BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Neural override, E-brake release- Stand by mode.

11-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #1
jav1
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Neural override, E-brake release- Stand by mode.

2019 M5 competition- So Stuck was kind enough to explain how to mechanically do the transmission park override on the newer transmission. I was able to make up a tool that worked but stumbled on a couple of other issues.

1) Once you mechanically over ride the park pawl at the transmission- the car goes into standby mode- gauges on- neutral indicated on the dash.
2) E brake won't release via the button- so the car still won't roll.

So I was able to get the e-brake released by bumping the starter- but does anyone know a way to release the e-brake without bumping the starter?
Also- does anyone know of a way to force the car out of standby mode? It seems with my mechanical park override tool in place, even locking the doors with the remote doesn't do it. This requires getting under the car and removing the tool or the battery will just run down. Yes I know I can unhook the battery but it seems BMW has made some strange decisions with respect to towing or pushing this vehicle around for service.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #2
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav1 View Post
2019 M5 competition- So Stuck was kind enough to explain how to mechanically do the transmission park override on the newer transmission. I was able to make up a tool that worked but stumbled on a couple of other issues.

1) Once you mechanically over ride the park pawl at the transmission- the car goes into standby mode- gauges on- neutral indicated on the dash.
2) E brake won't release via the button- so the car still won't roll.

So I was able to get the e-brake released by bumping the starter- but does anyone know a way to release the e-brake without bumping the starter?
Also- does anyone know of a way to force the car out of standby mode? It seems with my mechanical park override tool in place, even locking the doors with the remote doesn't do it. This requires getting under the car and removing the tool or the battery will just run down. Yes I know I can unhook the battery but it seems BMW has made some strange decisions with respect to towing or pushing this vehicle around for service.
I believe you can do it with ISTA+, it is required for rear pads.