BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Sport brake pads

03-19-2021, 04:02 AM   #1
coM5ition
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
Sport brake pads

Hi guys!
Anyone using Sport Brake Pads from BMW?
I was just searching for retrofit parts and found 030107 Brake pad, sport pad, which states "Sport brake pad - derived from motorsport - with increased performance compared with the standard/competition brake pad."
I checked the part numbers and differ from the regular one.
Are they better or just more expensive?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 06:00 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [0.00]
Depending upon your market BMW has different braking options.

I would assume full M5s would have this option by default with Carbons options.

I know the lesser models in the States have the option to pay additional for Sport Brakes.

Not sure if that helps.

I will say the sport brakes we get here are pretty good and long-lasting, minus the dust and brake noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #3
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

These are pads that BMW makes only available in Europe. They use them at the 'ring on the M5 ring taxi.

The stock ones from the dealer are inadequate especially in the rear for track use. They will WORK, but the rears wear out incredibly quickly because they are so small.

BMW made this pad in response. They won't ship it to us stupid americans. It's made by Pagid, just like the stock ones.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2021, 09:40 PM   #4
vanos84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 BSM

I'm not sure which ones are on my car but they're the dustiest pads I've ever seen. My wheels are orange more often than black. I just ordered a full set of Porterfield R4s pads to hopefully mitigate this problem and improve performance in the process...
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #5
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanos84 View Post
I'm not sure which ones are on my car but they're the dustiest pads I've ever seen. My wheels are orange more often than black. I just ordered a full set of Porterfield R4s pads to hopefully mitigate this problem and improve performance in the process...
It is VERY unlikely that the porterfields will outperform the BMW M-sport pads on the car in braking performance. Low dust for the most part implies that the performance will be less than the high dust pads. They may be still very good, but in a repeated head to head I'll bet pretty hard on the BMW stock pad.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 12:22 AM   #6
vanos84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
It is VERY unlikely that the porterfields will outperform the BMW M-sport pads on the car in braking performance. Low dust for the most part implies that the performance will be less than the high dust pads. They may be still very good, but in a repeated head to head I'll bet pretty hard on the BMW stock pad.

Shawn
You may be right. I'm just going by what others have stated who have made the change. Most of the people I've asked about them say that the performance is about the same as the stockers, but I will soon find out for myself. At this point I would even be will to sacrifice a smidgen of performance to fix the dust problem.
Appreciate 0