BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    recurring misfire and limp mode

09-07-2023, 10:08 AM   #1
calligee
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

recurring misfire and limp mode

i bought a brand new M5 comp back in march this year. a few weeks later, it went into limp mode and had a misfire. the car had its running in service and has been very looked after. its been in and out of BMW since (5 times so far) and the issue it still ongoing. the car is still throwing out the same fault codes and engine warning light and all they can say is they dont know what the issue is. they have changed fuel injectors twice.

they are now saying it could be the trakcer but everything i have read and researched say a tracker is impossible to make a car misfire and run like sh*t.

ive not made any modifications to the car at all.

has anyone else has a similar issue? do i just tell BMW to take the car back?

any advise would be really appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 01:02 PM   #2
jivom5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi a7, c7 grandsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by calligee View Post
i bought a brand new M5 comp back in march this year. a few weeks later, it went into limp mode and had a misfire. the car had its running in service and has been very looked after. its been in and out of BMW since (5 times so far) and the issue it still ongoing. the car is still throwing out the same fault codes and engine warning light and all they can say is they dont know what the issue is. they have changed fuel injectors twice.

they are now saying it could be the trakcer but everything i have read and researched say a tracker is impossible to make a car misfire and run like sh*t.

ive not made any modifications to the car at all.

has anyone else has a similar issue? do i just tell BMW to take the car back?

any advise would be really appreciated!

posting the codes would help give an idea of whats going on, could be fueling related,could be spark related, could be so many different thing
2021 panamera 4s
2021 M5
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 01:07 PM   #3
calligee
Rep

Aaa very good point! I’ll get them tomorrow and post it. All I know is bmw have told me they don’t know what the error code means so they don’t know how to fix it 🤦🏻‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #4
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Aaa very good point! I’ll get them tomorrow and post it. All I know is bmw have told me they don’t know what the error code means so they don’t know how to fix it 🤦🏻‍♂️
What are your plans for the car? Is it a lease or financed with plans to keep. If the latter definitely turn it back to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
calligee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivom5 View Post
posting the codes would help give an idea of whats going on, could be fueling related,could be spark related, could be so many different thing
Fault codes from BMW:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #6
jivom5
Private First Class
Rep

my first guess would be coils/spark plugs, a few members on the forums had similar codes and it ended up being the coils
2021 panamera 4s
2021 M5
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:47 PM   #7
calligee
Rep

Thanks jivom5 . They told me today theyre changing the fuel injections, coils and wiring loom. Ive told them to keep the car and give my money back. Unfortunately I’ve lost my love for it now which is a shame as it was always my dream car 😐
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:49 PM   #8
calligee
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
What are your plans for the car? Is it a lease or financed with plans to keep. If the latter definitely turn it back to BMW.
I’ve told them to take it back today and give my money back 😔
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 05:15 PM   #9
jivom5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks jivom5 . They told me today theyre changing the fuel injections, coils and wiring loom. Ive told them to keep the car and give my money back. Unfortunately I’ve lost my love for it now which is a shame as it was always my dream car 😐

Wish you all the best on your next purchase, my f90 had issues from day 1 and the dealer refused to investigate so I took matters into my own hands replacing many of the parts at home. Happy to report that after 22,000 miles of being stage 1 e30 there no more issues.
2021 panamera 4s
2021 M5
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 11:04 PM   #10
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I’ve told them to take it back today and give my money back 😔
OP I can understand this is a disappointing circumstance, and I too have had cars that have been problematic since day one. And I can understand not wanting to deal with that and having this experience leave a bad taste in your mouth. But, this car is too good. Maybe don’t let this one off bad experience sour the whole thing for you and find another. Overall, these cars are built quite well (save for perhaps the coolant expansion tank and a few other small items) and should last you a while with proper maintenance.

Just my $0.02 (even though you didn’t ask for it) from someone in their second F90.

EDIT — In the interest of full disclosure, I did have an HPFP failure early on in my first one, but it was resolved as quickly as it could have been and didn’t prevent from essentially buying a carbon copy as my second one. Aside from that both cars have been bulletproof (~29k on pre-LCI and ~12k on LCI). DDed and driven hard every single drive.
      09-23-2023, 03:33 AM   #11
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Fault codes from BMW:
you have an electrical issue, you did mention a tracker it could very well be a botched install from whoever put in the aftermarket tracker and who knows where they tried to tap for power. you have a short circuit which literally means shit is touching shit its not supposed to in your fuse box.
Appreciate 0