BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    Dealing with Harman Kardon

11-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Dealing with Harman Kardon

In spite of being the worst time to buy, I am placing an order for another M5 to replace the 2019 I had. For the price, I could make the argument I should get everything I want, but then the entire aftermarket industry wouldn't exist if that was the case. So... about that Bowers. I wasn't particularly blown away by it in my 2019. I had to crank it near max to enjoy it, but it was good enough that I would never have considered pursuing an aftermarket upgrade... except for the bass maybe. Since the Bowers was just good enough, my expectations for the HK are very low.

Realistically, what would it take to install/upgrade something worthy of the M5? All I can really find are these crazy YouTube installs that have to be tens of thousands of dollars. There was also a post here someone had of a $50k upgrade, but while I do alright, I don't do well enough that $50k is pocket change. There really isn't very much information on something a bit more modest, or maybe my searching is just poor. I'm particularly interested in what they would do with the door speakers... the ones that sit at eye level. If you visit sites like Crutchfield, there isn't anything available other than some under-the-seat sub. If we are talking a full custom install, then $3500 for the Bowers is starting to feel like a bargain and starts me thinking I should just wait. It seems petty to wait for something that isn't even great, but...
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #2
Kstoff125
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW m4

Adding bass is easy these days, just throw a sealed unit in the trunk or under seat unit and you are done. To get a truly improved sound, you would want to install not only new speakers but also new amp(s). I would think $4-$5k installed would get you something much better then the BW.

Just adding speakers would be a waste of money in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1286.00
      11-16-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdogray View Post
In spite of being the worst time to buy, I am placing an order for another M5 to replace the 2019 I had. For the price, I could make the argument I should get everything I want, but then the entire aftermarket industry wouldn't exist if that was the case. So... about that Bowers. I wasn't particularly blown away by it in my 2019. I had to crank it near max to enjoy it, but it was good enough that I would never have considered pursuing an aftermarket upgrade... except for the bass maybe. Since the Bowers was just good enough, my expectations for the HK are very low.

Realistically, what would it take to install/upgrade something worthy of the M5? All I can really find are these crazy YouTube installs that have to be tens of thousands of dollars. There was also a post here someone had of a $50k upgrade, but while I do alright, I don't do well enough that $50k is pocket change. There really isn't very much information on something a bit more modest, or maybe my searching is just poor. I'm particularly interested in what they would do with the door speakers... the ones that sit at eye level. If you visit sites like Crutchfield, there isn't anything available other than some under-the-seat sub. If we are talking a full custom install, then $3500 for the Bowers is starting to feel like a bargain and starts me thinking I should just wait. It seems petty to wait for something that isn't even great, but...
What spec are you trying to order for your build?
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 1
nerdogray1286.00
      11-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

I ended up just telling the SA to pass me up on this allocation. I've read multiple places the B&W will be back in January. While it is pure rumor, I'm willing to take the risk. I'm going to be spending enough on a wrap anyway, and with exception to a few aftermarket pieces like those reflector deletions, I don't really want to start down that path. Spec-wise, it was a maxed out Competition, minus those ugly ass gold-caliper'ed, ceramic brakes, plus a lot of M-Performance pieces (mostly all carbon fiber), including the exhaust. The good thing is I'm ready to go build-wise. I have every single code in a spreadsheet, so I can just give it to the SA on the next alloc.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
I ended up just telling the SA to pass me up on this allocation. I've read multiple places the B&W will be back in January. While it is pure rumor, I'm willing to take the risk. I'm going to be spending enough on a wrap anyway, and with exception to a few aftermarket pieces like those reflector deletions, I don't really want to start down that path. Spec-wise, it was a maxed out Competition, minus those ugly ass gold-caliper'ed, ceramic brakes, plus a lot of M-Performance pieces (mostly all carbon fiber), including the exhaust. The good thing is I'm ready to go build-wise. I have every single code in a spreadsheet, so I can just give it to the SA on the next alloc.
Ill PM you.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:37 AM   #6
CGM
Private
Rep
Drives: tbd

