BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    CS delivered

12-08-2021, 05:55 PM   #23
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
No ceramic. Looking mainly for chip protection and peace of mind too……
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #24
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
did you do Ceramic over the ppf? Im learning about these things now, as they have never interested me in the past..

I understand the ceramic over the ppf would serve as basically just making washing easier, more hyrdophobic etc.. Which i dont care about. I just dont want chips (which i know the PPF will protect)
That's basically some of the main points of ceramic.. easier to clean and hydrophobic. also protects from like bird shit or things that might otherwise settle in. Breeze to get off the car. My wheels are ceramic coated and they are easy as shit to clean. If it hasn't been more than a few weeks since wheels were last washed.. I can hit them with the power washer… watch the dirt and brake dust wash away and then run my hand over the surface and have a no obvious dirt on my fingers. I'm sure thinner spoked rims could be more of a challenge but I think I'd never skip ceramic coating wheels and the calipers now.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:44 PM   #25
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
No extra sheen or shine on the frozen/stealth finish?
Have it on my LBBM2C and the paint is like a mirror which is what concerns me about it's effects on the frozen finish.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:53 PM   #26
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
The ceramic coating not only makes it easier to clean, which it really does well, it not only protects the PPF and gives it longevity, but it also keeps a shine on your car for months and even years with proper maintenance.

Even when it's dirty. People have commented on my car how shinny it is. You have to come close to notice the dirt. And this is on bright orange paint. If you're spending the money on PPF you might as well ceramic coat it as well.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:23 PM   #27
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:
The ceramic coating not only makes it easier to clean, which it really does well, it not only protects the PPF and gives it longevity, but it also keeps a shine on your car for months and even years with proper maintenance.

Even when it's dirty. People have commented on my car how shinny it is. You have to come close to notice the dirt. And this is on bright orange paint. If you're spending the money on PPF you might as well ceramic coat it as well.
See my edited post above. That shine is exactly the concern on my paint.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:29 PM   #28
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
Quote:

See my edited post above. That shine is exactly the concern on my paint.
No it won't affect the frozen finish. It will shine but it will be a frozen shine. Basically it will help it to look as good as it looks on the day they install the PPF on it.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:43 PM   #29
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thx ok I need to digest that and talk to the installers. Wasn't looking to add anything more to the expense:
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:47 PM   #30
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

I had a 3D rep come to my shop the other day to show me some products. He showed me what ceramic can do to a frozen finish, i was shocked.. (in this particular case) it did change the matte finish. It looked much more rich. This could be a good or bad thing, depending on the look you like. I've been quite a bit of digging into this topic, as my dad's CS will be here hopefully sometime in this lifetime, i also have a car ordered, and my brothers m3 should be here in a month. So ideally, i'd like to have one detailer do all 3 cars.

At some sort of discount of course.. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #31
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

I don't understand the obsession with PPF.

Why does it costs so much to install it?

How many installers cutting PPF on top of a car, and cut through clear coat/paint?

Tucking ends requires removing panels. When those panels ends start to come undone, guess what? Those panels will have to be removed again.

Those undone films on panels/edges that may not be visible immediately to you; will collect dirt.

Not all edges can be installed without bunching up film.

Every PPF has a lifespan. It is not meant to be a permanent addition. When removing PPF after the adhesive has passed its optimal period and the super bond takes hold, it is entirely possible to lift paint off with the film. Most likely it will come off if installer cut the PPF on top of your car.

In addition, if installer removed panels to place film in impossible to reach areas, those same panels will have to come off and then and be reinstalled a second time when either replacing or removing the original PPF.

How many times panels will now have to be removed?

Every time panels are removed there's a chance of breaking mounting clips. Do all installers are honest and will replace broken clips with OEM part? Not sure that they would.

Furthermore, removal of old film, and reinstall of new PPF is time consuming and costly.

Than after all this hassle, when one goes to trade the car in, dealers are afraid of giving top dollar for it, because they don't know what the condition of the paint under that film. They may even ask you to remove that film.

So, before you go on this endeavor, make sure to find a very experienced and reputable installer. Ask as many stupid questions as possible.

