BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Cosmetic Modifications    DIY: F90 / G30 LCI Tail Lights Retrofit

01-19-2022, 12:43 AM   #441
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfolife View Post
Hey community I'm having an issue with my retrofit and maybe someone else has had this.
I purchased the LCI lights from Abdul (after lengthy delays)for my 18 Base M5. My car had the whole 5th wire on the inners and I repinned as per this thread. I had Vic code the lights and they worked fine but then every once in a while the left, right and sometimes both outer upper lights would stop working as far as the brake and signal function. The parking light function as does the lower strips but signal and braking intermittent. (only affecting the large led portion not the thin strips at the bottom)
When I scan I'm getting fault codes for shorts in both left and right outer lights and another for "exceeded allowable short circuit resets" which I believe is the Body control unit. Ive checked the security of both plugs and wires to the outer lights.
Has anyone experienced this?
Is it possible the lights (NA spec on NA Car) are defective?
Should I run feed wires from the BDC/inner tail lights since I didn't
Think I needed to? Sorry if this was addressed before
It doesn't sound like faulty lights as it's highly unlikely that both sides would be malfunctioning the same way and both are faulty.

Let's talk about the fifth wire. Why did you need a 5th wire with US lights? The 5th wire is for Euro lights from the BDC or jump to the outer. US cars mid 2019 and older often have 5 wires but the 5th is for rear fogs and basically doing nothing for the pre LCI tails.

So tell me more about the 5th wire. Where is it now on your inner connector and did you do anything with it at the BDC. Have you tried just removing the 5th wire from the inner connector and just use 4 wires per page one of this thread?
Some US cars came with 5th wire but if u used US spec lights then u don't need it at all. Also make sure ur welcome lights are turned off in idrive.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 05:08 AM   #442
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
Some US cars came with 5th wire but if u used US spec lights then u don't need it at all. Also make sure ur welcome lights are turned off in idrive.
Correct, this is pretty much my hunt on what exactly did he do with the 5th wire that is for rear fogs if it is in the trunk. US cars don't use fogs fogs, they don't have the switch and US lights generally do not ship with rear fogs. The LCI's might, but this is where I would start with his issues.
      01-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #443
mfolife
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 m5

Hey Joe and GATX. As you both mentioned some cars including mine came with the 5th wire. When I did the swap I unpinned and then secured and covered the rear fog wire with electrical tape. From following this thread I was able to have full functionality with one issue. When I scanned the car it always showed this "Short circuit left and right outer lights". Sometimes shutting down the car would help as that seems to have allowed the BDC to reset itself and everything would work. However the latest code I'm getting as mentioned is "I've exceeded allowable short circuit resets." So I'm thinking either a fuse has blown at the BDC and or the unit will need to be recoded to allow power to the upper portion of the left side tail light.
I have not touched anything at the BDC nor did I run any extra wires from inner to outer as mentioned.
I am hoping that these lights are in fact OEM Bmw and not a knock-off made to look OEM. Going to dig and see if the BDC does have replaceable fuses for each light function as I'm stumped and driving around with a brake light not working.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:07 PM   #444
euro*
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Hey Joe and GATX. As you both mentioned some cars including mine came with the 5th wire. When I did the swap I unpinned and then secured and covered the rear fog wire with electrical tape. From following this thread I was able to have full functionality with one issue. When I scanned the car it always showed this "Short circuit left and right outer lights". Sometimes shutting down the car would help as that seems to have allowed the BDC to reset itself and everything would work. However the latest code I'm getting as mentioned is "I've exceeded allowable short circuit resets." So I'm thinking either a fuse has blown at the BDC and or the unit will need to be recoded to allow power to the upper portion of the left side tail light.
I have not touched anything at the BDC nor did I run any extra wires from inner to outer as mentioned.
I am hoping that these lights are in fact OEM Bmw and not a knock-off made to look OEM. Going to dig and see if the BDC does have replaceable fuses for each light function as I'm stumped and driving around with a brake light not working.
Never heard about this, you would need to deal with who ever coded your lights. We would not know the answer to your question.

