BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Steering Wheel Re-Trim

09-30-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Steering Wheel Re-Trim

Anyone had their wheel retrimmed by Royal Steering wheel?

I have used them before, but I am keen to understand once they retrim in Alcantara how much thicker it feels?

Reason I ask, is they don't strip the old leather due to the heating element.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 07:09 PM   #2
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I’ve just had my third steering wheel re-trim done by Royal Steering Wheels and this is my second heated, alcantara wheel in a row. They do still strip the leather back on a heated wheel unless you ask for it to be thicker than standard. I had an email conversation with Jack about this recently and I opted for them not to on the M5 and the wheel is 1mm thicker than standard.

This is my previous one that I had on my M4

And the current one on my M5

You can see more of both here: https://www.deutschespeed.com/forums/bmw-m-power.28/

Last edited by Evil Derboy; 10-01-2021 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #3
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info!

Strange though as Jack has literally typed the opposite to me and said they never remove the leather on a heated wheel as the element is bonded to it.

Like I say my main worry is thickness. Coming from my Cayman I loved the wheel in that, M5 feels even thicker than I remember my M4 wheel being!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 12:55 AM   #4
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post
Thanks for the info!

Strange though as Jack has literally typed the opposite to me and said they never remove the leather on a heated wheel as the element is bonded to it.

Like I say my main worry is thickness. Coming from my Cayman I loved the wheel in that, M5 feels even thicker than I remember my M4 wheel being!
That’s strange. I’ve just looked through my emails and realised it was when he phoned me we actually discussed it so maybe I picked him up wrong but he seemed to give me the option. As he mentioned that if we let him wrap an M5 wheel it would be a bit easier and quicker for them. He told me it would be 1mm thicker than standard and I was happy just to let them crack on if that were the case.

The wheel is definitely thicker than the M4 wheel that’s for sure. Have to say I’m really enjoying the thicker wheel in the M5 but then I’ve got quite big hands. I’ve only tried the heated wheel since the replacement but have to say it doesn’t heat up as fast as my previous M4 one did.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 01:35 AM   #5
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah heated isn't something I will really use to be honest, that said I don't want it lost!

Think I seen a post of yours saying you had been into Douglas Park, so wondering if you are close by and I could grab a look at your wheel? I am in Bathgate.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #6
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrymcg View Post
Yeah heated isn't something I will really use to be honest, that said I don't want it lost!

Think I seen a post of yours saying you had been into Douglas Park, so wondering if you are close by and I could grab a look at your wheel? I am in Bathgate.
I’m in Cambuslang. No problem with that but I’ve got COVID at the minute and not out of isolation till the 9th!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #7
billyali86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 - Yas Marina

I have just a re trimmed wheel arriving, for my M5, from Royal within the next week, I am in the south side of Glasgow so you can have a look at mine if you would like
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
alib
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 M5C

Garage List
2021 F90 M5  [0.00]
Had my M5C done a couple of months ago with full Alcantara with the heated steering wheel and driving assistance pieces. Had no problems at all, feels a tiny bit thicker but not massively different to original.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:05 AM   #9
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alib View Post
Had my M5C done a couple of months ago with full Alcantara with the heated steering wheel and driving assistance pieces. Had no problems at all, feels a tiny bit thicker but not massively different to original.
Yep got mine back and it feels great.

Overall after measuring with calipers it's 2mm thicker across the board.
Appreciate 0