BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    Brake Squeal

04-11-2022, 11:04 PM   #23
Jacob_Tyler_Freed
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M5Competition LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
Update: the brake squeal was deemed not normal by BMW North America, and they replaced all pads and rotors on the car.

My guess is the rotors got overheated and didn't cool properly.

Luckily the brakes are as quiet as ever. I'm gonna try to keep it that way, and make sure they cool down properly after hard use.
Thanks for getting back.

However, bet you at least a quarter it comes back within a year or less.

Shawn
Update: after about 4K miles of use. They've yet to make any bad noises. And I have not changed my driving style, only the cooldown period.

I will admit they make a very faint hissing noise but that's when they're really hot. However I know that's normal because my Porsches do it too.

But when I'm just cruising around it's as quiet as it should be.

Overall I knew it was not normal. My mother drives a 2015 M6Competition Gran Coupe with 63k miles on original brakes from day one and they've never made any bad noises, even when I'm driving it, haha. And the surprising thing is that she has over 50% life left in the brakes. But she doesn't drive it like I do.

I'm glad the noise didn't come back, but if it does, I will still let you know, and you can have the quarter.
Appreciate 1
shawnhayes1829.50
      04-14-2022, 09:39 PM   #24
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob_Tyler_Freed View Post
Update: after about 4K miles of use. They've yet to make any bad noises. And I have not changed my driving style, only the cooldown period.

I will admit they make a very faint hissing noise but that's when they're really hot. However I know that's normal because my Porsches do it too.

But when I'm just cruising around it's as quiet as it should be.

Overall I knew it was not normal. My mother drives a 2015 M6Competition Gran Coupe with 63k miles on original brakes from day one and they've never made any bad noises, even when I'm driving it, haha. And the surprising thing is that she has over 50% life left in the brakes. But she doesn't drive it like I do.

I'm glad the noise didn't come back, but if it does, I will still let you know, and you can have the quarter.
I hope you win, and I'll be happy to send you the quarter.

Shawn
Appreciate 0