BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Climate control - a bit unsettled

12-28-2021, 04:43 PM   #1
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Climate control - a bit unsettled

I've searched for a similar thread and failed, so apologies if this has been discussed before...

I'm 6 months into F90 ownership (MY 2020) and still can't get the climate control to behave.

I did 2 x 2 hours drives over Christmas and had the climate control set on 19C with everything set to Auto (including A/C). For 5 minutes I'm being blasted with ice cold air, then it belts out a furnace for 5 minutes, then goes back to ice mode etc. etc. Continuously. For 4 hours.

In previous long drives in this car, I've constantly tweaked the temp controller and other settings to try and find a happy balance, but this time I just let it settle to see what happened (over the course of the 4 hours). The car tried to give me pneumonia!

This is my 8th BMW and I've never seen this issue before. In previous cars, it would gently tweak the air temperature to maintain a constant of 19C and I've never had any issues.

Aside from the constant switching from ice to furnace, the car also suffers badly from internal misting. Windscreen. Rear window. Side windows. It was tough to just leave the system for 4 hours and try to see clearly out of the windows, while shivering and sweating.

I've seen lots of posts on here about how to set the climate control; which is why I set everything to 'neutral' / 'auto', but no joy.

I'm in the UK. Outside temperature was around 8C. Not particularly humid, but a bit of rain.

Does anything here sound odd? Is it 'normal' for the car to flip between extreme cold air to extreme hot air constantly without changing any settings?

Ta.
      12-28-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
I've searched for a similar thread and failed, so apologies if this has been discussed before...

I'm 6 months into F90 ownership (MY 2020) and still can't get the climate control to behave.

I did 2 x 2 hours drives over Christmas and had the climate control set on 19C with everything set to Auto (including A/C). For 5 minutes I'm being blasted with ice cold air, then it belts out a furnace for 5 minutes, then goes back to ice mode etc. etc. Continuously. For 4 hours.

In previous long drives in this car, I've constantly tweaked the temp controller and other settings to try and find a happy balance, but this time I just let it settle to see what happened (over the course of the 4 hours). The car tried to give me pneumonia!

This is my 8th BMW and I've never seen this issue before. In previous cars, it would gently tweak the air temperature to maintain a constant of 19C and I've never had any issues.

Aside from the constant switching from ice to furnace, the car also suffers badly from internal misting. Windscreen. Rear window. Side windows. It was tough to just leave the system for 4 hours and try to see clearly out of the windows, while shivering and sweating.

I've seen lots of posts on here about how to set the climate control; which is why I set everything to 'neutral' / 'auto', but no joy.

I'm in the UK. Outside temperature was around 8C. Not particularly humid, but a bit of rain.

Does anything here sound odd? Is it 'normal' for the car to flip between extreme cold air to extreme hot air constantly without changing any settings?

Ta.
Have you taken the car in for service? Sounds like you have had this issue for 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 05:41 PM   #3
Karl V
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Sideways

Thanks for the reply.

The next service is not due until about March, so not yet no.

I'm trying to figure out if what I am seeing is 'normal', or whether I should get it looked by the stealers. Cheers.

P.S. - I think I know the answer. Just looking to see if this may be a known issue.
      12-28-2021, 07:57 PM   #4
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

That's not normal. The climate control kind of blows honestly (no pun intended), but it's definitely not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 08:28 PM   #5
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl V View Post
Thanks for the reply.

The next service is not due until about March, so not yet no.

I'm trying to figure out if what I am seeing is 'normal', or whether I should get it looked by the stealers. Cheers.

P.S. - I think I know the answer. Just looking to see if this may be a known issue.
Yeah definitely not normal.... you might want to check in the settings to see if you have the top vents set to cold for example or hot and that might be what you're describing, bmws have the option to adjust just the central vents to a colder or hotter setting which if you're not careful with can cause headaches and make it seem like heat and or ac are not working
Appreciate 0