BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    What Are People Doing for Winter Wheels/ Tires?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2018, 02:20 PM   #45
Neptune7
Major
799
Rep
1,019
Posts

Drives: F90 M5C (Azurite Black)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I found out recently that there is a port-installed option for a full winter and tire set you can add to the car. And, I believe it is "residualized". It costs around $4400. I'm choosing this option.

ZW8 19" Winter Wheel & Tire Set
Appreciate 1
POBA192.50
      11-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #46
Fegelein
Major
Fegelein's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
1,295
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5 SG
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC Metro area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
I live in small town, driving to nort Chicago.
Guys are pretty good there, specially the guy that sold me the last 5 cars... one of the biggest car enthusiast I have met

Got it all done today
Nice, so your dealership handled this and no scratches on wheels? I can't imagine the dealerships not having the machines that are coated, to not scratch wheels, etc.
Big pain in the ass now, is lugging the tires too and from. Going to need an SUV to follow me...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #47
Fegelein
Major
Fegelein's Avatar
United_States
457
Rep
1,295
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5 SG
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NYC Metro area

iTrader: (0)

All you guys aware, that there is a setting for the tires, in which you tell tell the OBC that you are running either summer or winter / all seasons?
I stumbled across this, when I got the message that my TPMS was reading 30 at each tire, so needed air in all.
Appreciate 1
zuschnell370.00
      11-07-2018, 09:32 PM   #48
Sagamore
New Member
3
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NH, USA

iTrader: (0)

New member. First post.
Took delivery of 2019 M5 two weeks ago. In New England, weather getting cold. Plenty of snow on the way.
My car has the 19s with standard brakes and Pirelli PZeroes.

I've had a 328 and 535d recently, both with xDrive and all-seasons, which worked fine. Need a set of winter wheels/tires because this summer rubber won't work much longer around here.

No luck at any of the nearby dealers (nothing in stock and can't afford to wait 6-8 weeks). Spoke to Tire Rack. Since they haven't had a chance to measure the car themselves, the website indicates that they don't have anything that fits. However, I found that BBS CI-R 19s should work, and they have those. Might not be the best looking rims, but not bad and run about $650 per wheel. They are 19x10 and I plan to run them on all four corners.

Picked up 275/40/19 Blizzak LM-32 for about $300 per tire. So... about $4k for the entire setup, wheels, tires, sensors to be delivered to me.

My only lingering concern is that TireRack won't guarantee that these fit because they can't stand behind wheels for a car they haven't directly measured. BBS says they're fine, and the sizing seems to be within 1% or so of the stock setup (since front rims are 0.5" wider than stock, rears 0.5" narrower).

Offset on these wheels is 25, while stock 19s are 26/28.

Given all of this... anyone have feedback for me, positive or negative? They aren't expected to ship until next week, so if I'm making a mistake, now is the time to pull the plug.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #49
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
6499
Rep
3,695
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
New member. First post.
Took delivery of 2019 M5 two weeks ago. In New England, weather getting cold. Plenty of snow on the way.
My car has the 19s with standard brakes and Pirelli PZeroes.

I've had a 328 and 535d recently, both with xDrive and all-seasons, which worked fine. Need a set of winter wheels/tires because this summer rubber won't work much longer around here.

No luck at any of the nearby dealers (nothing in stock and can't afford to wait 6-8 weeks). Spoke to Tire Rack. Since they haven't had a chance to measure the car themselves, the website indicates that they don't have anything that fits. However, I found that BBS CI-R 19s should work, and they have those. Might not be the best looking rims, but not bad and run about $650 per wheel. They are 19x10 and I plan to run them on all four corners.

Picked up 275/40/19 Blizzak LM-32 for about $300 per tire. So... about $4k for the entire setup, wheels, tires, sensors to be delivered to me.

My only lingering concern is that TireRack won't guarantee that these fit because they can't stand behind wheels for a car they haven't directly measured. BBS says they're fine, and the sizing seems to be within 1% or so of the stock setup (since front rims are 0.5" wider than stock, rears 0.5" narrower).

Offset on these wheels is 25, while stock 19s are 26/28.

Given all of this... anyone have feedback for me, positive or negative? They aren't expected to ship until next week, so if I'm making a mistake, now is the time to pull the plug.

Thanks!
Congrats on the car!!!
You need to post some pictures

BTW the width of the rims won't effect rolling diameter for the AWD
You should be fine with your set up.
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #50
Sagamore
New Member
3
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NH, USA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks. Singapore Gray with silverstone interior.
The new BBS rims will be gloss black. Give it a little different look for the next 4-5 months.

