BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Transmission and differential oil changes

09-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #1
fun2drv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW M5  [10.00]
2023 BMW M5  [0.00]
Transmission and differential oil changes

Hi!
My 2019 has a little over 42K miles now. I got a warning light the other day and when I looked into the message it showed that an oil change is required within the next 1,100 miles. I kept probing the iDrive for a while and also found that a transmission and differential fluids changes are also required. I'm getting ready to make an appointment with the service department and I can only get the information for the oil change. Can't find where the notice for the transmission and differential fluids changes is. I just moved to a new state and this will be the first time taking the car to a BMW dealer here.

Any suggestions on how to find the "missing" maintenance message?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 07:31 PM   #2
Eljeffrey13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw f90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drv View Post
Hi!
My 2019 has a little over 42K miles now. I got a warning light the other day and when I looked into the message it showed that an oil change is required within the next 1,100 miles. I kept probing the iDrive for a while and also found that a transmission and differential fluids changes are also required. I'm getting ready to make an appointment with the service department and I can only get the information for the oil change. Can't find where the notice for the transmission and differential fluids changes is. I just moved to a new state and this will be the first time taking the car to a BMW dealer here.

Any suggestions on how to find the "missing" maintenance message?

Thanks!
If u have the maintenance plan they will change the front and rear differential fluids and transfer case at 50k u have to pay for the tranny oil change since bmw says its lifetime.. but ZF which makes the tranny recommends a oil change at 60k, i just had all the service done since my car has 52k miles and im planning on changing the tranny fluid out of pocket before it hits 60k
      09-08-2022, 06:58 AM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I just ordered the front and rear diff and transfer case fluids. Already have brake fluid and may do that this weekend. At 40k miles on my 2018. Will probably wait a year or 2 to do the trans. Did a partial coolant refresh when changing the thermostat recently and did spark plugs about 15k miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2023, 08:39 PM   #4
916_M5
IG: @M5RCY_
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I just ordered the front and rear diff and transfer case fluids. Already have brake fluid and may do that this weekend. At 40k miles on my 2018. Will probably wait a year or 2 to do the trans. Did a partial coolant refresh when changing the thermostat recently and did spark plugs about 15k miles ago.
how much oil did you use.
According to my research it should be

600mL Front Diff. 1 L Rear Diff. 1 L Transfer Case.

Does this sound right to you guys?
Appreciate 0