BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    ISTA plus help.....

07-27-2022, 12:26 PM   #1
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

ISTA plus help.....

I got ISTA plus running on a lap top and got it connected to my M5 with a RJ45 connector via the network port. I could read the car data and see the component tree and the fault codes. So that part is done.

Now, where do I find the access to do the transfer case service? That I could not find. Perhaps I have the wrong version of ISTA+

There is a bit of a learning curve for this. It's my friends older lap top, has i5 processor and it runs fine. Not sure why they say you need 'at least an i7?"

Thank you for the input.

Mike
Attached Images

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 12:47 PM   #2
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
I got ISTA plus running on a lap top and got it connected to my M5 with a RJ45 connector via the network port. I could read the car data and see the component tree and the fault codes. So that part is done.

Now, where do I find the access to do the transfer case service? That I could not find. Perhaps I have the wrong version of ISTA+

There is a bit of a learning curve for this. It's my friends older lap top, has i5 processor and it runs fine. Not sure why they say you need 'at least an i7?"

Thank you for the input.

Mike
Your version of ISTA is pre-F90 M5 from looking at your databases. You may need a newer version if you can't find it under service functions. Current version is 4.36.xx.
Aronis2274.00
      07-27-2022, 02:31 PM   #3
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:

Thank you for the input.

Mike
Assuming that the version is good and not too old like mfife said, you should be able to access the documents via the search tab. And I think it's under service where you add it to your test plan for the actual oil change. If u wanna hop on team viewer or some other screen sharing thing I can show you lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 06:21 PM   #4
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks. I appreciate the help. Ideally I want to get a laptop of my own to really take the time to learn it correctly. I might install on my kids system to learn. Huge gaming rig is too big to drag to the garage to use. LOL...

Mike

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 1
micvite1543.00
      07-28-2022, 04:24 AM   #5
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate the help. Ideally I want to get a laptop of my own to really take the time to learn it correctly. I might install on my kids system to learn. Huge gaming rig is too big to drag to the garage to use. LOL...

Mike
Yeah I feel that... I have it on my Alienware area 51m and I went to best buy and was like gimme the smallest laptop with a enet port you have lol slightly regret that simply because the storage is inadequate but it is what it is, just enough to run the diag part of ista which is all I really need. (128gb... I didn't even thing they made hard drives that small ffs I have thumb drives bigger than that from like 2006 lol)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

Mike
Yeah I feel that... I have it on my Alienware area 51m and I went to best buy and was like gimme the smallest laptop with a enet port you have lol slightly regret that simply because the storage is inadequate but it is what it is, just enough to run the diag part of ista which is all I really need. (128gb... I didn't even thing they made hard drives that small ffs I have thumb drives bigger than that from like 2006 lol)
If you want to do programming you can ditch everything in the psdzdata except the S15A stuff. Saves some space.