1200 miles in. This car is a beast. Really happy with it. And a sleeper on the highway and in parking lots.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
Miko M6499.00
      11-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #51
bengals9
New Member
12
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (0)

not sure if this is good but my dealer got me 19" michelin alpin 5 265/40 and just put them on my factory rims
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #52
Miko M
///M
Miko M's Avatar
United_States
6499
Rep
3,695
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals9 View Post
not sure if this is good but my dealer got me 19" michelin alpin 5 265/40 and just put them on my factory rims
You should be good as long as rolling diameter Is the same
I put 285/35 square
Attached Images
  
__________________
Life is too short...enjoy your life
///M
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #53
getz
New Member
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: bliss

iTrader: (0)

Do you fellas with 19" know if you can fit a square set up on a staggered wheel? I am getting desperate and don't want to let the car sit in the winter. I have a 17 Ford Raptor for the really snowy days, but love driving the M5. I rocked a GTR year round in Eastern Washington winter, and always had a blast. Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #54
bengals9
New Member
12
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: M5
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (0)

Since my are Square and on I say yes
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #55
POBA
Lieutenant
193
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: M5 F90
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
I found out recently that there is a port-installed option for a full winter and tire set you can add to the car. And, I believe it is "residualized". It costs around $4400. I'm choosing this option.

ZW8 19" Winter Wheel & Tire Set
Thanks for the posting. Please keep in mind that you will need to buy new summer set. You can get only summer OR winter set from the factory. They will take away your summer set, at least this is what the dealer told me because I was looking into this option. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #56
getz
New Member
2
Rep
7
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: bliss

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengals9 View Post
Since my are Square and on I say yes
Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #57
Neptune7
Major
799
Rep
1,019
Posts

Drives: F90 M5C (Azurite Black)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
Thanks for the posting. Please keep in mind that you will need to buy new summer set. You can get only summer OR winter set from the factory. They will take away your summer set, at least this is what the dealer told me because I was looking into this option. Good luck!
Thanks for the heads up. I'll triple-check just to be sure, but I asked this very question, because I definitely want the forged wheels and summer tires as well.

The sales manager told me that the port would remove the summer rims, install the winter ones, then ship the summer rims side by side with the car. This would allow the winter wheels to be residualized, while keeping the summers. So, I would keep both the summer and winter sets. This makes sense, given that I am paying extra for the winter wheels.

UPDATE: I just triple-checked, and yes I will be getting BOTH sets of wheels - the winters will be mounted on the car, and the summers will be FedEx-ed to the dealership for me to pick up. So in essence, you're getting the summers from the factory and the winters from the port, but you get the winters on the car and the summers shipped at the same time to you at time of pick-up.

Last edited by Neptune7; 11-09-2018 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
POBA192.50
      11-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #58
POBA
Lieutenant
193
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: M5 F90
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'll triple-check just to be sure, but I asked this very question, because I definitely want the forged wheels and summer tires as well.

The sales manager told me that the port would remove the summer rims, install the winter ones, then ship the summer rims side by side with the car. This would allow the winter wheels to be residualized, while keeping the summers. So, I would keep both the summer and winter sets. This makes sense, given that I am paying extra for the winter wheels.

UPDATE: I just triple-checked, and yes I will be getting BOTH sets of wheels - the winters will be mounted on the car, and the summers will be FedEx-ed to the dealership for me to pick up. So in essence, you're getting the summers from the factory and the winters from the port, but you get the winters on the car and the summers shipped at the same time to you at time of pick-up.
Thank you so much for the update!! I was misinformed, I will call my sales manger to clarify. Sorry for the confusion, please kindly clarify this point, are you getting both rims and winter tires set at the port, and then they ship the summer set to your dealership or ONLY winter tires mounted on the factory rims? What is the rims size for the winter set and are they squared or staggered? What is the price? I have been going through this for a while with the dealer to figure it out. I have 19 SG on order and currently in production. Your info is very helpful!! I appreciate your time and help in advance. Again, thank you!! Enjoy it in good health!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #59
Neptune7
Major
799
Rep
1,019
Posts

Drives: F90 M5C (Azurite Black)
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
Thank you so much for the update!! I was misinformed, I will call my sales manger to clarify. Sorry for the confusion, please kindly clarify this point, are you getting both rims and winter tires set at the port, and then they ship the summer set to your dealership or ONLY winter tires mounted on the factory rims? What is the rims size for the winter set and are they squared or staggered? What is the price? I have been going through this for a while with the dealer to figure it out. I have 19 SG on order and currently in production. Your info is very helpful!! I appreciate your time and help in advance. Again, thank you!! Enjoy it in good health!!
Great questions.

