BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    I've tested the new M5Cs and...

09-16-2021, 06:02 PM   #89
MSchfiftyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Reading through this thread was amazing, hah.

We should be thankful and grateful for the privilege to own any M5. If you're buying a brand new loaded LCI Comp (in the US anyway), then you've got the coin to purchase a CS all the same. You're already an enthusiast to even own a car like this with all of the options available at this price point, to imply otherwise is pedantic. Choose whichever one fits your situation the best. I personally chose the Comp because it's my daily, want the extra creature comforts like advanced active cruise, massaging seats, 360 camera, etc (that I use literally ALL the time). If the CS is more what you're looking for...then choose that! It's an excellent vehicle.

The difference on paper between the two is so miniscule, nobody can push either car hard enough on public roads and as someone with a lot of track experience - I couldn't push my Comp hard enough to set records, let alone push the even more bananas CS to try the same. Point being that most drivers couldn't drive the CS hard enough to break records set by the base M5 (which is also great). Enjoy your sweet rides for the reasons you chose them and call it a day.
Slugsy01157.00
HUM5INT284.50
VPRKLR63.00
Egrunt553.00
Jamesmick131.00
      09-16-2021, 08:31 PM   #90
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchfiftyFive View Post

We should be thankful and grateful for the privilege to own any M5. If you're buying a brand new loaded LCI Comp (in the US anyway), then you've got the coin to purchase a CS all the same. You're already an enthusiast to even own a car like this with all of the options available at this price point, to imply otherwise is pedantic. Choose whichever one fits your situation the best. I personally chose the Comp because it's my daily, want the extra creature comforts like advanced active cruise, massaging seats, 360 camera, etc (that I use literally ALL the time). If the CS is more what you're looking for...then choose that! It's an excellent vehicle.

The difference on paper between the two is so miniscule, nobody can push either car hard enough on public roads and as someone with a lot of track experience - I couldn't push my Comp hard enough to set records, let alone push the even more bananas CS to try the same. Point being that most drivers couldn't drive the CS hard enough to break records set by the base M5 (which is also great). Enjoy your sweet rides for the reasons you chose them and call it a day.
Well said. All three M5s are great cars.
Appreciate 4
      09-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #91
M5C_Uber_Alles
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 comp

Quote:

Perfectly put. The back and forth is too much. If you can afford a comp you can afford a CS in most cases. The cars have different purposes for different people, and it’s not worth getting into internet fights about. I was offered a CS and turned it down because it wasn’t for me, but that doesn’t mean it’s not for someone. Just let people enjoy their shit
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #92
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:

Thank You, that was exactly my point. They are all within a couple of percentile of each other when it comes to performance and picking the trim depends on everyone's priorities.
Appreciate 2
      09-17-2021, 11:25 AM   #93
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmooManiak View Post
Guys, that's how it always is - just look at the Iphone which year after year IS a little better, but if you compare the overall package it's about 99% the same. If you gave each example to 80% of the population, they wouldn't know the difference unless you pointed it out. Small progressive steps. Without them, people would not continue to buy the product.

"Newer, better, buy buy buy!" There is not a huge difference between the M5 vs M5C vs M5CS - certainly not big enough during daily driving. To top it off, the CS actually takes steps back what the M5 is actually supposed to be - an executive luxury sedan that's fast and not a track car like an M2CS. Who in their right mind really wants to toss a 2k+ ton car around the track when there are much better/smaller cars that are suited for it and give you a better sense of speed?

Reviewers have a job. Do you think they would get clicks or car magazines would sell if they were saying "This car is the same as before, suspension is 5% softer and the tires are better. You get carbon fiber but you lose many luxury features. Pay premium!" We all buy the product that's available at that point in time. They will not make it worse, they will just make it slightly better to push that buyer who was on the edge and incentivise a new sale.

If you have an M5C and you think the M5 is much different - you are wrong. Same with the CS guys who think their car is much different than the other two.
Quote:
I stand corrected, I must have misread. Even so, those are much better tires than stock M5 tires which play a big factor in the overall experience.

My whole point is, BMW didn't re-invent the chassis just for the M5CS. They made subtle tweaks (and in some cases they had already made those tweaks on the M5C) to improve the car, but reading some of the comments you would think that they built a brand new chassis just for the CS.

