BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board    Used car prices are INSANE

11-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #45
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I don't leave anything in mine either. A bunch of stuff for work, masks, my receipt folder and that's a wrap.

I have contemplated selling the X5. I drive it pretty much on the weekends and some weekends not at all. I figure I could make some money on it and store that away along with my work car allowance until things maybe get back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:58 AM   #46
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Only issue with selling is folks are saying this may last another 2 to 3 years so if you then need to buy again.... urrrrgh
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #47
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Why not put the keys inside and test it?

I bought a house-mounted mailbox, and hung it in the mud room. Made my best effort to build a Faraday cage, with two levels of shielding. I can't open the doors of either car in the driveway by grabbing the handles.

With that said, there are instructions online to build a code-boosting theft amplifier with a directional antenna for $50 using a Raspberry Pi and SDR radio module. Locks are only to keep honest people honest.....
It won't start without the key but I don't have one of those repeater things to see if it stops THAT. That is what I was mainly thinking of

What I need is a small faraday cage for when I am camping in my car, so I don't have to take the battery out.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 12:12 PM   #48
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I never understood people leaving things unlocked. Granted, if someone wants it bad enough they will take it regardless, but sometimes making things difficult will make them move on. I grew up on a dirt road in a small town, but that town was next door to the heroin capitol of the northeast. Every once in a while you'd get some odd people just walking down the street. We locked our doors and our house. Now I live in a nice quiet neighborhood, and still do the same. Even though we live in a secluded area, one of our neighbors got their car broken into a year ago or so.

Meanwhile one of my friends lives in a not-so-great section of Hartford and leaves her car unlocked on the street. I guess it's all what someone is used to. Personally I trust people about as far as I can throw them, which with my thinner build and the obesity problem in this country isn't too far.
False sense of security is why. I live in Fairfield CT and the number of car thefts has been on rise in Fairfield. I have ring video camera of kids trying to pull open my neighbors RR, all they did was steal change. But few houses down someone left their keys in the car and the kids ran off with it. Car was eventually recovered but makes no sense. This happened just last week:

https://www.ctpost.com/news/amp/Poli...e-16643868.php

End of day any town that’s off 95 seems like a good target.
      11-29-2021, 01:59 PM   #49
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
I bought my car 3 years ago for $26k (8k miles).

It now has 50k m and Carvana offered $28k, lol wow that's tempting.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:03 PM   #50
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

It's all relative though, isn't it? If you were to sell your car to them you'll have to replace it with something else which is likely going to be expensive.
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
Humdizzle6024.00
      11-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #51
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Yeah but I thought about using the equity to get something cheap and fun but I know I'll miss the F22 too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 02:24 PM   #52
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mein11 View Post
Yeah leaving keys in the car never made sense to me either. Plenty of areas I'll leave my truck unlocked overnight, and others wouldn't.

Also don't keep any possessions in it, unless they want a box of face masks and an expired coupon for Downy fabric softener.
well march 2020 the face masks might have been more valuable than your car
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #53
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
It's all relative though, isn't it? If you were to sell your car to them you'll have to replace it with something else which is likely going to be expensive.
Maybe, I happened to have one too many cars when this crap started and sold one that I wasn’t using for more than I paid for it new. Now contemplating selling my truck which is waaaay overkill for what I need and get some beater truck for now until this nonsense is over and I can get the truck I want.

The million dollar question is if/when will this crap be over.

Honestly I’m not sure how there isn’t some crisis of dealers and/or auto manufacturers going out of business because no one wants to pay the crazy markups, but I guess there’s enough people who desperately need a car now or have more money than sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 04:57 PM   #54
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Maybe, I happened to have one too many cars when this crap started and sold one that I wasn’t using for more than I paid for it new. Now contemplating selling my truck which is waaaay overkill for what I need and get some beater truck for now until this nonsense is over and I can get the truck I want.

The million dollar question is if/when will this crap be over.

Honestly I’m not sure how there isn’t some crisis of dealers and/or auto manufacturers going out of business because no one wants to pay the crazy markups, but I guess there’s enough people who desperately need a car now or have more money than sense.
This is why I will never support the used car crisis we're in currently in. People are taking advantage and marking up cars to extreme levels.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #55
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

It is not just used vehicles. I stopped by the Honda dealership to see the new Civic Si.

They added a $7000 market adjustment. I am really proud that they honestly labeled it "ADDITIONAL DEALER PROFIT."

They were so excited to show me the car until I told them, "I can 100% guarantee I will not pay a $7000 mark up." She responded with, "If we don't sell cars with markups, we will have to lay people off."

While admirable, that's a hell no!

MSRP is 28500.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #56
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiipilot View Post
They were so excited to show me the car until I told them, "I can 100% guarantee I will not pay a $7000 mark up." She responded with, "If we don't sell cars with markups, we will have to lay people off."

They're lying.

They don't "lay off" salespeople since they are not salaried. Their shop is still working and so are the majority of their salaried employees. They're probably also not being truthful about how much federal Payroll Protection Plan money they took as "loans" with no intention of ever paying it back.

Go here to check by zip-code just how much money your local (not-so-small) businesses received from the PPP, and if they ever paid any of it back or if it was "forgiven".