Could you share the list of codes?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
Could you share the list of codes?
Z17 MPP Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
Z21 MPP Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps
ZJA MPP Rear Spoiler Carbon Pro
Z2R MPP Carbon Fiber Gear Selector
Z3R MPP Carbon Fiber Side Blades
Z4G MPP Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
Z62 Wheel Locks
ZA4 MPP Titanium Exhaust System
ZD9 Black All Weather Floor Mats
ZW0 MPP Carbon Fiber Shift Paddles
ZW1 MPP Carbon Fiber Side Grilles
ZW3 MPP Carbon Fiber Kidney Grille

That's everything selectable for the SA's in that portal they use. I can't remember what he called it. Lot of carbon fiber... I do wonder if it's too much and will end up looking gawdy or like it's trying too hard. I'm not particularly fond of the splitter; I don't think anyone is. I like the splitter that is much more subtle and has the bottom, middle lip. The color I want is Grey Black. Problem is BMW doesn't make it easy to see what looks like what. They haven't updated their paint guide in years. Their M-Performance site doesn't have anything listed for 2022 M5's other than license plate holders. I can't find any pictures where someone has used all of the carbon fiber pieces nor any videos. I can find some that have some but not all... and all of the pictures or videos are low quality. One thing that always annoyed me is that Donington Grey is nothing like what it shows on the build tool. It's so far off you cannot blame color inaccuracy or anything. It is straight up the wrong color, and it's been that way for years.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 08:43 AM   #8
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Z17 MPP Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
Z21 MPP Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps
ZJA MPP Rear Spoiler Carbon Pro
Z2R MPP Carbon Fiber Gear Selector
Z3R MPP Carbon Fiber Side Blades
Z4G MPP Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser
Z62 Wheel Locks
ZA4 MPP Titanium Exhaust System
ZD9 Black All Weather Floor Mats
ZW0 MPP Carbon Fiber Shift Paddles
ZW1 MPP Carbon Fiber Side Grilles
ZW3 MPP Carbon Fiber Kidney Grille

That's everything selectable for the SA's in that portal they use. I can't remember what he called it. Lot of carbon fiber... I do wonder if it's too much and will end up looking gawdy or like it's trying too hard. I'm not particularly fond of the splitter; I don't think anyone is. I like the splitter that is much more subtle and has the bottom, middle lip. The color I want is Grey Black. Problem is BMW doesn't make it easy to see what looks like what. They haven't updated their paint guide in years. Their M-Performance site doesn't have anything listed for 2022 M5's other than license plate holders. I can't find any pictures where someone has used all of the carbon fiber pieces nor any videos. I can find some that have some but not all... and all of the pictures or videos are low quality. One thing that always annoyed me is that Donington Grey is nothing like what it shows on the build tool. It's so far off you cannot blame color inaccuracy or anything. It is straight up the wrong color, and it's been that way for years.
Call up autocouture in nJ and ask for some pics, they have a demo car with all mpp parts installed albeit its blue. Or just wait for mine in a few more weeks
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 10:10 AM   #9
nerdogray
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Call up autocouture in nJ and ask for some pics, they have a demo car with all mpp parts installed albeit its blue. Or just wait for mine in a few more weeks
It's pretty bad when you have a third party produce a site that's better than your own. I wish I had a place like Autocouture here, but all Nashville has is the Sonic cartel and a bunch of yuppy rednecks driving Denali's peacocked out with truck nuts.

Last edited by nerdogray; 11-17-2021 at 10:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:35 AM   #10
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

I think HK is a good enough system. I really don't turn on my radio that much in my cars when driving. However, HK in my M5CS sounds much better than in my G80 M3.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 1
MistaM315.00
      12-02-2021, 12:33 AM   #11
FSHNGRY
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: INDIVIDUAL F90 M5C LCI

Garage List
Quote:
LOL
She ain't maxed out
GONE: '05 E46 ZHP | LOADED | DINAN STG3 PKG |

IG: @FSHNGRY
Appreciate 0