Plus your lights might not even be oem, big issue. You have a lot of things to figure out, before we can give advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:13 PM   #445
mfolife
Rep

Abdul (who I purchased from) stated these are OEM. Coding was done by Vic at bimmercode. I guess I do have some more digging to do here.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:00 PM   #446
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
It sounds like coding and I have seen people "lose" coding so it is not out of the realm of possibilities that they need to be recoded, but I am guessing you have already exhausted that path with Vic who probably told you about the short circuit errors.

I got my lights from Abdul as well as you know. I have a pretty good eye for knock offs and mine were 100% legit. Part numbers, labeling and packaging was all BMW. Just weighing in, but who knows?? I have not had any issues with my Euros other than noticing something well after coding that needed to be tweaked by Vic and took him 10 minutes. I really didn't spend too much time checking all functionality after install. The brakes lit up and the blinkers worked and I called it a success. The outers weren't braking though which I discovered later, but he coded it.

I am stumped. That 5th wire on US lights was my best hunch. Keep us posted and I will dig around too.
      01-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #447
Ptoscano911
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It sounds like coding and I have seen people "lose" coding so it is not out of the realm of possibilities that they need to be recoded, but I am guessing you have already exhausted that path with Vic who probably told you about the short circuit errors.

I got my lights from Abdul as well as you know. I have a pretty good eye for knock offs and mine were 100% legit. Part numbers, labeling and packaging was all BMW. Just weighing in, but who knows?? I have not had any issues with my Euros other than noticing something well after coding that needed to be tweaked by Vic and took him 10 minutes. I really didn't spend too much time checking all functionality after install. The brakes lit up and the blinkers worked and I called it a success. The outers weren't braking though which I discovered later, but he coded it.

I am stumped. That 5th wire on US lights was my best hunch. Keep us posted and I will dig around too.
Just did the install for the Euro spec LCI's sourced from Abdul. Lights look 100 percent OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:21 PM   #448
mfolife
Rep

Thanks I'll definitely keep the community posted. I actually found the errors on my own. Tried reaching out to Vic via WhatsApp from the same contact # listed earlier but have not got a response yet.
Didn't know it was possible to loose coding other than dealer tinkering with the software. Going to explore that-thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #449
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Thanks I'll definitely keep the community posted. I actually found the errors on my own. Tried reaching out to Vic via WhatsApp from the same contact # listed earlier but have not got a response yet.
Didn't know it was possible to loose coding other than dealer tinkering with the software. Going to explore that-thank you.
If you are comfortable with Bimmer App or Esys, you can do your own coding. I am not but know a few people that did their own coding.

Vic is very talented, but he can also be tough to nail down, which I find with most coders. He has done right by me and I have paid him well even when he didn't want any additional money, but I have been playing the "let's play it by ear game" on getting a time when he can code my rear fogs. I gave up after several attempts to schedule something.

I have heard great things about codemybimmer from people I really trust. HK based but very responsive and flexible to time differences.

https://www.codemybimmer.ca/
      01-20-2022, 02:21 PM   #450
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
In my guide I will be installing USA/Canadian spec Red Tail Lights on USA/Canadian spec car. North American spec cars have 4 pins on inner trunk lid tail lights, while the rest of the world has 5.

I hope this guide will be helpful to others! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.
euro*, I wanted to thank you for putting together such an excellent guide. I especially love how you sweated the details around which side to start pulling things from, etc. Just the right amount of pics too, and annotated clearly. Made it very easy to follow as a novice. Many other guides gloss over things that can be a challenge for a beginner, but you put the time in to save it for the rest of us . Highly appreciated!
Appreciate 1
euro*1654.00
      01-27-2022, 09:37 PM   #451
euro*
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
In my guide I will be installing USA/Canadian spec Red Tail Lights on USA/Canadian spec car. North American spec cars have 4 pins on inner trunk lid tail lights, while the rest of the world has 5.

