BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Has anyone noticed the LCI not having laser lights, color change Bowers&Wilkins, or a

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-12-2021, 02:36 AM   #23
Moonstone_UK
First Lieutenant
Moonstone_UK's Avatar
Scotland
157
Rep
325
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
That's dumb. The X5, X6, X7, 8Series, 7Series and even the pre facelift 5 series, and those cars (but the 5) in M models all have color changing B&W. That's just ridiculous.

The video here is of when I got an M850i test car for a few weeks from BMW.
It's just odd. [IMG][/IMG]
Doesn’t bother me personally. I like the contrast it provides to the rest of the lighting.
Appreciate 1
JOHNBMWM51643.00
      10-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #24
rccarps2
Private First Class
United_States
143
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 2021 M5C and 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
The topic of laser lights not available on US 5 series has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. No one knows for sure why, but they are not available and will not be available in this generation.
You can blame DOT. Here is the explanation.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=66
__________________
Current - 2021 M5C and 2019 X5 40i
Past - 2009 X5 35d, 2011 MB E350, 2011 740i, 2015 X5 35d, 2018 M550i
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #25
ChalkyM5
Enlisted Member
37
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Comp
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (0)

Just an FYI, you can get Active Lane Assist coded back in if you have individual paint and BMW decoded it (8TR - Decoding Additional Function).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #26
AHall
Captain
459
Rep
994
Posts

Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Frisco, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccarps2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
The topic of laser lights not available on US 5 series has been discussed ad nauseam on this forum. No one knows for sure why, but they are not available and will not be available in this generation.
You can blame DOT. Here is the explanation.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26321721&postcount=66
Thanks rccarps2. I do remember this post.

I wish the laser lights were available just because the blue indicator just looks cool. I am totally satisfied with the performance of the headlights as is.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #27
Hoonigan
Lieutenant
134
Rep
479
Posts

Drives: 996TT, X3M, S55 AMG
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Morristown

iTrader: (0)

At least you had the option to get B&W. That was an option I was really looking forward to, but I recently found out it is no longer available when I locked in my build this week.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #28
rccarps2
Private First Class
United_States
143
Rep
126
Posts

Drives: 2021 M5C and 2019 X5 40i
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Philadelphia, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Thanks rccarps2. I do remember this post.

I wish the laser lights were available just because the blue indicator just looks cool. I am totally satisfied with the performance of the headlights as is.
Wish I could say the same. Had issues with my headlights right from the start. Compared to my wifes X5 with lasers, they are junk, IMO.
__________________
Current - 2021 M5C and 2019 X5 40i
Past - 2009 X5 35d, 2011 MB E350, 2011 740i, 2015 X5 35d, 2018 M550i
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #29
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Enlisted Member
29
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
At least you had the option to get B&W. That was an option I was really looking forward to, but I recently found out it is no longer available when I locked in my build this week.
Yes. This is because of the chip shortage. On some models, heads up display is also being removed. For the G80 and G82, the M Performance exhaust is not possible because it needs a chip for the valves.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #30
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Enlisted Member
29
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstone_UK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
That's dumb. The X5, X6, X7, 8Series, 7Series and even the pre facelift 5 series, and those cars (but the 5) in M models all have color changing B&W. That's just ridiculous.

The video here is of when I got an M850i test car for a few weeks from BMW.
It's just odd. [IMG][/IMG]
Doesn’t bother me personally. I like the contrast it provides to the rest of the lighting.
I do have to agree with you, haha. I have thought about it before, that it would be too much blue or green or whatever color you may choose.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #31
CFoote
Lieutenant
United_States
47
Rep
515
Posts

Drives: '06 Z4M, '00 M5, '01 X5 4.4
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
That's dumb. The X5, X6, X7, 8Series, 7Series and even the pre facelift 5 series, and those cars (but the 5) in M models all have color changing B&W. That's just ridiculous.
I'm pretty sure you can get the B&W in the G30/F90 chassis to change colors thru coding (custom coding) - but have not verified this.
__________________
'06 Z4M, '01 X5 4.4i, '00 M5, '05 Acura RL, '12 X6 3.5, '01 740, 08 335xi, '17 540xi (yes they all are still with me)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:14 PM   #32
Deleted Account
Private First Class
United_States
76
Rep
128
Posts

