BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Power Steering Issue

02-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #1
Isomorphism
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 competition

Power Steering Issue

After starting the car yesterday, I found that the steering became very heavy, the car is in comfort mode but it's quite difficult to turn the steering wheel when it is still. I kept driving for a while and it eased a bit, but the steering feel was really strange, it changed between light and heavy from time to time. This is the first time I experienced such issue after purchasing the car new since last year, don't know if it is normal due to the cold weather in NJ these 2 days or I should take the car to the mechanics.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 06:25 AM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorphism View Post
After starting the car yesterday, I found that the steering became very heavy, the car is in comfort mode but it's quite difficult to turn the steering wheel when it is still. I kept driving for a while and it eased a bit, but the steering feel was really strange, it changed between light and heavy from time to time. This is the first time I experienced such issue after purchasing the car new since last year, don't know if it is normal due to the cold weather in NJ these 2 days or I should take the car to the mechanics.
Not normal, go to dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 06:47 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I would normally say check the power steering fluid, but in these cars instead there is an electric motor. Extreme cold can affect electrical stuff in weird ways. Is the problem still there in the warmer weather now in the mid-Atlantic? Did you pull any codes with a high level scan tool?
Appreciate 0