BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Limit on LC?

02-13-2021, 03:08 PM   #111
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Would it be possible for the dealer, to plug the car in, and see how many launches have been performed, and how many you have left etc ?.
I can't image why not. I'm sure they can see the counter.
Appreciate 1
Simon H876.00
      02-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #112
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

In all reality in less your at the drag strip or showing it off to someone. How often is it really needed? I wonder if M DCT cars have a limit also?
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #113
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS_BMW View Post
In all reality in less your at the drag strip or showing it off to someone. How often is it really needed? I wonder if M DCT cars have a limit also?
Mine did not. But LC on those RWD model was a useless gimmick so I'm not sure I'd ever have hit it.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 01:37 AM   #114
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
Do we know of any mechanics, preferably a BMW mechanic, who would verify this issue? If so, I could maybe be convinced to take it as a class action.
LOL

Good luck with that--c'mon, are you going to take on BMW? Show me where it says the transmission won't protect itself (or at least as they or ZF deem "necessary protection"). I don't like it... but I like enough else about the cars to live with it. In addition, perhaps its related to tune detection--piggybacks aren't immune as so many like to think. I'm told they record acceleration velocity and take into account elevation changes--"Dear customer, how did you manage to achieve 0-60mph in 2.57s up hill when the math indicates that our car, in stock form, cannot do better than 2.95s? Yes sir, we know stuff like that, too."

If you do decide to take them on, I'm happy to be put on a stand and be a pissed-off witness with credible experiential evidence but, to my mind, we don't have a leg to stand on.
what if you don't launch using launch control? meaning just turn DSC off, auto hold off, left foot brake and right foot gas like the good old days. will it limit the launches then since it doesn't trigger the toast message saying 'launch control active'
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 07:06 AM   #115
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Do we know of any mechanics, preferably a BMW mechanic, who would verify this issue? If so, I could maybe be convinced to take it as a class action.
LOL

Good luck with that--c'mon, are you going to take on BMW? Show me where it says the transmission won't protect itself (or at least as they or ZF deem "necessary protection"). I don't like it... but I like enough else about the cars to live with it. In addition, perhaps its related to tune detection--piggybacks aren't immune as so many like to think. I'm told they record acceleration velocity and take into account elevation changes--"Dear customer, how did you manage to achieve 0-60mph in 2.57s up hill when the math indicates that our car, in stock form, cannot do better than 2.95s? Yes sir, we know stuff like that, too."

If you do decide to take them on, I'm happy to be put on a stand and be a pissed-off witness with credible experiential evidence but, to my mind, we don't have a leg to stand on.
what if you don't launch using launch control? meaning just turn DSC off, auto hold off, left foot brake and right foot gas like the good old days. will it limit the launches then since it doesn't trigger the toast message saying 'launch control active'
I don't think that will have an impact on any counter as it's not proper LC. It should also be slower and not the same results as with LC. Someone mentioned it earlier and I am just parroting what the said.. with LC it sounds like Quick Shift 3 (QS3) is enabled. Without LC you aren't going to get QS3 and be as quick.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #116
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LOL

I don't think that will have an impact on any counter as it's not proper LC. It should also be slower and not the same results as with LC. Someone mentioned it earlier and I am just parroting what the said.. with LC it sounds like Quick Shift 3 (QS3) is enabled. Without LC you aren't going to get QS3 and be as quick.
As I understand it, this is correct.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #117
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
LOL

I've found in non-M cars you can launch better with DSC off than using LC. I wonder if this will affect the G80/82 as well
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #118
fullsmoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5, 2024 M2

Quote:
And you are in the majority.

I launch often—usually from traffic lights against minivans driven by parents whose expression at the subsequent light clearly conveys their admiration and appreciation for my efforts.
Haahahahh! Loved this post! Laughed so hard!!!

FS
Appreciate 1
limeypride4429.00
      02-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #119
RobbyRH10
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp

Garage List
This is the first time ive heard of the 100 launch limit. To me, that is BMW clearly trying to hide this information. They should have a launch control tracker on the car that we can view on the dash or the menu screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 01:16 AM   #120
Black Chili
IT geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Black Saphire Metalic

Ran across this topic while researching the new G80, and I'm pretty floored. I was considering a G80 AWD, X3MC, or M5C, however, it looks like they'll all be subject to the LC limit. Granted, I might not hit that limit, but the fact that BMW decided to build what amounts to a limited-ultimate-driving-machine just to save a couple of bucks is severely disappointing. It feels like they're faking it for as long as they think the owner won't notice, then cutting their warranty liability instead of just making a proper drivetrain in the first place.. pure bean-counter stupidity ruining yet another otherwise brilliant brand FWIW, this post is causing me to look at other options and I most likely won't continue as a loyal BMW owner (sadly).

**Serious** black-eye stuff for sure. Imagine a competitor to any one of the above BMW options and the embarrassing commercials and advertisements all but write themselves. Instead of suing them (I'm sure they've boiler-plated their way around it anyway), someone (wink wink) should just hit all the competitor forums, Reddit, and elsewhere and let the court of public opinion show them the error of their ways. Perhaps then they might revert to the company we use to like?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 02:58 AM   #121
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Mind blown. This is good to know. Thanks folks!

