BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    M5C vs X5MC

09-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #1
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X5MC, '23 X5 45e

M5C vs X5MC

Anyone gone from one of these to the other? I'm awaiting an allocation on a new F90 M5C, but I'm wondering if I should consider the X5MC as well?

I had a 22 X5 M50i previously and currently driving an iX.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #2
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake6551 View Post
Anyone gone from one of these to the other? I'm awaiting an allocation on a new F90 M5C, but I'm wondering if I should consider the X5MC as well?

I haven't owned the X5MC, but while I was awaiting the build of my LCI M5C, I started shopping around for all sorts of different cars that were immediately available as I was losing my patience. As I have mentioned before on the forum, two of the many cars I checked out during that time were an X5MC and and X6MC. I was given the X5MC for a 24 hour test drive.

The good — it's beautiful, powerful, and utilitarian, and sounds pretty good (especially as compared to its X6MC brother). Squeezing that much power into an SUV of that size is awesome.

I would say if you need/like an SUV, like BMW/M products, like to have the power on tap, and want to do SUV type stuff with it, it's fantastic.

The bad — it's still an SUV. You're never going to get the handling to a similar feel of the M5C. Its higher, the center of gravity is not the same, and it does experience body roll. The whole thing is a bit unwieldy. We're just talking physics here.

You have to remember you're still driving a heavy SUV that you could easily put on two wheels if you're not careful (especially with all that power). Approach a corner or a curve in an M5C, pedal to the metal no problem! The M5C thrives there. In the X5MC, you're releasing the accelerator as you get into those situations, like you would any other SUV. Being an M product doesn't change the laws of gravity unfortunately.

Before I had my first M5 that I was shopping these cars to replace it with, I had a full size Range Rover. I had had large SUVs as my DDs for years. But after 2 1/2 years without driving one, I became used to the agility of the M5C that is inherent with it being a car. I just couldn't go back to an SUV and having to be careful with driving spiritedly and worrying about flipping something so top heavy.

For you, since you had/have an SUV, this may be less of an issue. I think it comes down to this: if you need an SUV and want the M feel, go with the X5MC. If you want to drive these cars the way they were meant to be driven, go with the M5C. If you don't need an SUV, the M5C is probably the way to go. It's size and four doors still make it pretty practical for something with that much power. Not too long ago, while in a pinch and without time to switch cars to my SUV (not a BMW product), I transported a specialty mattress with it, and not too long before that, also in a pinch, I got an entire large eat in kitchen table and chairs set in it — no problem. The trunk space is pretty commodious, the rear seats fold, and even getting a fair amount of cargo in the back seats is totally feasible.

Let us know what you go with!
      09-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My wife has an X5 already, so I don't really need an SUV. My kids are 2 and 5 and they will fit fine in the M5C as well, we'd likely take her X5 on trips.

I also tend to prefer the seating position of sedans, which is why I think I never really loved my X5 M50i. It was practical and fast, but even with DHP and everyone online saying how well it drives, it still drove and leaned like an SUV to me. I keep thinking the X5MC is the same way, it's probably great for an SUV but it won't handle like the M5C. I drove a used LCI M5 in inventory the other day and it was great, haven't been able to find an X5M to drive yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My wife has an X5 already, so I don't really need an SUV. My kids are 2 and 5 and they will fit fine in the M5C as well, we'd likely take her X5 on trips.

I also tend to prefer the seating position of sedans, which is why I think I never really loved my X5 M50i. It was practical and fast, but even with DHP and everyone online saying how well it drives, it still drove and leaned like an SUV to me. I keep thinking the X5MC is the same way, it's probably great for an SUV but it won't handle like the M5C. I drove a used LCI M5 in inventory the other day and it was great, haven't been able to find an X5M to drive yet.
Everything you've said seems to point in the direction of the M5C, then. Especially with another SUV (and an X5 at that) in the home suited to doing things you'd want an SUV for. The M5C is a much more visceral experience than the X5MC could ever be. Now on my second F90, with a combined few years of ownership, it's the best DD I've ever had. If I was in your position, I wouldn't even consider the X5MC.
      09-14-2022, 12:15 PM   #5
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Everything you've said seems to point in the direction of the M5C, then. Especially with another SUV (and an X5 at that) in the home suited to doing things you'd want an SUV for. The M5C is a much more visceral experience than the X5MC could ever be. Now on my second one, with a combined few years of ownership, it's the best DD I've ever had. If I was in your position, I wouldn't even consider the X5MC.
That's where I was leaning originally, then I see a few folks on the F95 forum talk about how it drives close to an F90, more space etc, which does sound tempting, but I can't see how that's possible...