Drives: Deleted Account
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Deleted Account

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
That's dumb. The X5, X6, X7, 8Series, 7Series and even the pre facelift 5 series, and those cars (but the 5) in M models all have color changing B&W. That's just ridiculous.
I'm pretty sure you can get the B&W in the G30/F90 chassis to change colors thru coding (custom coding) - but have not verified this.
I would be interested in doing this. The B&W is already incredible looking and would be neat to have color options too. The B&W was an absolute must when I got my M5C. Refused to take a car with the lesser system which isn't known to sound even decent and just can't match the looks of the B&W.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 08:18 PM   #33
TEGRITY
Lieutenant
TEGRITY's Avatar
Australia
314
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 F82 M4C
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBisBlau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Active Lane Change Assistant is deleted with Individual Paint.
Seriously? WTF is that all about?

Also, isn't there a box you have to check, somewhere in the menus, that you have to allow this? Maybe I'm misremembering, and I don't have my car with me right now, so can't check.
It does pop up on the BMW configuration screen as a warning. As another member said, it's due to the individual paint thickness and impacts the sensor's performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 08:25 PM   #34
TEGRITY
Lieutenant
TEGRITY's Avatar
Australia
314
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 F82 M4C
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 F82 M4  [0.00]
Didn't know guys in the US couldn't get laser lights. My dealer rep here in AUS told me that any new F90 orders will most probably not come with touch screen on the iDrive, no Bowers & Wilkins and some driver assistance gimmicks due to the global chip shortage issue. Although, my mate who ordered his M3 yesterday would still get touch screen and those driver assistance features. I found that totally weird as cheaper M cars will get it but not the m5c.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #35
PunjabiM3
Colonel
PunjabiM3's Avatar
United_States
201
Rep
2,022
Posts

Drives: M5 CS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Flower Mound, TX

iTrader: (1)

My 2021 M5 had the BMW LED lights but not laser. But my 2022 M5 CS I just took delivery of a week ago the lights say laser in the housing. I assume these are the laser lights you all are talking about, am I missing something?
__________________
2012 Audi R8 V10| 6MT| Suzuka Grey| Dallas Performance Stage 1.5 Twin Turbo| 817whp pump| 950whp MS 109
2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale| Rosso Scuderia
2020 BMW X7| Mineral White

2022 BMW M5 CS|Frozen Deep Green
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #36
Maverik259
Major General
Maverik259's Avatar
United_States
2803
Rep
5,078
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [0.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
My 2021 M5 had the BMW LED lights but not laser. But my 2022 M5 CS I just took delivery of a week ago the lights say laser in the housing. I assume these are the laser lights you all are talking about, am I missing something?
this was answered on page 1. Small production batch waiver.
__________________
'07 Yamaha R1 (sold)
'06 C55 AMG (sold)
‘20 M5, MP Carbon Pro Spoiler, MP Carbon Diffuser, MP Black grille and gills, RKP Carbon Mirrors
'14 X5 50i, (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 04:03 AM   #37
TEGRITY
Lieutenant
TEGRITY's Avatar
Australia
314
Rep
414
Posts

Drives: 2020 F82 M4C
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2020 F82 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
I feel like nobody has talked about this (or at least I've tried searching for a forum and haven't found anything)

Does anyone know why BMW decided to not give the US laser headlights and instead gave us non adaptive LED ones?

All US spec M5 only have LEDs that do NOT move when you turn the wheel, only up and down. It does have the cornering light, but that's it.

Another issue I noticed is the assisted driving package with autopilot doesn't change lanes for you.
In my 2021 750i and 2019 M850i coupe, you tap the turn signal, and the car will change lanes for you while in autopilot, so long as you gently hold the wheel. The M5 however does not do this.