That wasn't your point at all.
You took the opinions of posts from this thread, attempted to invalidate them with your "facts"
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #94
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
That wasn't your point at all.
You took the opinions of posts from this thread, attempted to invalidate them with your "facts"
That was exactly my point. They are all very close to one another as I said. You seem to think that they built a brand new car just for the CS. I don't know why you keep getting stuck on that point. CS has tiny tweaks over the other two and is marginally better on the race track. Majority fo the difference is in the way it looks (carbon fiber) with TINNNYYY tweaks in other areas with the majotiry of the performance coming from much better stock tires.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 11:52 AM   #95
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
That was exactly my point. They are all very close to one another as I said. You seem to think that they built a brand new car just for the CS. I don't know why you keep getting stuck on that point. CS has tiny tweaks over the other two and is marginally better on the race track.
Did I ever state, or alude that "they built a new car for the CS"?

You interpreted my impressions of the car as if I took some sort of truth and shoved it down your throat.

I don't understand why you take these reviews of the M5CS so personally and find the need to justify that what you believe trumps everyone else's

Enjoy your car and let others enjoy theirs; instead of trying to bash and invalidate other peoples opinion
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #96
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did I ever state, or alude that "they built a new car for the CS"?

You interpreted my impressions of the car as if I took some sort of truth and shoved it down your throat.

I don't understand why you take these reviews of the M5CS so personally and find the need to justify that what you believe trumps everyone else's

Enjoy your car and let others enjoy theirs; instead of trying to bash and invalidate other peoples opinion
Again, I am not invalidating anyting as they all opinions. I clearly included my M5C here by saying "If you have an M5C and you think the M5 is much different - you are wrong. Same with the CS guys who think their car is much different than the other two."

I am literally including all M5s here (including mine) but you seem to take offense to that. You seem like a snobby person who doesn't want a CS included with the rest of the M5s, which is why I'm saying you sound like they built a new platform just for the CS. Relax, they are all F90s, give or take a few minor tweaks.

For some reason including the CS with the rest of the M5s set you off.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #97
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
I personally chose the Comp because it's my daily, want the extra creature comforts like advanced active cruise, massaging seats, 360 camera, etc (that I use literally ALL the time)
You forgot the kick-start automatic opening rear truck which I use every day.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01157.00
      09-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #98
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Again, I am not invalidating anyting as they all opinions. I clearly included my M5C here by saying "If you have an M5C and you think the M5 is much different - you are wrong. Same with the CS guys who think their car is much different than the other two."

I am literally including all M5s here (including mine) but you seem to take offense to that. You seem like a snobby person who doesn't want a CS included with the rest of the M5s, which is why I'm saying you sound like they built a new platform just for the CS. Relax, they are all F90s, give or take a few minor tweaks.

For some reason including the CS with the rest of the M5s set you off.

I don't believe any of my posts or responses had implied that what you accuse me of. None of my responses spoke negatively of the other M5 models, but simply expressed my experience with driving both.

Regardless, I can't stop you from continuing to shit on people's attempt to share their experience for your own benefit
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 01:48 PM   #99
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe any of my posts or responses had implied that what you accuse me of. None of my responses spoke negatively of the other M5 models, but simply expressed my experience with driving both.

Regardless, I can't stop you from continuing to shit on people's attempt to share their experience for your own benefit
The fact that you think that "it's my own benefit" is hilarious. All I said is that Throttle House and many other reviewers always rave about the latest itteration of anything.

If you watch to "The Straight Pipes" review, they even recommend the M5/M5C over the CS due to the removal of features. I take all of these reviews with a grain of salt. I fully ackowledge that the CS is the better track car, but it's not a night and day difference and the main contributer are the tires.

My point was, BMW already had the M8 dampers on the M5C. If a reviewer does not know that and raves about that specific feature on the newer car, it just tells me that they went into the review with their mind made up before it even started.

Anyway, this is my last response here and I'll leave this thread alone. It wasn't BASHING the CS, but moreso putting light to the fact that all F90s share 98% of the genes.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #100
malrash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Quote:
The fact that you think that "it's my own benefit" is hilarious. All I said is that Throttle House and many other reviewers always rave about the latest itteration of anything.

If you watch to "The Straight Pipes" review, they even recommend the M5/M5C over the CS due to the removal of features. I take all of these reviews with a grain of salt. I fully ackowledge that the CS is the better track car, but it's not a night and day difference and the main contributer are the tires.

My point was, BMW already had the M8 dampers on the M5C. If a reviewer does not know that and raves about that specific feature on the newer car, it just tells me that they went into the review with their mind made up before it even started.

Anyway, this is my last response here and I'll leave this thread alone. It wasn't BASHING the CS, but moreso putting light to the fact that all F90s share 98% of the genes.

Chimps and humans share 98% of their genome with vastly different outcomes.

