E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > RADIO HARNESS

11-02-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
MCEvolution
An Evo6 & a beamer - SORTED!
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

RADIO HARNESS

Does anyone have a diagram or colour coding for the E90's Business Radio Harness please?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 03:02 AM   #2
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Good luck, but besides the colourigs and layout a few things to know:

1. There´s no ignition lead in the harness
2. The power lead get´s shut of 30 minutes after the car has been shut down
3. There´s no speed signal in the harness.

The business radio gets all the lacking singals though CAN-BUS

So a diagram will only get you half ways if you intend to intall an aftermarket stereo. You will not only need an adaptor for the harness but also a CAN-BUS interface. Or you need to tap different wiring harnesses all over the car to get the lacking signals.

A good tip is to ask a dealer to print out the instructions for the BMW Indianapolis retrofit kit. In it you´ll find diagrams telling you which lines to cut into where in the car to get the lacking signals (power and ignition need to be gotten from the CAS module thats somewhere left ot the steering wheel (in LHD), speed puls from the DSC unit in the engine compartment).

Retrofitting an aftermarket stereo in the E90 is not for the faint hearted. Be prepared to take a lot more of the car apart than you ever expected. Been there done that, advise to do so only if you´re very fit with vehicle electronics. Before I laid hand on my car, I got myself an ETK, TIS and WDS and read for a few weeks...
      11-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #3
MCEvolution
An Evo6 & a beamer - SORTED!
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Thank you for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 03:29 AM   #4
Plinio
Rep
Drives: 320d E90

Hi Tierfreund

Wouldnt you have a copy of the BMW Indianapolis retrofit kit?

I´m planning to install an amplifier and I would like to know if there is any way of geeting a line-out signal from the proffesional radio (can it be reprogrammen via SW?)

If this cant be done I will install a LOC like the AudioControl LC6 or the XETEC USC-EVO. Both of them have signal sensors so they activate when they receive signal from radio when there is no power-on lead. The only thing is that I will have to get the 12v from somewhere else!

Regards!

Plinio
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

I´m sorry, I had the retrofit instructions, but I can´t seem to find them anymore. But they were in german anyway. Any dealer should be able to print them out for you though.
      11-09-2005, 03:42 AM   #6
Plinio
Rep

Thank you again Tierfreund!

I´m trying to figure out the wat to get the speaker-level audio signal from the Prf Radio to connect to a XETEC-USC and an amplifier without having to cut the cables.

Do you know if I can jut get a radio harness or would I need a CAN.MOST adapter?

I really just need the audio signal becouse the USC has a power-on feature that connects it when it detect an audio signal coming in. The amplifier would receive the power-on signal from the USC. So I just need a 12v imput, probably from the lighter.

Do you know what kind of radio harness it has? How many pins?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2005, 03:53 AM   #7
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinio
Thank you again Tierfreund!

I´m trying to figure out the wat to get the speaker-level audio signal from the Prf Radio to connect to a XETEC-USC and an amplifier without having to cut the cables.

Do you know if I can jut get a radio harness or would I need a CAN.MOST adapter?

I really just need the audio signal becouse the USC has a power-on feature that connects it when it detect an audio signal coming in. The amplifier would receive the power-on signal from the USC. So I just need a 12v imput, probably from the lighter.

Do you know what kind of radio harness it has? How many pins?

Thank you!
There are no CAN.MOST adaptors. The CAN and the MOSt are two different busses. The CAN is a car bus that has signals such as ignition, speed, phone mute etc. The Radio is connected to CAN to read those signals. The MOST bus is a different bus only forn navigation and enterntainment siganls. The Radio Professional is the MOST-Buus Master. It communicates with the CD-Changer and with the Logic 7 amplifier (if so equiped) via MOST.

As for your question: That depends. If you have neither the HIFI-System nor the Logic 7, then the only signal the Professional radio is programmed to give are the speaker line signals. Those are too high powered to feed directly into the amp. You´d need a high-power to line voltage adaptor.
If you have the hifi-system, those same speaker lines are fed into the factory amp. I´m not sure about this, but it might be that the Professional radio si then programmed to deliver only line voltage through those wires. Or the amp is built to take the higher line voltage. If you have the Logic 7, the speaker lines of the Professional radio are not used at all. Then the audio signal from the radio is fed to the logic 7 amp via the digital MOST Bus.

I´m hesitant to give you any advice on which line to cut into because I can´t say for sure. And I don´t want to be responsible for your equipment going up in smoke. So you´ll have to proceed at your own risk.