Porsche really shines here. Much easier LC, and is unlimited. Shame Munich can't do the same...

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 2
FSociety3816.50
      03-03-2021, 07:52 PM   #122
lporschef10m5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 M5

Garage List
2022 GLS 63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Would it be possible for the dealer, to plug the car in, and see how many launches have been performed, and how many you have left etc ?.
Yeah I m curious about it too..how do you know how many LC left
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 08:04 PM   #123
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lporschef10m5 View Post
Quote:
Yeah I m curious about it too..how do you know how many LC left
I never found a way until after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #124
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Learn something new every day... so buying used you really get hosed on this.

I now understand porsche making such a big deal out of unlimited back to back launches. A not so subtle dig at their countrymen. This isn't the most upsetting thing ever but it sucks and add it to the list of things pushing me toward P-car territory.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #125
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
Learn something new every day... so buying used you really get hosed on this.

I now understand porsche making such a big deal out of unlimited back to back launches. A not so subtle dig at their countrymen. This isn't the most upsetting thing ever but it sucks and add it to the list of things pushing me toward P-car territory.
Sigh. Yeah. Agreed... but their tech SUCKS compared to BMW. Then there's the +50% price premium for those of us that like to lease and switch annually.
Appreciate 1
LASpartan104.00
      03-05-2021, 09:01 PM   #126
Mcc420
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 g80x  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I think the limit is 50 not 100. This is according to xhp which seems to make sense from my experience.

F90 Comp, Hcp custom e40 meth, 9.76@143, 174ml/h 1/2ml 60-130 5.53

F10 M5, HCP Tune ,BM3, 10:8@137, 166.05 1/2ml.
Ig @mcc420
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #127
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Perhaps it's possible to code that limit - especially if it is a configuration value somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:44 PM   #128
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcc420 View Post
I think the limit is 50 not 100. This is according to xhp which seems to make sense from my experience.
What is xhp?

// edit: I've just dug a little into xhp and it seems that's a company/business that does something BMW-related. Two questions:
1. What is it they do?
2. Many of your posts seem to include xhp as a universal solution to... well, everything. Is this your company; do you work for them?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 11:50 PM   #129
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
Perhaps it's possible to code that limit - especially if it is a configuration value somewhere.
The limit is imposed through the transmission so TCU, not ECU. Current state of the art coding suggests TCU can't be coded.

From an engineering standpoint, I wouldn't expose it. This is more like a TPM measurement than a simple counter to my mind. They're trying to protect the integrity of their product—I wouldn't expose that as a KVP in Windows' registry... which to me is akin to what we somewhat blindly mess with through coding.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 01:29 AM   #130
Neptune7
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune7 View Post
The limit is imposed through the transmission so TCU, not ECU. Current state of the art coding suggests TCU can't be coded.

From an engineering standpoint, I wouldn't expose it. This is more like a TPM measurement than a simple counter to my mind. They're trying to protect the integrity of their product—I wouldn't expose that as a KVP in Windows' registry... which to me is akin to what we somewhat blindly mess with through coding.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it?
Fair point. For ppl interested in tweaking their cars, I'm sure the limit may be tempting to fiddle with - BMW probably set it conservatively anyway. I get the point of protecting the car - even Porsches can't defy wear and tear - but the real limit may be higher than the enforced one.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 06:49 AM   #131
Mcc420
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 g80x  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
What is xhp?

// edit: I've just dug a little into xhp and it seems that's a company/business that does something BMW-related. Two questions:
1. What is it they do?
2. Many of your posts seem to include xhp as a universal solution to... well, everything. Is this your company; do you work for them?
No I don't work for them lol. Xhp is a tcu tuning company that I've been in contact with trying to come up with a solution for the lc issues. You can message them on fb messenger. I know of two other companies that tune tcu's (evolve, bpm) but they don't seem to address the lc issues. And I'm not saying xhp is the total solution but they seem to be doing more than the rest. Where you the end user can customize their own tcu settings. I personally haven't tried them yet since it's -20 where I live . But intend to once it warms up and I put my summers back on.

F90 Comp, Hcp custom e40 meth, 9.76@143, 174ml/h 1/2ml 60-130 5.53

F10 M5, HCP Tune ,BM3, 10:8@137, 166.05 1/2ml.
Ig @mcc420
Appreciate 1
limeypride4429.00
      03-06-2021, 08:40 AM   #132
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What is xhp?

1. What is it they do?
No I don't work for them lol. Xhp is a tcu tuning company that I've been in contact with trying to come up with a solution for the lc issues. You can message them on fb messenger. I know of two other companies that tune tcu's (evolve, bpm) but they don't seem to address the lc issues. And I'm not saying xhp is the total solution but they seem to be doing more than the rest. Where you the end user can customize their own tcu settings. I personally haven't tried them yet since it's -20 where I live . But intend to once it warms up and I put my summers back on.
Sadly, the later model's TCUs have yet to be cracked by anyone afaik.
Appreciate 0