BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Regional Forums UK    Having second thoughts…

07-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #23
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

I'm veering towards the Akra for two reasons:

1. It's getting done as part of build and I'll have it quicker and I'm an impatient bugger!

2. I do want it quieter when driving in built up areas and with missus with option of going large. If there isn't a way to close the valves on the MPE then that's an issue I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 01:41 AM   #24
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugsy01 View Post

1. It's getting done as part of build and I'll have it quicker and I'm an impatient bugger!

2. I do want it quieter when driving in built up areas and with missus with option of going large. If there isn't a way to close the valves on the MPE then that's an issue I think.
The MPE doesn’t have valves on the M5, but the exhaust button, does apparently still work, or at least in did on the earlier versions, by turning off the pops and bangs electrically somehow. As you know, in the UK, the LCI has the pops and bangs mapped out, so what is the exhaust button turning off, if it does still work in this manner ?, we will have to wait and see. If, as you say, there is an MPE on the way for the LCI, it will be interesting to see how it works, but I’m positive BMW wouldn’t let the car be overbearing all the time, without the ability to switch it off if desired.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 03:08 AM   #25
samj2k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, 991.1 GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugsy01 View Post

There is no valves to close on the MPE, they have removed them, you just plug the vacuum hoses and install it. The exhaust button does still work as mentioned above, but that doesn't actually do anything to the valves anyway, it just turns down the artificial cabin sound and stops some pops on over run, personally I can't tell any difference with the button on or off. The valves are closed in Comfort / Efficient and opened once you put the car in Sport or Sport+. Go for the Akra, you won't be disappointed. I've had around 8 Akra's on cars and bikes and never had an issue with any of them.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50
      07-06-2021, 06:17 AM   #26
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Here in the UK there are the "noise abatement" team searching for Excessive noisey exhausts , they were on the A47 last weekend nicking some of the ~east coast Cruisers going to Yarmouth, so this has by all accounts been rolled out nationwide.
I had a good run with an Aston V12 and Lambo over the weekend, held them easy, only difference "Noise" my daughter commented how we were quietly mental quick and the others all noise and I mean loud.
PLOD loves loud.