IMHO, it will be cheaper to repaint the car at very reputable paint shop if your car has too many chips and scratches.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:12 AM   #32
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Repainting the car increases the risk of dust/foreign objects ending up on the panels/paint

There is no better paint procedure than the hermetically sealed paint booth from the factory.

In addition, PPF has self healing capabilities when heat and pressure is applied

Just my opinion
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #33
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedBMW View Post

How many installers cutting PPF on top of a car, and cut through clear coat/paint?

Tucking ends requires removing panels. When those panels ends start to come undone, guess what? Those panels will have to be removed again.

Those undone films on panels/edges that may not be visible immediately to you; will collect dirt.

Every PPF has a lifespan. It is not meant to be a permanent addition. When removing PPF after the adhesive has passed its optimal period and the super bond takes hold, it is entirely possible to lift paint off with the film. Most likely it will come off if installer cut the PPF on top of your car.

In addition, if installer removed panels to place film in impossible to reach areas, those same panels will have to come off and then and be reinstalled a second time when either replacing or removing the original PPF.

Every time panels are removed there's a chance of breaking mounting clips. Do all installers are honest and will replace broken clips with OEM part? Not sure that they would.

Furthermore, removal of old film, and reinstall of new PPF is time consuming and costly.

Than after all this hassle, when one goes to trade the car in, dealers are afraid of giving top dollar for it, because they don't know what the condition of the paint under that film. They may even ask you to remove that film.

So, before you go on this endeavor, make sure to find a very experienced and reputable installer. Ask as many stupid questions as possible.

IMHO, it will be cheaper to repaint the car at very reputable paint shop if your car has too many chips and scratches.
Valid points but the pros out weigh the cons (in my opinion). As for cost, the name brand good materials are expensive and as you've mentioned it takes a ton of time Ie labor/$$ to do this well……so a good job is costly but worth the peace of mind to some.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:16 PM   #34
Bluehorseshoe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Delete
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 12:18 AM   #35
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:

I kinda have the same mind frame too. Nobody cared about PPF and ceramic 6 years ago. You would see the word "wax" more often. And a majority of these cars are leased anyway with a margin of damage allowed for lease return. So why invest more money into something not yours..

But over time things change i guess. My father purchased his CS, and since the paint is finicky... might as well. Matte paint is very hard to replicate. I hate spraying it.

I'll be delving into the PPF option to, as i purchased a 720 and i definitely dont want chips in the nose. I doubt i will be wrapping the entir vehicle, front clip, yes, as long as i dont see a color difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #36
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
FYI I have been "clear bra'ing" my cars since my first M5 in 2000. Maybe newer products avail now but the 3M clear bra product has been around ( and used by me ) for at least 20yrs……
Maybe more interest now with all the fancy paint options we all have ?
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #37
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:

My 2018 M3 CS was the first car that I put PPF on. They didn't have to remove any body panels. Same with my M5 CS.

All of the edges were wrapped/tucked so I am not sure why panel removal would be necessary.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #38
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Stig View Post
Quote:

My 2018 M3 CS was the first car that I put PPF on. They didn't have to remove any body panels. Same with my M5 CS.

All of the edges were wrapped/tucked so I am not sure why panel removal would be necessary.
It all depends on a shop. Some do, some done.

If a shop has a machine that scans and then cuts the film to vehicle specification, than there shouldn't be any panel removal.

Those machines are not cheap, therefore, shops will cut films on a car.

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #39
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Crap water-based paint makes the PPF a no brainer.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #40
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post
Wouldn't ceramic coating be way cheaper option to combat that problem?

Also, wouldn't it be a problem when you go to remove xpel film? Especially if it is water based paint

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:06 PM   #41
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punitive View Post

makes no difference, solvent or water.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:17 PM   #42
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If a shop has a machine that scans and then cuts the film to vehicle specification, than there shouldn't be any panel removal.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes sir you are referring to the plotter machine. I recommend kavaca ppf. Have to pay to play. I would never do ppf on a lease though LOL!
Appreciate 1
Ominous136.50
      12-11-2021, 01:19 PM   #43
Punitive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
makes no difference, solvent or water.
Agreed but quality and durability have gone downhill since I started with the E39. The biggest decline being the F10 to F90.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 11:21 AM   #44
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
PPF and 35 % tint done. Nice surprise in the background…(oh and no issues with doing the hood…..)
Perfect