BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    Rear diffuser removal/fitting.

05-02-2021, 12:43 PM   #1
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Rear diffuser removal/fitting.

Anyone removed/fitted their own rear diffuser ?, any tips would be greatly appreciated, managed to source one at the right price, and will fit it myself, thanks chaps .
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #2
19M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

I did. It was easy. There is a video on how to remove the f90 M5 rear bumper cover and installing the diffuser. Use body panel trim tools. And take your time. I had to drill holes in my CF diffuser for the two side bottom screws, that was the only hard part. Take your time.

2016 Dodge Charger HC
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      05-03-2021, 04:52 AM   #3
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
Dead easy mate, but a ramp is useful.

The auto boot opener thingy took me a little fiddling to get right - you will see the sensor and for me, it was just a case of not over tightening the couple of central screws.
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      05-03-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Burns View Post
Dead easy mate, but a ramp is useful.

The auto boot opener thingy took me a little fiddling to get right - you will see the sensor and for me, it was just a case of not over tightening the couple of central screws.
Hi Mr B,
Did you just remove the diffuser itself, or the whole rear panel, that the diffuser sits in ?, thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #5
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi Mr B,
Did you just remove the diffuser itself, or the whole rear panel, that the diffuser sits in ?, thanks
Removed the whole rear panel mate.

You know I'm not the best at DIY (!) but it was easy, just take care with the clips is my advice and the bottom bumper literally just clips off and back on really well.

I can't remember why I didn't fit the diffuser with the bumper on, but wouldn't have removed unless I felt I had to.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Removed the whole rear panel mate.

You know I'm not the best at DIY (!) but it was easy, just take care with the clips is my advice and the bottom bumper literally just clips off and back on really well.

I can't remember why I didn't fit the diffuser with the bumper on, but wouldn't have removed unless I felt I had to.
Thanks very much Mr B, most helpful. Always like to be armed with as much info as possible, before tackling a job, invariably, these jobs are usually more simple than expected, when you get stuck in .
Appreciate 1
Burnsey315.50
      05-04-2021, 12:07 PM   #7
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

As others have said, it is relatively straightforward. I did it this weekend on my F90. Remove screws underneath, remove the bumper insert into which the diffuser sits, pops the clips out of the bottom of the diffuser where it clips to the car, then remove the whole bottom panel with diffuser. Then pop out the compression fitting things and remove the diffuser and then reverse the process. As others have said, take your time and it should go well. Cheers!
2003 530i (retired)
2000 C32 AMG (retired)
Appreciate 1
Simon H874.50
      05-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
Simon H
Major
Rep

Just to update the post. Not sure if the LCI bumper fittings are slightly different, but its definitely best to unclip the diffuser bottom clips first, before trying to dislodge the bumper insert fittings. I did the opposite, and tried to dislodge the bumper insert fittings first, which i managed to do, but the insert panel felt very tight, and not bendy. The reason was, it was still clipped into the bottom clips, which was holding it very firm. Not sure if the pre LCI is like this, judging by others take on it. Fitted it the reverse i had taken it off, and it was a complete breeze, very pleased with it.

Appreciate 2
Burnsey315.50
Jamesmick131.00
      05-10-2021, 02:19 PM   #9
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep

Garage List
That's what we said

Looks great mate. Loving that colour!

Quote:
Just to update the post. Not sure if the LCI bumper fittings are slightly different, but its definitely best to unclip the diffuser bottom clips first, before trying to dislodge the bumper insert fittings. I did the opposite, and tried to dislodge the bumper insert fittings first, which i managed to do, but the insert panel felt very tight, and not bendy. The reason was, it was still clipped into the bottom clips, which was holding it very firm. Not sure if the pre LCI is like this, judging by others take on it. Fitted it the reverse i had taken it off, and it was a complete breeze, very pleased with it.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 04:28 PM   #10
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
That's what we said

Looks great mate. Loving that colour!
Also didnt come across the comfort access sensor, which i thought i would, the foot shuffle one , which also made me wonder if the LCI fittings were slightly different. Not much of a problem i know, but may help others doing this small job in the future ? .
Appreciate 1
Burnsey315.50
      11-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #11
naz162uk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16HC View Post
I did. It was easy. There is a video on how to remove the f90 M5 rear bumper cover and installing the diffuser. Use body panel trim tools. And take your time. I had to drill holes in my CF diffuser for the two side bottom screws, that was the only hard part. Take your time.
Do you have to remove the full bumper or just the the lower gloss black part ?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #12
naz162uk
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

How did you take the lower gloss black part off without taking the bumper off?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #13
Jamesmick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz162uk View Post
I can't recall how many now, but I believe there are 3-4 screws underneath that you have to unscrew. Then you can remove the bumper insert into which the diffuser sits (not the entire bumper, just that bottom part) by popping the clips out of the bottom of the diffuser where it clips to that part, then you can remove the whole bottom panel with diffuser.

From here you then pop out the compression fitting things and remove the diffuser and then reverse the process.
2003 530i (retired)
2000 C32 AMG (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #14
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
As per last post. Remove the small bolt headed screw fixings, from the underside. Then unclip the diffuser bottom edge first, as mentioned above, then its a case of wiggling, and pressing out, the remaining compression fittings, of the diffuser holding panel, the black surround.

Appreciate 1
      11-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #15
naz162uk
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
As per last post. Remove the small bolt headed screw fixings, from the underside. Then unclip the diffuser bottom edge first, as mentioned above, then its a case of wiggling, and pressing out, the remaining compression fittings, of the diffuser holding panel, the black surround.

Thanks all done, was pretty easy really
Appreciate 1
Jamesmick131.00
      11-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #16
naz162uk
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks got it, that video is really helpful
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 08:12 PM   #17
Laoschris
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80

Looking to install a diffuser I just purchased so this helped!

Curious, has anyone seen or installed a rear diffuser with the f1 style brake light?
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #18
naz162uk
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoschris View Post
Looking to install a diffuser I just purchased so this helped!

Curious, has anyone seen or installed a rear diffuser with the f1 style brake light?
That would be interesting to see
Appreciate 0