about a $20K repair bill. My advice is do it. Trust me you won't regret it!

PS - I wrote a review of the tune previously I'll find the link and add it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
lynxbat17.00
Egrunt553.00
      08-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #10
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Carbahn stage one tune review I wrote: CarBahn Tune Review https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1782704.
Appreciate 1
Jimmy K123.00
      08-22-2021, 10:24 PM   #11
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Has anyone ever had Carbahn actually pick up a bill? I am seeing more and more dealers backing out of being a "Carbahn dealer" lately. Wonder if it has anything to do with honoring warranties.

Would be great to hear of someone who's engine replacement they actually covered...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 05:30 PM   #12
MBBM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Has anyone ever had Carbahn actually pick up a bill? I am seeing more and more dealers backing out of being a "Carbahn dealer" lately. Wonder if it has anything to do with honoring warranties.

Would be great to hear of someone who's engine replacement they actually covered...
That's assuming one of their tunes caused an engine to fail. Personally I haven't had any issues which is why I went with them!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 09:19 PM   #13
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBBM5 View Post
That's assuming one of their tunes caused an engine to fail. Personally I haven't had any issues which is why I went with them!
Stage 1 tunes typically are not an issue with most tuners. You typically get into isseus once you start going to Stage 2 and above. Carbahn is playing the numbers game.

My local BMW dealership is no longer a Carbahn dealer. I spoke to a service advisor and they were not very happy with them - but couldn't get into details.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #14
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

you guys are delusional if you think anyone is picking up a 40k repair bill. BMW will make sure they blame the fault on the tune, good luck arguing with them.
Appreciate 2
sandwi54538.00
      10-18-2021, 09:14 PM   #15
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
you guys are delusional if you think anyone is picking up a 40k repair bill. BMW will make sure they blame the fault on the tune, good luck arguing with them.
Exactly. I find it hilarious that anyone with a tune thinks bmw will work to prove the tune does not cause an engine damage. No, they will deny warranty claim without doing anything g and it is on you to prove it and go through the litigation process.
      10-18-2021, 11:02 PM   #16
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
100% Agreed. Having dealt with Carbahn where they inconveninced me and the local dealership for days to get out of paying $200, THERE IS NO WAY THEY ARE PAYING FOR ANYTHING! Not to mention the dealership losing a loaner car for a few days because of their lies.

That's why I was asking if there is even one instance where they picked up a bill after admitting fault. They seem like the type where they would go out of business before admitting fault - but they don't have a problem charging the customer $1,500 for a dubious warranty without any issues
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:45 PM   #17
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
100% Agreed. Having dealt with Carbahn where they inconveninced me and the local dealership for days to get out of paying $200, THERE IS NO WAY THEY ARE PAYING FOR ANYTHING! Not to mention the dealership losing a loaner car for a few days because of their lies.

That's why I was asking if there is even one instance where they picked up a bill after admitting fault. They seem like the type where they would go out of business before admitting fault - but they don't have a problem charging the customer $1,500 for a dubious warranty without any issues

200 bucks? LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #18
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
200 bucks? LOL
Yes, it was pathetic. They basically wanted me to cover the labor for something they said was not needed when I purchased their tune.

I didn't do it out of principle and ended up returning the tune - it wasn't even because of the money. It was a bait and switch tactic where they kept digging a deeper hole and a the end what they said when they sold me the tune was 100% incorrect.

The dealership actually warned me that what they were saying was not correct, but still gave me a loaner. 3 days later we were at step 1 because they kept giving the dealership wrong information. I had actually written up a summary on the M2C forums.

I can only imagine what a nightmare an engine claim would be with these guys.
Appreciate 0