Bottom line, reserve judgments for when you’ve driven both cars. Not based of the cars you’ve driven nor YouTube reviews.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #101
santox
Ing.
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp G82 xDrive

I have a pre-facelift M5C version but with id7 (03.2020 production date ) and since i have made the last ilevel (07.21) the ride quality got better . The adaptive dampers had firmware update , and ar first i didn't know about that . After i drove the car after the update , i felt the difference but i thought that maybe is just a placebo . After 2 days of driving the car and noticing the differences , i had called the dealer and they confirmed that the dampers had been updated .
      09-17-2021, 08:06 PM   #102
MSchfiftyFive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greer View Post
You forgot the kick-start automatic opening rear truck which I use every day.
Funny part about this is that the M-Performance rear carbon fiber diffuser I have on mine totally breaks this feature. I have bad luck on any of my cars using this, but the sales guy hilariously kicked his leg around like wtf and we tied it back to the diffuser screwing with the sensor. Not the end of the world, but funny all the same.

I could list a dozen features I expect from my daily at this price point that the Comp has that the CS doesn't...but that doesn't make the CS any less awesome a vehicle. It also doesn't mean the CS is automatically the "better" car, enjoy the shit out of those handling improvements, more power to you, while I enjoy the shit out of my car giving me a full body massage and driving itself (doesn't even need hands on the wheel) when I'm exhausted on my way back from a 3 hour drive to a hike.

We can tit and tat over why each is the better choice or we can understand we've got a sweet ass platform to enjoy in the final days of the raw ultimate evolution of the ICE era and give the waive when we see each other on the road. I waive...that my pants are also down is besides the point.
      09-18-2021, 12:22 AM   #103
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

Quote:
We can tit and tat over why each is the better choice or we can understand we've got a sweet ass platform to enjoy in the final days of the raw ultimate evolution of the ICE era and give the wave when we see each other on the road.
Yes, I agree with you: Both the M5 Comp and M5 CS are great cars. No need for any more arguing on this thread.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #104
Kstoff125
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Quote:
Quote:
You sound salty AF. Seems like this sentiment is mirrored by many M5C owners across this forum.

I for one am just happy that BMW is willing to meet the demand of customers who want a product that exceeds expectations

By applying your logic, then the M4GTS is just an extra cage, the M2CS is just an additional carbon fiber bonnet, all of which is just a marketing ploy to take your money.

Sounds like you're just a consumer and not an enthausist
Actually, the M2CS did add additional performance items (a significant HP bump to start with) justifying the value - including adaptive dampers compared to the regular M2C. You are comparing apples to oranges. You may want to do more research before you respond

The M5CS updates are mostly cosmetic. This is also confirmed by such a small Nurburgring time variance between the pre-LCI M5 and the M5 CS, which can mostly be attributed to Cup 2 tires and less weight (carbon fiber and options on the car). As you (hopefully) know, tires are the biggest x-factor when it coems to comparing apples to apples. Everything you are quoting are just subjective oppinions and placebo effects. I like to state facts from valid sources (such as lap times) whereas you are just quoting Youtube reviewers Nothing wrong with subjective OPINIONS, but there is something wrong when you start turning opinions into facts.
This is turning into a good debate so I thought I would jump in…while the m2cs is a cool car, it's a ~440hp two door that weighs ~3,400lbs. While not the exact same, a c6 zo6 vette weighed just over 3,100lbs (with the z07 package) and had 505hp out of 7.0ltrs…if just focusing on one aspect of what a car does that would say the m2cs is underpowered and overweight and would get smoked on a track (by a car that is ~10 years old), but there are multiple aspects of a car; emotional, physical (performance), usability, design/looks, and of course individual preference. I love both the z06 and the M cars. I also applaud BMW for providing a variant of the M brand that is slightly more track focused, and ultimately not for everyone. Like everyone, there are aspects of the cs that missed the spot for me…a track oriented m car needs analogue gauges…atleast a tach. With that said, I still have one on order!
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1050.00
      09-19-2021, 04:07 AM   #105
tjlees
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 Chav Mobile

The main difference between the M5 CS and M5C seems to be the handling 'recalibration' ignoring the carbonising and bronze/gold detailing.

The weight difference is really <50kg given specifying ceramics and lightweight Y spoke gives 21kg saving on the M5C. So carbon bonnet, removal of kit/storage/sound deadening and carbon seats account for the other 50kg.

The height difference is only 1mm between M5CS and M5C - it probably sits 7mm lower due to the splitter or comparison to standard m5.

