08-17-2021, 08:01 AM   #45
PaLaKaT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
I live 15 minutes from Atco. Raced there a lot years ago….. when I was there plenty of 10 and 11 second cars were running. Something off about your friends story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_BMW View Post
That is actually interesting. This went down in Atco NJ. Friend of mine ran his convertible mustang 5.0 on the strip and he was threatened to be kicked out when he ran 13s.
Its not my friends story, we were together that time. I was running my scat pack while he was running his mustang. If i remember correctly they said that convertibles cant run that fast and must have a roll bar
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #46
swisstype
Twisted Fister
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5; 2024 Roma

You win the internet today with this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
I need a car that I can refuel in 45 seconds flat in the middle of nowhere, sorry.

My EV friends brag about some hypothetical "0-60" scenario that would look cool on YouTube, but is illegal on public roads. Meanwhile, during road trips, they lag behind by 4-6 hours because they can't find a "supercharger". By the time they finally hobble in on 1% battery, late in the evening and mentally drained from "range anxiety", I've already checked into the hotel, explored the whole town, and had dinner. Then it's storytime about how lucky they feel that they made it at all. By then, I'm usually fast asleep. You can guess what happens the next morning. They can't get started until late afternoon, because the hotel only had a trickle charger that got turned off overnight, and some other EV guy was occupying the spot until 6am. After all that, my EV friends just borrow the wife's gasoline car for the next trip.

But hey, if you're just getting groceries in town, then EV is awesome. I once saw a Tesla beat a Lamborghini out of the Whole Foods parking lot. I don't think anyone really noticed though. They were all checking out the Lambo.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan24962.50
      08-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #47
Alessandro
Major
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Garage List
2011 335is  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
You'd need to do 9 second flat in quarter mile to be comparable.. I guess you could if you get hybrid turbos and built motor lol. I think for gas cars to beat a plaid in acceleration for cheap, you could go with a TTRS, they can smoke the plaid with just a turbo upgrade.
can you show me a TTRS running 9.2?
08 E92 335i FBO 6MT 427 whp space grey
05 E46 M3 red
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2021, 03:15 AM   #48
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstype View Post
You win the internet today with this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDriverSF View Post
I need a car that I can refuel in 45 seconds flat in the middle of nowhere, sorry.

My EV friends brag about some hypothetical "0-60" scenario that would look cool on YouTube, but is illegal on public roads. Meanwhile, during road trips, they lag behind by 4-6 hours because they can't find a "supercharger". By the time they finally hobble in on 1% battery, late in the evening and mentally drained from "range anxiety", I've already checked into the hotel, explored the whole town, and had dinner. Then it's storytime about how lucky they feel that they made it at all. By then, I'm usually fast asleep. You can guess what happens the next morning. They can't get started until late afternoon, because the hotel only had a trickle charger that got turned off overnight, and some other EV guy was occupying the spot until 6am. After all that, my EV friends just borrow the wife's gasoline car for the next trip.

But hey, if you're just getting groceries in town, then EV is awesome. I once saw a Tesla beat a Lamborghini out of the Whole Foods parking lot. I don't think anyone really noticed though. They were all checking out the Lambo.
He'd win even harder if he actually has a gas station with pumps can fill up his tank in 45s. That'd be a world record for sure. 😂
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:30 PM   #49
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Toying between the M5 CS and the Plaid.. both on order. Sold my low 8's Audi RS3 so not looking for something to break records.

Right now the Plaid is edging the M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #50
allmotor_2000
F10 1/4 WR: 9.9s / 142.5mph 1/2 WR: 175.5mph
Rep
Drives: 2018 RS3, 991 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
can you show me a TTRS running 9.2?
I can show you an RS3 running 8's and 203mph in the STANDING 1/2... go see my IG @allmotor_2000
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 03:50 PM   #51
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post
Toying between the M5 CS and the Plaid.. both on order. Sold my low 8's Audi RS3 so not looking for something to break records.

You’re still around! Had all the fun you wanted with the RS3? Was it streetable at the end of development? For regular driving?

Buy the CS. If you don’t you’ll have to change your handle to All Voltage or something. Do you have the skills to modify the Plaid to go faster?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #52
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Based on recent 'ring reports, I am a bit disappointed with the Plaid. Specifically, the Plaid and the CS appear to have about the same 'ring time.

Why does this disappoint me? Because the Plaid is so much faster than the CS in a straight line (9.4 sec 1/4 versus 10.8 sec 1/4) it must not brake or corner as well as the CS if it has the same 'ring time despite the huge HP / acceleration advantage.

To be fair, the Plaid was running on its stock PS4 tires and the CS was running on track tires (PZero Corsa, I think). But still, the Plaid should have been faster. My sedan benchmarks are still the AMG GT 63S and the Porsche Panamerica Turbo S (and whatever other letters they add to the name these days). These are both 7 or 8 seconds faster on the 'ring than either the CS or the Plaid despite being slower in the 1/4.

