BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Anyone done a full custom swap/system?

01-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #1
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Anyone done a full custom swap/system?

Since B&W wasn't an available option for me (yay chip shortage!), I'm going to go the custom route. I used to be a big fan of custom stereos, but it's been a long time since I've been in that scene.

I was thinking of swapping out the H/K speakers for Focal ES series but I don't know if they're the same size as stock H/K or not? Definitely going to have to do a custom sub/box as well.

Curious if anyone's gone this route or not?

My last custom build was: dual Image Dynamics IDQ 10s in a custom box pushed by a JL 300/1, MB Quart components up front pushed by a JL 300/4 and an Alpine deck. I'm showing my age, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

I am a partner in a car audio speaker company, and also compete in sound quality competition. So I am no stranger to high-end car audio.

I decided not to upgrade the sound in my M5 because it is leased. Due to my enthusiast level, I don't really do simple audio systems in my cars. I tend to go all-out with ultra-high-end gear and custom installation. A 3 year lease just isn't enough time to justify my putting in the time or money to accomplish what I desire. The system in my Mercedes took 1.5 years to build, and involved some serious interior modification. It just doesn't make sense to do that to a lease.

Also, the options for integrating into the factory source are not great. As far as I know, neither the mOBridge nor the NavTV ZenV are compatible with the F90. That means we would have to use hi level outputs from the amplifier to get a signal. It's certainly possible, but it's not ideal. My old Audi was easier because we could get optical digital out from the factory source via a mObridge DA1.

The speaker locations and sizes are also not very good in the F90. The midbass are below the front seats, and the midranges are mounted to the door surface. It would be difficult to fit a larger speaker in the door without cutting metal.

If I were doing a system in my M5 I would not put any speakers in the doors at all. I would build custom A pillar pods for a midrange and tweeter, and then custom kick panels for the midbass. That's just my preference from my experience in sound quality competition.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 01-08-2022 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2022, 07:14 PM   #3
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

This is what's in my Mercedes S63 currently. You'll see why I have not bothered with the M5. 😉
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-08-2022, 10:18 PM   #4
neoprufrok
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Comp

I just finished up a near complete swap - kept the mid/tweeters of the B&W system because they are very good speakers at baseline. I posted about it.
2018 Porsche Graphite Blue Metallic GT3 Touring Manthey Racing and Akrapovic
2018 BMW Yas Marina Blue M4 Competition Convertible
Appreciate 2