Lastly, the Bowers&Wilkins… so my 750i and M850i have it too, and change color with the ambient lighting.
My M5Competition LCI is Individual British Racing Green with the Tartufo interior and the Bowers&Wilkins. Now obviously I have the ambient lighting set to green. But, the stereo stays white, and there's no option to change the color of it in the M5.

If anyone knows these weird issues or quirks that'd be great.
This is my first post so I'm curious
I was to logging in to post these exact questions but for a new build. My dealer has a floor stock F90 LCI March 21 build in DG with black interior. And he is offering a sweet deal that is too hard to resist. But I need to buy before end of this year, which I am not keen on. Ideally, I want to spec my car with an individual or different standard colour and different interior options but he said you won't get touch screen capabilities, bowers and Wilkins and limited driving assistance due to the bloody chip issue.

Is this something any of you guys have heard / is it true?

P.S I am from AUS and we are fine with laser lights. My mate just ordered an M3 comp - March Production estimate and he is getting everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 01:55 AM   #38
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Enlisted Member
29
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEGRITY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
I feel like nobody has talked about this (or at least I've tried searching for a forum and haven't found anything)

Does anyone know why BMW decided to not give the US laser headlights and instead gave us non adaptive LED ones?

All US spec M5 only have LEDs that do NOT move when you turn the wheel, only up and down. It does have the cornering light, but that's it.

Another issue I noticed is the assisted driving package with autopilot doesn't change lanes for you.
In my 2021 750i and 2019 M850i coupe, you tap the turn signal, and the car will change lanes for you while in autopilot, so long as you gently hold the wheel. The M5 however does not do this.

Lastly, the Bowers&Wilkins… so my 750i and M850i have it too, and change color with the ambient lighting.
My M5Competition LCI is Individual British Racing Green with the Tartufo interior and the Bowers&Wilkins. Now obviously I have the ambient lighting set to green. But, the stereo stays white, and there's no option to change the color of it in the M5.

If anyone knows these weird issues or quirks that'd be great.
This is my first post so I'm curious
I was to logging in to post these exact questions but for a new build. My dealer has a floor stock F90 LCI March 21 build in DG with black interior. And he is offering a sweet deal that is too hard to resist. But I need to buy before end of this year, which I am not keen on. Ideally, I want to spec my car with an individual or different standard colour and different interior options but he said you won't get touch screen capabilities, bowers and Wilkins and limited driving assistance due to the bloody chip issue.

Is this something any of you guys have heard / is it true?

P.S I am from AUS and we are fine with laser lights. My mate just ordered an M3 comp - March Production estimate and he is getting everything.
The issue for the USA is the safety laws prevent BMW from letting the US Spec M5 have laser lights and even adaptive LED. They're just fixed LED lights for US Spec.

Due to the chip shortage, BMW is only letting the iX have Bowers&Wilkins. The touch screen I had no idea of. This shouldn't be true considering all their models have touch screens as standard. I'm not sure about the driving assistance pack. I know that the Drivers Assistance Plus pack has self driving features.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY314.00
      01-12-2022, 01:56 AM   #39
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Enlisted Member
29
Rep
45
Posts

Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
My 2021 M5 had the BMW LED lights but not laser. But my 2022 M5 CS I just took delivery of a week ago the lights say laser in the housing. I assume these are the laser lights you all are talking about, am I missing something?
The M5CS gets laser because it's production number is low enough for BMW not having to follow certain laws.

Congrats on your Club Sport.

As much as I'd love laser lights, I prefer ventilated massaging seats, soft close doors, and autopilot. But that's just me, haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 04:09 AM   #40
micvite
Private First Class
51
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 2009 mazda RX8
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

As far as the autopilot not switching lanes, not ALL individual colors are included. For example an individual color that is offered for sale (frozen bluestone) in this instance would NOT get the option decoded. It might even be safe to say that with certain individual colors that were offered on other cars say m3 m4 m8 x5 x7 etc as "serial" colors that it might still work since those had been tested.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST