05-14-2019, 10:53 PM   #45
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
Look back at post #13 on this very same thread. shellbmb installed this exact same product right above the ACC sensor and posted pics, reporting no interference with the sensor’s normal functionality.

I currently use US Millworks’ tow hook mount for my front plate but now considering this sto-n-sho simply because it seems easier to remove and replace and leaves the plate in the proper centered position for when you do need to leave it on.
I've been very pleased with the product. It takes 2 seconds to remove/install it and it's stayed on with just the adhesive. And it has not affected the ACC sensor at all. Couldn't be happier with the product.

I mainly use it when I get on the highways where state troopers patrol. Local police don't care, but state troopers have pulled me over numerous times. Yes, I usually get a warning, but it's just easier to throw it on there and not worry about it.
Appreciate 1
josec704069.50
      05-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #46
StealthM5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21'M5, 24'IX50, 16'Jeep Rubi

CT requires a front plate but i have never been pulled over in 15 years for not having s front plate. The only time I’ve actually received a ticket is when I parked at a train station and the lazy meter maid cited me for not having a front plate. I think this had more to do with me being an out of town resident than anything else.
21’ F90 M5C Frozen Dark Grey/Tartufo (all options except NV) Prior: 19' F90 M5C DG/Aragon (all options except NV); 14’ F1O M5 SG/SS; 11’ E92 M3 SB/BL; 06’ E60 M5 SS/BL; 00’ E39 M5 CB/CAR; 95’ E36 M3 AB/DG
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #47
neohh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
I've been very pleased with the product. It takes 2 seconds to remove/install it and it's stayed on with just the adhesive. And it has not affected the ACC sensor at all. Couldn't be happier with the product.

I mainly use it when I get on the highways where state troopers patrol. Local police don't care, but state troopers have pulled me over numerous times. Yes, I usually get a warning, but it's just easier to throw it on there and not worry about it.
How is it holding up without drilling?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #48
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

In Singapore, front plates are compulsory and plate holders come installed direct from factory. I think the front still looks pretty good though. Having no front plates here, usually just gets a warning or a fine BUT if the cop decides to be nasty, they have the right to arrest the driver plus compound the vehicle. So most cars here adhere to installing front plates.
      05-28-2019, 10:39 PM   #49
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by neohh View Post
How is it holding up without drilling?
So far so good. I don't have the plate on the majority of the time though. But if you did decide to add the screw retention, the hole you drill is on the underside so you'd never see it.

UPDATE: I would recommend installing the screw as the adhesive has proved to be inadequate by itself to hold it on. I noticed lately it was started to come unglued and the plate was tilting down. Just FYI.

Last edited by shellbmb; 07-12-2019 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      05-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #50
dardeca
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion76 View Post
I just got pulled over today in Orange County, CA for not having my front plate. Got a fix it ticket. Now I have to install the front plates take it to the police station for the officers to check it.
Is there any way I can install the front plate without drilling a hole in the front bumper?
Get the plate holder that installs into the tow hook screw on the front bumper...easy to remove after they inspect it.
      05-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #51
Elanderholm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene View Post
That is an incorrect statement according to NY license plate information from their site:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/VAT/402

This is what it says about location.
"...one on the front and one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground..."

There is no mention that it has to be in the middle of the bumper. A few cars come from factory with plates on the side: Lamborghini, Alfa Romeo, Mitsubishi.
Just wanted to clarify.

I use earth magnets on the plate holder, and earth magnets inside the bumper. When I take the car out I just place the plate in the front when I feel like it. Do that on all the cars I own, except I did not do it on the 2015 M4, which I traded to get the M5C.
Earth magnets? I prefer moon magnets myself, but to each his/her own.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #52
goatfarmer1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

I live in Portland, Oregon and the issue with no front plate isn't the police but the meter maids...I received at least $500 aggregate of $85 individual "no front plate" parking tickets before starting to use 2-inch bolts with nuts on each end bolts to mount the a temp plate into the lower air intake when I park. Sucks, but....
Attached Images

Last edited by goatfarmer1970; 06-03-2019 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: to add pics
Appreciate 1
bubbaboy107.50
      06-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #53
Eurohorses
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 Jahre G80 M3

I got pulled over 3x crossing the bridges (Whitestone and TriBorough) here in NYC with my M6 before getting the remote flip plate. NYPD will almost always harass you if you look on the younger side and are driving these cars. I never had trouble in my M3 but as soon as I got the M6 it was a hassle. PBA Cards only help so much. High Boots or the Highway guys don't care... they will throw your stack of PBA cards right back at you.

No room for that plate on the M5 but it looks like the sto-n-go option might be functional. I'll have to dig deeper.
      06-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #54
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurohorses View Post
I got pulled over 3x crossing the bridges (Whitestone and TriBorough) here in NYC with my M6 before getting the remote flip plate. NYPD will almost always harass you if you look on the younger side and are driving these cars. I never had trouble in my M3 but as soon as I got the M6 it was a hassle. PBA Cards only help so much. High Boots or the Highway guys don't care... they will throw your stack of PBA cards right back at you.

No room for that plate on the M5 but it looks like the sto-n-go option might be functional. I'll have to dig deeper.
Funny you mention you having no trouble in your m3. Was just on the Cross Bronx heading to the Throgs Neck and saw two m3 and one m4 without front plates.
Moderate traffic so I was with at least one of them for a bit and and we passed at least 3 NYPD highway cruisers and nobody was pulled over.
I wasn't in my m5 so not sure if they would have pulled me over for lack of front plate but with so many saying how strict NYPD can be, I found it curious.
I'm going to be going from NJ to Long Island frequently this summer so I'm considering a tow hook plate just in case.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #55
JDC PDX
Car Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List Below

Garage List
1990 Ferrari 348tb  [0.00]
2019 M5 Competition  [10.00]
2016 GT3 RS  [0.00]
2016 675 LT Spider  [10.00]
1997 911 RWB  [10.00]
I just installed the Cravenspeed Platypus tow hook mount. It drove the parking sensors crazy. Took it off after 15 minutes.
      07-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #56
Mark240sx
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

I used to be against putting on a front license plate in └A. Would get fix-it ticket left and right. Longest time for driving without a front license plate for 2 1/2 years. The cop was so mad at me for driving this long. Cops in Santa Monica and other parts around └A love pulling people over.

Once I got the black license plate with the yellow font, I think it looks pretty sick now.
2012 M3 Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 11:31 AM   #57
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC PDX View Post
I just installed the Cravenspeed Platypus tow hook mount. It drove the parking sensors crazy. Took it off after 15 minutes.
I also just bought the platypus and installed it on Sunday. Out of the box it was touching the bumper and the bottom was touch the CF splitter. I had to bend where the bolt attaches and now it's fine.
The sensor has gone off a few times but not bad at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 01:02 PM   #58
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
I also just bought the platypus and installed it on Sunday. Out of the box it was touching the bumper and the bottom was touch the CF splitter. I had to bend where the bolt attaches and now it's fine.
What is the big deal about not drilling hole in front bumper to install a plate?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #59
Oswiff
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswiff View Post
What is the big deal about not drilling hole in front bumper to install a plate?
I prefer the look without the front plate.
Where I am 10 months out of the year I don't get bothered for not having a front plate. I spend July and August where I have been told they will ticket for no front plate. Don't need the hassle for the two months so I just do the tow hook plate and when I get back, back to nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #60
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan-M View Post
I also think it's not such a big deal. The car's front looks a bit better without the plate, but I'd much rather not worry about getting pulled over.

As always, there's the issue of getting it done right, though... Letting a random person at the dealership do it is probably not a good idea.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      07-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #61
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

Quote:
Look back at post #13 on this very same thread. shellbmb installed this exact same product right above the ACC sensor and posted pics, reporting no interference with the sensor’s normal functionality.

I currently use US Millworks’ tow hook mount for my front plate but now considering this sto-n-sho simply because it seems easier to remove and replace and leaves the plate in the proper centered position for when you do need to leave it on.
I used US Millworks for all my cars before but they dont list an application for the F90 M5, did you contact them directly to purchase yours?
      07-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #62
masmole
Captain
Rep
Drives: blue, gray, brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
I used US Millworks for all my cars before but they dont list an application for the F90 M5, did you contact them directly to purchase yours?
The screen shot below shows exactly what I ordered from the USMillworks site for my F90. Fit is perfect and doesn’t interfere with the parking sensors if you choose the appropriate mounting holes. I went with the right-most mounting holes (right of plate looking at the car from the front).

07-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #63
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

Quote:
The screen shot below shows exactly what I ordered from the USMillworks site for my F90. Fit is perfect and doesn’t interfere with the parking sensors if you choose the appropriate mounting holes. I went with the right-most mounting holes (right of plate looking at the car from the front).

Thanks brotha! ordering one now!