The engine mounting are also the same 900nm/d stiffness.

The M5C and M5 CS have the M8 shocks carried over along with setup experience.

for laptimes ...

M5 CS
Autocar Dry Handling Track 1:09.90
Dunnville Autodrome 1:10.02
EuroSpeedway Lausitz 1:31.88
****Hockenheim GP 1:52.40
Nürburgring GP Sprint 1:36.10
****Nürburgring Nordschleife 7:29.57
****Sachsenring 1:32.38

M5C
EuroSpeedway Lausitz 1:33.40
Grattan Raceway 1:32.93
****Hockenheim GP 1:54.20
Hockenheim Short 1:10.40
Inta1:08.56
Llandow 0:45.70
Mendig AFB Circuit 1:49.50
NCM Motorsport Park1:34.64
****Nürburgring Nordschleife 7:36.00
****Sachsenring 1:33.77
Virginia International Raceway Grand East Course (post 01/2014) 2:54.00

M5
Autozeitung test track 1:38.40
Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours GP 1:58.39
Circuito Tazio Nuvolari 1:30.09
Contidrom (3.3 km) 1:31.08
Grand Tour Eboladrome 1:20.40
Hockenheim Short 1:10.60
Laguna Seca (post 1988) 1:39.81
Motortrend Figure-8 0:23.30
Nürburgring GP Sprint 1:37.70
****Nürburgring Nordschleife 7:38.92
****Sachsenring 1:34.57
Vairano Handling Course 1:15.73
Virginia International Raceway Grand East Course (post 01/2014) 2:55.20
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #106
RadM52018
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90M5C (2018-2021)

Good review, but it didn't address a key difference between the two : Exclusivity.

The CS is first for the M5, only a 1 year production run, and could very well be the last great ICE M5, before it becomes PHEV and eventually EV. So it could end up being a "halo" model in the M5 history, and even more personable long-term for someone who chooses to spend that price diff. Btw that diff is much less here in US between M5C and M5CS.

Even if someone doesn't want to keep it long-term, given the way this secondary market is going it could very well fetch a handsome premium within the next year or two.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #107
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryInch View Post
I think you missed what this car is about and are a normal M5 buyer.. all your complaints are what the M5 is for.

This is a race car for the street. It’s not for CEOs to drive their kids to school. The people who buy this car want performance and they want the best and most unique performance available in this model.

One must sit down and take a serious think before buying a CS, because you’re giving up a lot of the everyday comforts for racing tweaks. Is the trade off worth it for your situation? You can not drive the CS around the inner city, picking up children and groceries and give it a review. This car should be WOT on a track or Autobahn to have a proper review.

At the end of the day the CS is a track car that can be driven on the street. Let’s not judge it on its ability to be a comfortable daily driver… that is what the M5 and M5 Competition are for.
In all due respect, please read page 310 of the manual.

Driving on racetracks

"The vehicle is not designed for use in M Sport or motor sport type competition. There is a risk of accident. Do not use the vehicle for M Sport or motor sport type competitions.

Higher mechanical and thermal loads during racetrack operation lead to increased wear. This wear is not covered by the warranty.
When driving on a racetrack, increase the dura‐ tion of the load slowly.
The standard brake linings and the wear indica‐ tors are not designed for racetrack operation."

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #108
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post
In all due respect, please read page 310 of the manual.

Driving on racetracks

"The vehicle is not designed for use in M Sport or motor sport type competition. There is a risk of accident. Do not use the vehicle for M Sport or motor sport type competitions.

Higher mechanical and thermal loads during racetrack operation lead to increased wear. This wear is not covered by the warranty.
When driving on a racetrack, increase the dura‐ tion of the load slowly.
The standard brake linings and the wear indica‐ tors are not designed for racetrack operation."

this thread is hilarious.

People still think the CS is some sort of track car. LMAO

Complaining about lack of "creature comforts" This is exactly how you can tell whose been in, driven, or owned a true track vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:23 PM   #109
Dark-Knight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

I dislike many of the "creature comforts" Im happy to shed the weight, notice how all the customcars on those Tv shows are built without all the new tech, some people like simplicity. Id love a car with no electronic gauges, a decent sound system reduced insulation, lightweight seats, no radar cruise etc etc. the CS is a lot of this, its a bargain compared to what rest of world pays for same car
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1050.00
      11-28-2021, 02:44 PM   #110
Deleted Account
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deleted Account

Great review. I agree that the M5 to have is the comp. M5s should be usable sedans and feel special inside and out. No boy racer seats for me, thanks.
Appreciate 0