BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Mustang dyno'day: E63S, C63S, M5C

05-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #23
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Holy smokes... is there any way you could test another dyno? To be claiming that you can get 700awhp+ and 700awtq+ with a piggy back is, a really big claim.

I get it, you did a bunch of runs and the numbers are all in the same ballpark. It's just like, all on the same dyno, right?

Is anybody else getting close to these numbers? That's very impressive!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:23 PM   #24
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinFlavored View Post
Holy smokes... is there any way you could test another dyno? To be claiming that you can get 700awhp+ and 700awtq+ with a piggy back is, a really big claim.

I get it, you did a bunch of runs and the numbers are all in the same ballpark. It's just like, all on the same dyno, right?

I get your skepticism and I shared it. But to be clear, it's not a claim, it's what the dyno returned... 3 times on map 6 (which I've been tweaking, logging, Dragy testing, tweaking, etc. for a few months). To validate things, further, we ran my F90 on map 0 (pass-thru) and it returned numbers comparable to other F90s on other dynos.

We ran 3 cars that day including my F90. The other two also returned as-expected numbers. The E63S returned the same numbers as it did on a Dynapak hub dyno from just a few weeks earlier--the numbers were almost identical. My F90 on that same Dynapack had issues since it's not a linked system but we got a reading of 640 AWHP and 765 ft Ibs of torque once on map 1 before it went limp. The HP of that pull is almost an exact match of the Mustang's map 1 reading (the torque plot was all over the place so I consider it anomalous and don't post those numbers).

Assuming we use the E63S as a yardstick, especially given the comparable Dynapack results, then I see no other way to interpret the data across all 3 cars.

I've been unable to get a read from a Dynojet since the only ones I've found aren't linked and the F90 doesn't like that at all.

At the end of the day, the numbers were useful to show the substantial gains from map 0 through map 1 and on to map 6--the gains are certainly representative of what it feels like in the car. As to the legitimacy of the car's performance, I'll need a dragstrip for that but she ran a 10.71 1/4 @ 131mph on a f#ckin' awful farm road so there's some power there for sure... had the wheels been on the ground the whole time, it would almost certainly have been much quicker.

I've since started adding 12 oz of Klotz octane booster to each full tank because the car threw a 139001 (Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter, from rich to lean: Delayed response) warning which concerned me--they've stopped since adding the Klotz to my 92 octane pump gas.

Beyond that, the only other tests this car is going to see will involve a prepped surface and a candle.

I took the car to the Ridge road course last week where she performed admirably (even in the corners) and was by far the fastest car on the straight away (tough to know, of course, if they were flat out but I'll assume so because it makes me feel good ).

Last edited by limeypride; 05-21-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #25
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:

Dyno numbers are one thing but BMS and others have run 10.2@136mph with the JB4 and good fuel, set for around 26psi. How much power does it take to move a 4000#+ sled to those sorts of times?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 01:35 PM   #26
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Quote:

Dyno numbers are one thing but BMS and others have run 10.2@136mph with the JB4 and good fuel, set for around 26psi. How much power does it take to move a 4000#+ sled to those sorts of times?
Tractionv is the biggie; a tad more power than I put down perhaps and a properly prep'd and flat surface.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #27
boredM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford F-350 & Nardo F90

Quote:
Quote:

About 750 assuming 4K weight and 10.2

Using trap speed and the same weight 775
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #28
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

where has a jb4 car done 10.2? link?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #29
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...te-132911.html
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 02:22 AM   #30
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...te-132911.html
That's an amazing run. Anyone know if the mods list is complete and whether they were on race gas?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:50 AM   #31
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
That's an amazing run. Anyone know if the mods list is complete and whether they were on race gas?
Race gas, air filters , JB4.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #32
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
Race gas, air filters , JB4.
Thanks.

That gels with what I'm seeing on pump gas and farm roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #33
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:

interesting... car is down here where i'am. haven't ran into him yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #34
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

BMS hit 10.31 with theirs also, maybe even quicker:

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 04:53 AM   #35
nickohlie
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW M3 G80CX

Quote:
I get your skepticism and I shared it. But to be clear, it's not a claim, it's what the dyno returned... 3 times on map 6 (which I've been tweaking, logging, Dragy testing, tweaking, etc. for a few months). To validate things, further, we ran my F90 on map 0 (pass-thru) and it returned numbers comparable to other F90s on other dynos.

We ran 3 cars that day including my F90. The other two also returned as-expected numbers. The E63S returned the same numbers as it did on a Dynapak hub dyno from just a few weeks earlier--the numbers were almost identical. My F90 on that same Dynapack had issues since it's not a linked system but we got a reading of 640 AWHP and 765 ft Ibs of torque once on map 1 before it went limp. The HP of that pull is almost an exact match of the Mustang's map 1 reading (the torque plot was all over the place so I consider it anomalous and don't post those numbers).

Assuming we use the E63S as a yardstick, especially given the comparable Dynapack results, then I see no other way to interpret the data across all 3 cars.

I've been unable to get a read from a Dynojet since the only ones I've found aren't linked and the F90 doesn't like that at all.

At the end of the day, the numbers were useful to show the substantial gains from map 0 through map 1 and on to map 6--the gains are certainly representative of what it feels like in the car. As to the legitimacy of the car's performance, I'll need a dragstrip for that but she ran a 10.71 1/4 @ 131mph on a f#ckin' awful farm road so there's some power there for sure... had the wheels been on the ground the whole time, it would almost certainly have been much quicker.

I've since started adding 12 oz of Klotz octane booster to each full tank because the car threw a 139001 (Oxygen sensor after catalytic converter, from rich to lean: Delayed response) warning which concerned me--they've stopped since adding the Klotz to my 92 octane pump gas.

Beyond that, the only other tests this car is going to see will involve a prepped surface and a candle.

I took the car to the Ridge road course last week where she performed admirably (even in the corners) and was by far the fastest car on the straight away (tough to know, of course, if they were flat out but I'll assume so because it makes me feel good ).

These numbers are insane to say the least! Ive seen Burger post your car and had assumed you were on race gas, but i guess not!

Ive recently installed a JB4 on my m5 and i am a noob, on their site they skip map 6, what exactly did you do to achieve these numbers? just set the boost at 23psi? what about fuel? timing and etc?

ps would you mind pm'ing me the log for map 6 run?
      05-29-2019, 02:28 PM   #36
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickohlie View Post
These numbers are insane to say the least! Ive seen Burger post your car and had assumed you were on race gas, but i guess not!

Ive recently installed a JB4 on my m5 and i am a noob, on their site they skip map 6, what exactly did you do to achieve these numbers? just set the boost at 23psi? what about fuel? timing and etc?

ps would you mind pm'ing me the log for map 6 run?
Note that the car threw a code that I read as related to knock so I experimented with lowering the target boost and an octane booster. The latter has allowed me to maintain the same boost setup so I'm going with that. If you can get 93 octane where you live, perhaps that'll be sufficient by itself.

I'll PM you the logged pull later.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 03:44 PM   #37
nickohlie
Private
Rep

Quote:
Note that the car threw a code that I read as related to knock so I experimented with lowering the target boost and an octane booster. The latter has allowed me to maintain the same boost setup so I'm going with that. If you can get 93 octane where you live, perhaps that'll be sufficient by itself.

I'll PM you the logged pull later.
I wish we had 93oct, i'm in CA where 91 is really 89...

Have you tried to dyno the car on map 3?
i never dynod the car but i did 60-130mph logs with the dragy
map 1 was almost same as stock
map 2 improved by about .3-.4s
and map 3 improved almost by a second

thanks for the pm
      05-29-2019, 03:53 PM   #38
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wish we had 93oct, i'm in CA where 91 is really 89...

Have you tried to dyno the car on map 3?
i never dynod the car but i did 60-130mph logs with the dragy
map 1 was almost same as stock
map 2 improved by about .3-.4s
and map 3 improved almost by a second

thanks for the pm
I haven't used map 3. I progressed from map 1 to map 2 and wondered if there was more to be had. Since the jump from map 2 to 3 was greater than +1, I started tinkering with map 6 and never went back

//UPDATE: I just tried map 3, it's not as strong and feels non-linear. I suspect it's too much for the fuel so I went straight back. I'll try maps 3 and 5 soon, too, once I've got a chunk of octane booster in the tank since you've reminded me there are maps beyond 6.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 03:42 AM   #39
nickohlie
Private
Rep

Quote:
I haven't used map 3. I progressed from map 1 to map 2 and wondered if there was more to be had. Since the jump from map 2 to 3 was greater than +1, I started tinkering with map 6 and never went back

//UPDATE: I just tried map 3, it's not as strong and feels non-linear. I suspect it's too much for the fuel so I went straight back. I'll try maps 3 and 5 soon, too, once I've got a chunk of octane booster in the tank since you've reminded me there are maps beyond 6.
I felt the same when trying map 3, power wasn't linear at all on 91 oct, gotta try it with some race gas.
Your results on map 6 make me want to experiment as well, but i am not sure what to alter besides the target boost.
      06-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #40
NASTY-M5
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M% Competition

Which BMC filters and who did you buy from? Link ?

2019 M5 Competition.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #41
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY-M5 View Post
Which BMC filters and who did you buy from? Link ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M6LPYNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #42
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I felt the same when trying map 3, power wasn't linear at all on 91 oct, gotta try it with some race gas.
Your results on map 6 make me want to experiment as well, but i am not sure what to alter besides the target boost.
Sorry, I missed this post.

Like me, you'll have to experiment (gently) and log. I bumped it +1 psi at a time until I felt or observed knock which, for me, was at 24 psi. I stuck with 23 psi from there. However, the car threw a code once and once only that concerned me so now I add 18 oz of Klotz octane booster per tank (my container is 18 oz, there's nothing more than that contributing to the amount. I was trying to get it close to a 1 oz to 1 gallon ratio).

My map 6 customizations include only the boost-per-RPM tweaks, I've changed nothing else. I do experiment with those values here and there to see if there's any difference but so far this works for me:

1500 rpm --> 12 psi
2000 rpm --> 16 psi
[SIZE="2"](I don't think it ever quite achieves this but it sure sounds nice trying)[/SIZE]
2500 rpm --> 23 psi
… flat from there to 7000 rpm.

The result is a far less linear acceleration curve, it literally boots you in the back at 3000 rpm.

With your fuel, you'll likely need to go lower and stay there or add octane booster. Just remember, knock detection means it's already happened. Continued knock is an engine destroyer.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #43
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

limeypride - Amazing numbers man. Any updates on your custom Map 6? Are you seeing any issues? Are you still using it on 93 pump gas? Do you use it as your daily map or only on occasion?

We don't get 93 in Cali, but depending on your experience with the map, I'm strongly considering throwing some cans of torco in the back of my car, and running your Map 6 as a default map.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #44
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

The E63 you dyno'd, W212 or W213?
Appreciate 0