I am getting both rims and winter tires in a package. They're 19" rims. So, the 20" wheels would be removed and replaced with the winter wheels (rims+tires). I was quoted $4440.

I am in the process of getting more info about the rims and tires in the winter package, and whether it's a square setup. I'll share more when I get the info.

Btw, the winter wheels are apparently not on site, so my car will be sitting at VPC for a couple of weeks while they're air-shipped from Germany. So, two more weeks of wait added to the 7 months so far
Appreciate 1
POBA192.50
      11-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #60
POBA
Lieutenant
193
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: M5 F90
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Great questions.

I am getting both rims and winter tires in a package. They're 19" rims. So, the 20" wheels would be removed and replaced with the winter wheels (rims+tires). I was quoted $4440.

I am in the process of getting more info about the rims and tires in the winter package, and whether it's a square setup. I'll share more when I get the info.

Btw, the winter wheels are apparently not on site, so my car will be sitting at VPC for a couple of weeks while they're air-shipped from Germany. So, two more weeks of wait added to the 7 months so far
Thank you so much for the info, very helpful!! Please keep us posted. I will share the updated info I get from my sales manager hopefully this weekend. Be well...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #61
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
hemi to e90's Avatar
Poland
235
Rep
1,818
Posts

Drives: 10 335i 21 740li
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: nyc

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagamore View Post
Thanks. Singapore Gray with silverstone interior.
The new BBS rims will be gloss black. Give it a little different look for the next 4-5 months.

1200 miles in. This car is a beast. Really happy with it. And a sleeper on the highway and in parking lots.
you have 19s already

IMHO the best move is to put the winter on those wheels
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:10 PM   #62
wanesso
Lieutenant
wanesso's Avatar
180
Rep
547
Posts

Drives: '08 e92 M3, no mods,no probs
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2017 GT-R  [0.00]
2015 BMW i8  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerM5 View Post
Very interested in this thread as my 2019 allocation should arrive in December in the heart of the Midwest and will need winter tire/rims right away!
My problem too. Winter tires are mandatory and car arrives in a week. Going to keep close eye on what you guys find out for the US market. Hope to keep same rims and switch tires
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #63
alpinefrenchfry
New Member
3
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: 2021 M5 Comp
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

In case anyone is wondering, through the two dealers I contacted, BMW is not bringing in any additional inventory of either the staggered or square winter tires in. I paid for mine and got told that there's no inventory left and unlikely that any more would come in for the rest of the year. apparently "bmw didn't think people would be driving the car in winter"
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #64
AGS
Major
AGS's Avatar
285
Rep
1,192
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Competition
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinefrenchfry View Post
In case anyone is wondering, through the two dealers I contacted, BMW is not bringing in any additional inventory of either the staggered or square winter tires in. I paid for mine and got told that there's no inventory left and unlikely that any more would come in for the rest of the year. apparently "bmw didn't think people would be driving the car in winter"
I heard something different (not saying it's correct, just that I heard different information). The person I spoke to told me the issue is BMW is waiting on shipments of tires from Michelin. The 19" tires are supposed to come in any time now for the ferric grey "4-square" set and the 20" rear ties for the orbit grey staggered set are due in early- to mid-December. I've been emailing my contact periodically for updates and will report back if I hear anything new/different.
__________________
Current: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2014 Anvil WW Jeep Wrangler
Previous: 2016 Silverstone M5, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #65
Bönz
Captain
Bönz's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
764
Posts

Drives: 2018 M5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinefrenchfry View Post
In case anyone is wondering, through the two dealers I contacted, BMW is not bringing in any additional inventory of either the staggered or square winter tires in. I paid for mine and got told that there's no inventory left and unlikely that any more would come in for the rest of the year. apparently "bmw didn't think people would be driving the car in winter"
When was this conversation? Ordered my square set up on 10/28. They arrived on 11/8.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #66
spak2323
New Member
spak2323's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
17
Posts

Drives: F90 M5 Competition BSM
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Hi. Newbie here. Does anyone have experience with staggered 275/35R 20, 285/35R 20 Sottozero II setup for '19 M5 Comp? This does not appear to be an officially recommended setup, but I'm not planning on driving the car hard during the winter.

FYI, dealer at first offered $3,663 plus tax for 19" OEM wheel and tire set with Alpin 5's 265 front 285 rear, then informed me that the package will not be available until March/April 2020.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST