BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Anyone upgrade from M550 to F90 M5?

09-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #1
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Anyone upgrade from M550 to F90 M5?

I currently drive a 2018 M550i. I love my car but often find myself wishing it was more aggressive. There is too much body roll in turns , not enough pops off throttle, and not enough power. My car is fast but hey, I want more.

I do like the fact that my car is comfortable and practical - but I'm assuming that an F90 in comfort mode is soft enough to be relaxing and luxurious for commuting / daily driving with spouse and kids. I don't need grandpa soft, but I'm almost 50, so I do appreciate the csr being quiet and comfy "sometimes". But the other 90% of the time I want it to breathe fire and hammer corners.

Finances have improved and I have the ability to upgrade / swap my car fir an F90. I'd probably buy a CPO.. maybe a 2019 competition ?

Who has made the switch and what do you think ? How would you compare the M550 v M5 ? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #2
jzy
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 G30, '21 F90

I made the switch earlier this year and wished I had done it sooner than later. I agree with you in every aspect of the 550i but once you drive an F90, I'm sure you would not want to go back. The one thing I did notice right away is that the F90 does ride a bit stiffer in comfort mode vs the 550i but other than that, it's basically the same car on steroids. Engage the M mode and you'll have a never ending smile on your face. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:28 PM   #3
PaLaKaT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
I currently drive a 2018 M550i. I love my car but often find myself wishing it was more aggressive. There is too much body roll in turns , not enough pops off throttle, and not enough power. My car is fast but hey, I want more.

I do like the fact that my car is comfortable and practical - but I'm assuming that an F90 in comfort mode is soft enough to be relaxing and luxurious for commuting / daily driving with spouse and kids. I don't need grandpa soft, but I'm almost 50, so I do appreciate the csr being quiet and comfy "sometimes". But the other 90% of the time I want it to breathe fire and hammer corners.

Finances have improved and I have the ability to upgrade / swap my car fir an F90. I'd probably buy a CPO.. maybe a 2019 competition ?

Who has made the switch and what do you think ? How would you compare the M550 v M5 ? Thanks!
I switched from 2021 M550 to 2019 M5 Comp. Performance wise it cant be compared.. as for comfort M550 is softer and smoother. I did drive my friends M5 Base (non comp) it was softer and i think could be close to M550.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #4
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

This might not be a popular opinion but a opinion none the less. If you need a four door sedan with the agility to transport 4 passengers I would stay with the M550i. I have owned a BMW M3 F80 (2015) for 4 years before transitioning to a 2018 M5 in August of 2018. Yes I passed over the M550i and I have enjoyed driving the F90 M5 for the past 3 years. With that being said, to enjoy the capabilities of the M5 one has to drive it on the race track or exceed the limits of the vehicle code / speed limits to experience what the M5 brings to the table so to speak. Am I glad I bought the M5, yes, but I am already looking for another vehicle outside of BMW. Even my base M5 is grossly over powered to drive within the limits of the roadway. However I understand the meaning of spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 10:26 AM   #5
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

The OP already has a 550i so already knows how it feels to own an overpowered saloon car for public roads.
I would think an F90 Comp would be, in comfort mode, still sharper and harder than a 550i, the base F90 a little closer as DB_BMW states.
Once you dial everything back, my F90 Comp is decently comfy and eats up the miles. It's not too noisy you can't hear the sound system, or too hard riding that you dread every expansion joint, especially with the excelling front seats. And it always feels like a tensed muscle waiting to be unleashed.
But, it's probably a little louder mainly tyre noise, less roomy inside due to those big front seats, less fuel efficient, less comfortable ride as it's always feels like it wants to attack mode, more expensive to own...and you can hardly ever unleash it due to the masses of power reserve it has and our (UK) constipated with trucks, congested with morons, camera infested, traffic light festooned, traffic calmed, pot holed and crumbling roads.
It's still a ruddy nice thing to own though even just looking at it on my driveway and when that S63 V8 starts, I always feel a big smile on my face I can't hide
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01157.00