The only signal that IS easy to find at the professional radio is an amp remote lead. Because the radio still feeds a supply voltage to the antenna amplifier quite traditionally through a 12volt line that has voltage when the radio is on. That line is in the main radio harness.
      11-10-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
Plinio
Rep

thank you! Tierfreund!

So, is there a harness so I can take out the speaker signals without cutting the cables? Some kind of adpater with a loom?

do you think the Pro radio can be programmed to give out line-out signal?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 07:04 AM   #9
Plinio
Rep

harness adapter

Do you think that this harness adapter will fit in the E90 Professional Radio?

I need it to take out the speaker signal, insert the bluetooth and put the amplifier output signal back to the wires going to all the speakers!

Regards!

Plinio
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2005, 07:08 AM   #10
Plinio
Rep

This is the XETEC-USC speaker level adapter I want use to hook up a STEG QM75.4 amplifier!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2005, 02:26 AM   #11
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinio
Do you think that this harness adapter will fit in the E90 Professional Radio?

I need it to take out the speaker signal, insert the bluetooth and put the amplifier output signal back to the wires going to all the speakers!

Regards!

Plinio
No. That´s a very old system shown there. The E90 Professional Radio has a different pulg. (square instead of round connectors). You´ll probaly have to cut into the wires.
      11-11-2005, 02:28 AM   #12
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Wyh don´t you take the radio out and look at the plug yourself. That´ll answer many of your questions.

If you can get that far, that is. The radio is easy to take out once you have managed to take the climate controls out. But taking the climate controls out is incredibly difficult.
      11-11-2005, 02:34 AM   #13
Plinio
Rep

Thank You, How do I take them out? Pulling the black cover?

Could it be this one then?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #14
Rafeek
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 323i Sport

Radio Mute

Professional Installer has installed a Nokia CK-7W Bluetoth Car kit into 2006 E90 323i Sport but cannot get radio to mute on incoming call. Anyone with any ideas on how and where to find the wire to mute the radio
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2005, 06:51 AM   #15
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafeek
Professional Installer has installed a Nokia CK-7W Bluetoth Car kit into 2006 E90 323i Sport but cannot get radio to mute on incoming call. Anyone with any ideas on how and where to find the wire to mute the radio

There is no mute wire on the E90 stock radios. No such luck. The radios are muted through the CAN-BUS. You can´t even kill the iginition lead with a circuit breaker because there is no igintion lead either. The stock radios get that info through the CAN-BUS as well. So until somebody starts selling a CAN-BUS input device (very touchy subject, cause do something wrong and the whole car will start acting up. So far the only CAN-BUS aftermarket interfaces are read-only), your out of luck. Th only option would be to put a circuit breaker on every single speaker wire and activate those with the mute wire from the BT unit.

Sorry, I guess you´ll have to mute by hand....
      12-22-2005, 07:43 AM   #16
Rafeek
Registered
Rep

Thank you. I see many posts regarding a BMW muting kit! Do you have knowledge whether this is available for the E90 and if so what is the part number.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 07:59 AM   #17
Tierfreund
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. I see many posts regarding a BMW muting kit! Do you have knowledge whether this is available for the E90 and if so what is the part number.
I haven´t seen any muting kit for the E90. Can´t find it at realoem.com either.
      12-23-2005, 03:03 AM   #18
Rafeek
Registered
Rep

Unhappy

Thank you - my local dealer has quoted R5740.00 for a retrofit kit - I'll have to manually mute.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #19
danny_01
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d (e90)

It's on PIN 9
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2006, 10:27 AM   #20
danny_01
Rep
Drives: BMW 318d (e90)

Quote:
It's on PIN 9
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #21
marell01
Private
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: -09 335i Coupe M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund View Post
The only signal that IS easy to find at the professional radio is an amp remote lead. Because the radio still feeds a supply voltage to the antenna amplifier quite traditionally through a 12volt line that has voltage when the radio is on. That line is in the main radio harness.
Hi, please advise what pinout or what is the color of that cable... Need it to start my handsfree unit...

Sincerely Marcus
      10-15-2007, 05:35 AM   #22
sdnelson11
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 330i S, 6sp, P, Nav, CW

radio adapter harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinio View Post
Thank You, How do I take them out? Pulling the black cover? Could it be this one then?
Plinio - or anyone else keen to this topic -- regarding the picture of the harness in Plinio's post, the one on the left that plugs into E90 radio and takes the E90 harness into it ... where can I buy this?

Thanks,
Scott
Appreciate 0