I would have bought the AMG but I could not justify spending an extra $70k+ for a similarly equipped car that I don't plan to track. Nonetheless, I give huge props to AMG for building a 4 passenger sedan that weighs 4,600+ lbs and still does the 'ring faster than a 911 S.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 01:59 AM   #53
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

The Porsche and AMG times are factory times Vs the M5 CS's. Based on other factory times vs SportAuto, the M5CS would likely post better times than either of those cars.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50
      09-19-2021, 02:28 AM   #54
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
The Porsche and AMG times are factory times Vs the M5 CS's. Based on other factory times vs SportAuto, the M5CS would likely post better times than either of those cars.
I'd like to believe that, but if that is the case, why is BMW not doing the factory drive and posting the results? Certainly BMW aspires to that result or why else would the headrest be embossed with the 'ring?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 10:39 AM   #55
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
I'd like to believe that, but if that is the case, why is BMW not doing the factory drive and posting the results? Certainly BMW aspires to that result or why else would the headrest be embossed with the 'ring?
That's a great question. Bmw hasn't really been as obsessed about ring times as Audi, Porsche, AMG, or Tesla. I haven't seen a factory time since the M4 GTS one. But there are videos of side by side comparos with the M5 CS posting better times than the Porsche, AMG etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #56
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Based on recent 'ring reports, I am a bit disappointed with the Plaid. Specifically, the Plaid and the CS appear to have about the same 'ring time.

Why does this disappoint me? Because the Plaid is so much faster than the CS in a straight line (9.4 sec 1/4 versus 10.8 sec 1/4) it must not brake or corner as well as the CS if it has the same 'ring time despite the huge HP / acceleration advantage.

To be fair, the Plaid was running on its stock PS4 tires and the CS was running on track tires (PZero Corsa, I think). But still, the Plaid should have been faster. My sedan benchmarks are still the AMG GT 63S and the Porsche Panamerica Turbo S (and whatever other letters they add to the name these days). These are both 7 or 8 seconds faster on the 'ring than either the CS or the Plaid despite being slower in the 1/4.

I would have bought the AMG but I could not justify spending an extra $70k+ for a similarly equipped car that I don't plan to track. Nonetheless, I give huge props to AMG for building a 4 passenger sedan that weighs 4,600+ lbs and still does the 'ring faster than a 911 S.
Eh I mean you can hear the same "disappointment" from Miata or Fiat or Alfa guys lol "why isn't a 100k+ super sedan as good around the ring as my tiny box"....

Plaid isn't a track car its a sedan that has battery power that can lay it down lol Its strange one would ask it to compete in that space when I don't think its ever been intended or marketed for that (and really not even the 1/4 mile times it puts up).
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #57
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Quote:

Eh I mean you can hear the same "disappointment" from Miata or Fiat or Alfa guys lol "why isn't a 100k+ super sedan as good around the ring as my tiny box"....

Plaid isn't a track car its a sedan that has battery power that can lay it down lol Its strange one would ask it to compete in that space when I don't think its ever been intended or marketed for that (and really not even the 1/4 mile times it puts up).
Not really strange as the M5 is continually compared to cars in different categories. I am waiting for the M5 vs F-35 fighter jet comparison. :
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24962.50
      10-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #58
Rippy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Tesla is garbage, lifeless, zero curb appeal, no soul, no thanks.
eugenebmw1405.50
      10-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #59
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If only Elon had not been touting fat-tired, wing-adorned prototypes running around the ring last year while he was spouting off about setting records for sedans. That set expectations rather high. Fast forward to today where Elon says the Plaid is good enough and maybe the aftermarket will take over to make it better on track.

Guess I have finally learned my lesson to avoid taking anything Elon says seriously until it is tested / verified by an independent third party.
Appreciate 1
euro*1657.50
      10-13-2021, 09:16 PM   #60
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotor_2000 View Post

Curious, are you the same allmotor from the Acurazine CL forums from the mid 2000s? Thought your name looked famliar. I remember you were always highly tuned (if you are the same person.)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:40 PM   #61
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Not really strange as the M5 is continually compared to cars in different categories. I am waiting for the M5 vs F-35 fighter jet comparison. :
Lol
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #62
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippy View Post
Tesla is garbage, lifeless, zero curb appeal, no soul, no thanks.
What Tesla is done for EVs is impressive. Lets be honest.

However, I WILL AGREE with you about the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #63
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

I ran a Y... Not on purpose it was a dumb kid trying to pass me in a 25 zone on a double solid

he got a nose out on me from initial and I just reeled him in...

At least he was smart enough to not try to take a turn with that tugboat. But def was impressed with the f90 holding is own from about 5-70 and then taking the lead
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 09:31 PM   #64
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I ran a Y... Not on purpose it was a dumb kid trying to pass me in a 25 zone on a double solid

he got a nose out on me from initial and I just reeled him in...

At least he was smart enough to not try to take a turn with that tugboat. But def was impressed with the f90 holding is own from about 5-70 and then taking the lead
Not to take anything away from this victory, but I should hope you would win. The fastest Model Y is a low 12 to high 11 second car at best. An M5 should crush it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 02:48 PM   #65
saifodeh
Rep
Drives: F32 440I

These EV's are going to take over the world.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 08:05 AM   #66
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saifodeh View Post
These EV's are going to take over the world.
If we continue on this green initiative path, we will all go back to horse and carriage in about 20 years.

And sail boats.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 2
Swappy531.50
eugenebmw1405.50