BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls    Driveshaft popped off after installing lowering kit

12-03-2021, 11:41 PM   #1
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Driveshaft popped off after installing lowering kit

My left front driveshaft popped off after my workshop installed a Dinan Has kit.
The bolt that holds the wheel hub to the drivshaft had completely come loose after driving a bit.
My installer put the bolt back in and torqued to 210nm but immediately after to try backing out it popped out again this time we noticed that the short spring thats in between the bolt and the hub was bent so he bent it back in place and then torqued the bolt to 250nm and the driveshaft has then stayed in place since.

I think it's possible that the first time he assembled the driveshaft and hub he didn't got the splines in line but the second time?
And what we could see the splines looked good.

I since then found a video on a replacement of a driveshaft on a F10 5 series that looked to be the same design as my M5 and they torqued the hub bolt to 210nm and then 90 degrees according too spec.

We then wondered if the bolts is one time stretch bolts anyone who know?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 03:21 AM   #2
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 Comp First Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holset View Post
My left front driveshaft popped off after my workshop installed a Dinan Has kit.
The bolt that holds the wheel hub to the drivshaft had completely come loose after driving a bit.
My installer put the bolt back in and torqued to 210nm but immediately after to try backing out it popped out again this time we noticed that the short spring thats in between the bolt and the hub was bent so he bent it back in place and then torqued the bolt to 250nm and the driveshaft has then stayed in place since.

I think it's possible that the first time he assembled the driveshaft and hub he didn't got the splines in line but the second time?

I since then found a video on a replacement of a driveshaft on a F10 5 series that looked to be the same design as my M5 and they torqued the hub bolt to 210nm and then 90 degrees according too spec.

Did U use the same bolt or new one. More than likely it was the old one that's is why it happened. U have to use new bolts.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
2018 Maserati Ghibli SQ4 GranSport
Appreciate 1
Holset272.50
      12-04-2021, 06:04 AM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:

When I installed the HAS kit I purchased new bolts for the hub, but decided to take a chance and reused the old bolts, hoping that BMW is just being extra careful with their policy on always replacing any bolt you loosen, every time. With the aluminum bolts I always replace, but with stout metal in the larger diameters I’m willing to take a chance. That extra 90 degrees after achieving 210 Nm took an extension on the torque wrench for me. I’m getting weak in my old age.

I have thousands of miles on the car since, with a couple track days as well and no problems with the hubs.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
Quote:

When I installed the HAS kit I purchased new bolts for the hub, but decided to take a chance and reused the old bolts, hoping that BMW is just being extra careful with their policy on always replacing any bolt you loosen, every time. With the aluminum bolts I always replace, but with stout metal in the larger diameters I’m willing to take a chance. That extra 90 degrees after achieving 210 Nm took an extension on the torque wrench for me. I’m getting weak in my old age.

I have thousands of miles on the car since, with a couple track days as well and no problems with the hubs.
Well reason I mentioned it is as exact same-thing happened to me on drivers side but luckily nothing was damaged.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTATX View Post
Well reason I mentioned it is as exact same-thing happened to me on drivers side but luckily nothing was damaged.
I remember your post, in fact I had to look at the date on this one to make sure it wasn’t the same one! Oh, I might as well say it here, congratulations on the 1/4 mile time and speed you posted over in the M5 vs thread! That’s impressive! Have you been in the 9s before? Or at 140 either?
Appreciate 1
GTATX1104.00
      12-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did U use the same bolt or new one. More than likely it was the old one that's is why it happened. U have to use new bolts.
We reused the old bolts ,so i guess they are one time only stretch bolts thats why that happened.
Thanks for the answer thats a really good thing too know for anyone that has too loose those bolts.

My car is going in to the dealership soon for exchange to a new gas tank because some baffles has come loose and is making noise i tell them to change out the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Alright well even though it's good for know I'm not taking any chances I'm changing the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #8
GTATX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I remember your post, in fact I had to look at the date on this one to make sure it wasn't the same one! Oh, I might as well say it here, congratulations on the 1/4 mile time and speed you posted over in the M5 vs thread! That's impressive! Have you been in the 9s before? Or at 140 either?
Thanks bud first time. Ecu tune was there but needed tcu tune fixed which Xhp drag mode did.
2021 BMW X6M Comp
2019 BMW M5
Appreciate 0