I owned the M50i and my wife's 45e at the same time, and there's very little handling difference between them for the cost difference, it's minor compared to the praise heaped on DHP on the forums. You'd think the M50i with DHP would drive like an M3 after reading the forums. Kinda feels like the same story line on the X5MC...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 01:31 PM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

It weighs 1000 lbs more than an M5 so the handling and performance cannot be comparable, but it probably is good for an SUV. I’d buy a Cayenne Turbo if you want the best handling in an SUV.
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:

I’ve owned the F90 , F97 and the F95 with a Turbo S.

F95 has a bit better interior than the Full Merino F90 because BMW pulled the M8 interior into the F95 X5MC.

F90 is awesome. Best 4 door saloon on the planet IMHO.

F95 X5MC is light years better than the Cayenne Turbo. Drove one for a bit because I actually wanted to add a second Porsche. Was disappointed. Now the Cayenne GT does get it done if you can find one at $200k.

The X5MC is in a different universe vs the 50 MSport. My buddy ownes one. He will buy a X5MC next.

Spend time in both before you buy something. Both rides are excellent at what they do.
Appreciate 1
Neptune71432.50
      09-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #8
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
I’ve owned the F90 , F97 and the F95 with a Turbo S.

F95 has a bit better interior than the Full Merino F90 because BMW pulled the M8 interior into the F95 X5MC.

F90 is awesome. Best 4 door saloon on the planet IMHO.

F95 X5MC is light years better than the Cayenne Turbo. Drove one for a bit because I actually wanted to add a second Porsche. Was disappointed. Now the Cayenne GT does get it done if you can find one at $200k.

The X5MC is in a different universe vs the 50 MSport. My buddy ownes one. He will buy a X5MC next.

Spend time in both before you buy something. Both rides are excellent at what they do.
Would you say the ride is much different in comparison between the F90 and F95? Everyone raves about the F90 LCI ride, but a lot of the auto journalists seemed to think the X5MC is overly harsh.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 07:09 PM   #9
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Would you say the ride is much different in comparison between the F90 and F95? Everyone raves about the F90 LCI ride, but a lot of the auto journalists seemed to think the X5MC is overly harsh.
The F97 is the roughest, by far, of the bunch. My F90 was not a Comp and the ride was great. The X5MC “might” be very slightly stiffer than the F90, but very close. The X5MC and 911 are close. We are in our 60’s and will take the X5MC anytime on a long trip. It’s comfortable.

But, the best opinion is yours. Test drive it for at least an hour to make sure YOU are happy as opinions will vary person to person.

With 0 being an old flat fendered Willy’s Jeep I drove 50 years ago.

With 10 being a couch cushion.

F97 Comp is a 5
F95 Comp is an 8
Turbo S is an 8
F90 base is a 9

Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 08:10 PM   #10
blake6551
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The F97 is the roughest, by far, of the bunch. My F90 was not a Comp and the ride was great. The X5MC “might” be very slightly stiffer than the F90, but very close. The X5MC and 911 are close. We are in our 60’s and will take the X5MC anytime on a long trip. It’s comfortable.

But, the best opinion is yours. Test drive it for at least an hour to make sure YOU are happy as opinions will vary person to person.

F97 Comp is a 5
F95 Comp is an 8
Turbo S is an 8
F90 base is a 9

Good luck !
Thanks! I'm familiar with 911's and have spent time in a F90 base, both completely acceptable to me. Good to hear on using it for trips!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:

F97 Comp is a 5
F95 Comp is an 8
Turbo S is an 8
F90 base is a 9

Good luck !
M5 CS is an 8

I have owned or driven all of these and concur. The Cayenne was very disappointing, and honestly even the Turbo GT was for me too. I like my X5M's hatch way too much to give it up to be ever so slightly "faster". Never mind that I can't fold the seats down to load large bulky objects without walking around and pulling the tabs. I much prefer the X5M's rear seat fold latches.

I have both the M5 CS and X5M right now in my garage and I prefer to take the X5m
      09-20-2022, 12:50 AM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Quote:

F97 Comp is a 5
F95 Comp is an 8
Turbo S is an 8
F90 base is a 9

Good luck !
M5 CS is an 8

I have owned or driven all of these and concur. The Cayenne was very disappointing, and honestly even the Turbo GT was for me too. I like my X5M's hatch way too much to give it up to be ever so slightly "faster". Never mind that I can't fold the seats down to load large bulky objects without walking around and pulling the tabs. I much prefer the X5M's rear seat fold latches.

I have both the M5 CS and X5M right now in my garage and I prefer to take the X5m
Interesting take!