Car dealerships and even churches got way more money than they deserved from a program designed to keep small restaurants and other small businesses from folding due to the pandemic. The abuse of the program really makes me angry. One of our local businesses that picks up dog poop was forgiven over $300,000 in loans and interest. Did dogs stop pooping? Were they unable to pick it up, for some reason? And banks who did the loans got paid 1% of the proceeds for generating the paperwork.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      11-29-2021, 10:49 PM   #57
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
It is not just used vehicles. I stopped by the Honda dealership to see the new Civic Si.

They added a $7000 market adjustment. I am really proud that they honestly labeled it "ADDITIONAL DEALER PROFIT."

MSRP is 28500.
That's such a load of shit. Where is the Civic Si built? If it's built in the US or Canada there's no way they're paying several thousand dollars more for their inventoried vehicles. This is price gouging, pure and simple.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:06 PM   #58
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Refinanced my car today. It's worth almost $4k more today, with almost 73K on the clock, than it was 3 years ago. Craziness.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 01:17 PM   #59
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Quote:

They're lying.

They don't "lay off" salespeople since they are not salaried. Their shop is still working and so are the majority of their salaried employees. They're probably also not being truthful about how much federal Payroll Protection Plan money they took as "loans" with no intention of ever paying it back.

Go here to check by zip-code just how much money your local (not-so-small) businesses received from the PPP, and if they ever paid any of it back or if it was "forgiven".

Car dealerships and even churches got way more money than they deserved from a program designed to keep small restaurants and other small businesses from folding due to the pandemic. The abuse of the program really makes me angry. One of our local businesses that picks up dog poop was forgiven over $300,000 in loans and interest. Did dogs stop pooping? Were they unable to pick it up, for some reason? And banks who did the loans got paid 1% of the proceeds for generating the paperwork.
My friend... the abuse of this program by both the rich, corpos and family businesses was so great, they would need to create a seperate agency just for investigations. That program alone created a greater divide between rich and poor during pandemic.

It should literally make everyones blood boil... and it seems it was all forgotten.
      11-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #60
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

We bought my wife's new at the time 2020 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium (ORP) for $38,500 (MSRP ~$44,000) in July 2020 which was a pretty standard deal. People are now paying well over MSRP for 2021 4Runner TRD ORPs. The same dealer has offered to buy back our 4runner for $39K and with 20K miles and I see used 2019-2020 4runners listed all over the place for ~$45K. New 4Runner Pros have a list price of ~$50K. People are routinely paying $55-65K now. I was hard for me to pay $38,500 for our 2020 4Runner given it's archaic tech, a 5 speed auto (yes, a 5 speed), vinyl interior, and terrible MPGs. I couldn't fathom spending $40K+ on one of these trucks, even a Pro which basically just has a tire, wheel, and suspension package.

I've been wanting to pickup a 2003/2004 Z06 for a fun car and have been looking for quite a while. I should have bought one in the spring because now they're 20%+ more. Stupid.

Last edited by XutvJet; 11-30-2021 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #61
CarMan77
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2021 Porsche Cay

Garage List
I traded in my 2021 X7 M50i on Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid. MSRP on X7 was $107,xxx, I paid $103,000 in May. Dealer gave me $100k, for trade in value. They are listing it for almost $110k. Didn't get a discount on Cayenne, but with less than 20 on the ground in the country, I was in no position to bargain.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #62
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
They're lying.

Wow! I just looked up where I live and I'm appalled by what I saw. I think my two companies were the only ones that didn't take any money, even though we lost 6 weeks of work. No one paid the loans back of course. Crazy thing was most of the ones that took money would have seen little to no loss. The businesses that would have needed it (and I know for a fact were hurting badly) took very little. Crazy world.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #63
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
Wow! I just looked up where I live and I'm appalled by what I saw. I think my two companies were the only ones that didn't take any money, even though we lost 6 weeks of work. No one paid the loans back of course. Crazy thing was most of the ones that took money would have seen little to no loss. The businesses that would have needed it (and I know for a fact were hurting badly) took very little. Crazy world.
It was actually waaaaaaay easier to get more money and have it forgiven if you are a bigger company with more employees. Since you did not have to prove any kind of hardship. I could be wrong it’s been a while, but it was something like X% of your payroll expense would be forgiven as long as you didn’t lay anyone off for a certain amount of time. So even if you were doing great but have a bunch of employees so you have a high payroll you could request a bunch of money and know it would be forgiven.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 02:36 AM   #64
mdf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-G View Post
I didn’t know car theft was even a thing anymore.
Oh it's definitely a thing. Before I bought this car, I looked at an M240 that was a theft recovery/salvage title. According to the seller, the car had been recovered missing only its interior. Seller had replaced the interior and was offering it at a good price, healthy discount, but ultimately I decided I just didn't want to take the risk on it. Also looked at a Mercedes E with a suspicious Carfax: Either there had been errors by repair shops logging mileage and then someone got it right with a -50K mileage correction, or the car had had its odometer rolled back. It was also selling at a substantial discount.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 06:45 AM   #65
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep

Garage List
When will used car prices drop??
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #66
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

When they figure out the supply chain for the new ones. A buddy had a business where he would buy recent used motorcycles, clean them up like new, then flip them. Breifly he was getting MSRP for 2-3 year old bikes easy because the choice was binary: Pay through the nose for a good used one of wait god knows how long for a new one to be delivered.

He ended up switching back to his day job because everyone got wind and the auction prices shot up too and it was too hard to get any deals.
Appreciate 0