I hope this guide will be helpful to others! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.
euro*, I wanted to thank you for putting together such an excellent guide. I especially love how you sweated the details around which side to start pulling things from, etc. Just the right amount of pics too, and annotated clearly. Made it very easy to follow as a novice. Many other guides gloss over things that can be a challenge for a beginner, but you put the time in to save it for the rest of us . Highly appreciated!
Thank you! Very happy to hear 🙏
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 09:15 PM   #452
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Another cold morning and again "turn signal error" in both left and right lights…SMH
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 09:49 PM   #453
mfolife
Rep

Quote:
If you are comfortable with Bimmer App or Esys, you can do your own coding. I am not but know a few people that did their own coding.

Vic is very talented, but he can also be tough to nail down, which I find with most coders. He has done right by me and I have paid him well even when he didn't want any additional money, but I have been playing the "let's play it by ear game" on getting a time when he can code my rear fogs. I gave up after several attempts to schedule something.

I have heard great things about codemybimmer from people I really trust. HK based but very responsive and flexible to time differences.

Hey Joe -finally got Vic and he came through. After all the weird issues, turns out it was a coding issue. Was a bit nervous as my BDC had to be flashed a couple time zones away and my internet was acting up at the risk of bricking the module. I believe he had to revert to a slighter older software -but so far so good. Everything working-thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 04:45 AM   #454
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Hey Joe -finally got Vic and he came through. After all the weird issues, turns out it was a coding issue. Was a bit nervous as my BDC had to be flashed a couple time zones away and my internet was acting up at the risk of bricking the module. I believe he had to revert to a slighter older software -but so far so good. Everything working-thanks for the help.
Nice, that's great news. I have not seen any hardware issues reported, so it is really always coding. Sometimes it's misleading because it worked right for a long time and then the gremlins pop up. Vic is a good Dude!
      01-29-2022, 09:33 AM   #455
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Another cold morning and again "turn signal error" in both left and right lights…SMH
I’d double check your connections (at the terminals where you re-pinned the wires). Sounds like with metal contracting in the cold, there isn’t a solid connection. Ensure they are pushed all the way in. Worst case scenario, you made need a new black wire terminal.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:28 PM   #456
take0524
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello, please tell me
I installed the ECE version yesterday, but only one of the rear fogs lights up.
Even if the voltage is measured at the connector part, it is zero.
Do you need any coding?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #457
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by take0524 View Post
Hello, please tell me
I installed the ECE version yesterday, but only one of the rear fogs lights up.
Even if the voltage is measured at the connector part, it is zero.
Do you need any coding?
It's normal in many countries for only one fog light to work. This is by design so people behind you do not think you are braking. However, it is possible through coding to have them both work at the same time. Mine are coded for one and Vic is stumped. I've seen other coders make both function.
      02-02-2022, 08:42 PM   #458
take0524
Rep

Quote:
It's normal in many countries for only one fog light to work. This is by design so people behind you do not think you are braking. However, it is possible through coding to have them both work at the same time. Mine are coded for one and Vic is stumped. I've seen other coders make both function.
Thank you
Currently, the rear fog is lit only on the driver's side.
I also want to light the passenger side, but the coding parameters
Do you know
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 03:01 AM   #459
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by take0524 View Post
Quote:
Thank you
Currently, the rear fog is lit only on the driver's side.
I also want to light the passenger side, but the coding parameters
Do you know
Same here, drivers side. The drivers side is the one that is supposed to work. In the UK it's the right side only. I do not know the coding parameters. .
      02-03-2022, 03:32 AM   #460
Evil Derboy
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Same here, drivers side. The drivers side is the one that is supposed to work. In the UK it's the right side only. I do not know the coding parameters. .
I'm pretty sure that these lights only actually have one physical fog light in them. The EU/UK ones at least. Happy to be corrected but when I fitted mine I checked this out and it looked like the light assembly was different on one side compared to the other.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:14 AM   #461
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstone_UK View Post
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that these lights only actually have one physical fog light in them. The EU/UK ones at least. Happy to be corrected but when I fitted mine I checked this out and it looked like the light assembly was different on one side compared to the other.
The Euro spec OEM tails all have fogs on both sides.
      02-03-2022, 04:23 AM   #462
take0524
Rep

Quote:
The Euro spec OEM tails all have fogs on both sides.
Thank you
If coding is impossible
For the cable on the driver's side in terms of hardware
Is it to connect the rear fog cable on the passenger seat side?
Appreciate 0