THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning NEW RELEASE: Free Flow Exhaust / Mid-Pipe (F22 M240i)

05-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #111
Jim240
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
Glad you got it!

Do you notice a rattle/raspy tiny noise while it is warming up? And it goes away after driving a few minutes?
Aside from it being pretty loud when starting cold, I don't notice any rattle/raspy sound. Might be something loose - I'd check around your tips and make sure the new midpipe isn't contacting anything.
      05-15-2017, 04:25 PM   #112
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim240 View Post
Quote:
Glad you got it!

Do you notice a rattle/raspy tiny noise while it is warming up? And it goes away after driving a few minutes?
Aside from it being pretty loud when starting cold, I don't notice any rattle/raspy sound. Might be something loose - I'd check around your tips and make sure the new midpipe isn't contacting anything.
Damm I ordered the mid pipe and now worried it might be too loud on start as you said... wife already thinks car is too loud on cold start. Guess I will be parking on the street lol
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:13 PM   #113
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim240 View Post
So i checked around everywhere - they is nothing loose. The only thing I can see that the mid pipe can contact with vibration is the brace in the middle of the car. That might be it but I cant get there or make sure without putting the on a lift.

Overall, after a few days I will give it a A- bc of rattling noise until car is warmed up. Gonna have to investigate more. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 1
kohlzor47.50
      05-17-2017, 06:56 AM   #114
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
So i checked around everywhere - they is nothing loose. The only thing I can see that the mid pipe can contact with vibration is the brace in the middle of the car. That might be it but I cant get there or make sure without putting the on a lift.

Overall, after a few days I will give it a A- bc of rattling noise until car is warmed up. Gonna have to investigate more. Stay tuned.
A few people have had this rattle when cold with even a full stock setup. I did too, but once I changed to AWE it went away. Some say its the valve being slightly loose.
      05-17-2017, 04:51 PM   #115
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Quote:

A few people have had this rattle when cold with even a full stock setup. I did too, but once I changed to AWE it went away. Some say its the valve being slightly loose.
Thanks for the info!

Any way to remedy it? Once the car warms up it goes away.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #116
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
...Any way to remedy it? Once the car warms up it goes away.
You could try unplugging the valve after warm up, which supposedly leaves it open, let the car cool down, check to see if it's open, start the car, check again and listen.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #117
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post
Quote:
...Any way to remedy it? Once the car warms up it goes away.
You could try unplugging the valve after warm up, which supposedly leaves it open, let the car cool down, check to see if it's open, start the car, check again and listen.
It's already open

First mod I did when I got the car.

I just don't understand why it only happens when the car is cold. Once it's warmed up it's a dream.

What's the difference in cars from cold/warm?Does the car vibrate more? Do things expand/contract?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #118
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's already open

I just don't understand why it only happens when the car is cold. Once it's warmed up it's a dream.

What's the difference in cars from cold/warm?Does the car vibrate more? Do things expand/contract?
Yes, things expand when they warm up. So, something must be expanding enough to stop the noise.
You could try plugging in the valve again. As I understand it, the idea of that valve is that it restricts exhaust flow on cold start to heat up the cat quicker. Maybe that would help and wouldn't hurt to try.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #119
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's already open

Yes, things expand when they warm up. So, something must be expanding enough to stop the noise.
You could try plugging in the valve again. As I understand it, the idea of that valve is that it restricts exhaust flow on cold start to heat up the cat quicker. Maybe that would help and wouldn't hurt to try.
I tried and no dice :/

Gonna get it back on the lift and see if there is anything loose.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #120
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I tried and no dice :/

Gonna get it back on the lift and see if there is anything loose.
Oh well. It was a thought.
Yeah, if you can't find anything obviously loose, you'll have to let it cool down and then try to reproduce it while on the lift.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #121
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Well it's finally installed and you guys were on point, it sounds Amazing.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

I dont have any rattling on cold start.

Last edited by kohlzor; 05-23-2017 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Pictures not showing up
Appreciate 3
AlexM240i103.00
fbsm744.00
      05-23-2017, 05:59 PM   #122
AlexM240i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Nice install. No saggy tips.
Appreciate 1
kohlzor47.50
      05-24-2017, 06:27 AM   #123
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Nice clean install. Looks great!
I'll get mine installed one of these days...
Appreciate 1
kohlzor47.50
      05-24-2017, 08:08 PM   #124
havinfun
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

To summarize, it seems like a number of f22/f23 owners are getting more aggressive/satisfying exhaust sound by installing just the Dinan mid pipe (this thread) or doing just a resonator delete ("Deleted both resonators (video and pics)" thread). The Dinan mid pipe solution apparently is reversable (no welding needed) but costs $500 plus shipping plus tax plus installation labor. The resonator delete requires cutting and custom made/welded inserts but only costs $100 - $200 depending on whether one or both resonators are deleted, and the hourly rates for the muffler shop. Also, reversing the changes would take more custom work/welding. Neither solution apparently offers noticable performance gains althought the Dinan mid pipe might look prettier and reduce weight slightly.

Also, no one has reported on trying to halve the resonator delete cost (to maybe $100) by only deleting the front-most resonator. It was reported that just deleting the rear resonator had no noticable sound improvement.

Have I got this all right? Are there other advantages to the Dinan mid pipe?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:56 AM   #125
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
To summarize, it seems like a number of f22/f23 owners are getting more aggressive/satisfying exhaust sound by installing just the Dinan mid pipe (this thread) or doing just a resonator delete ("Deleted both resonators (video and pics)" thread). The Dinan mid pipe solution apparently is reversable (no welding needed) but costs $500 plus shipping plus tax plus installation labor. The resonator delete requires cutting and custom made/welded inserts but only costs $100 - $200 depending on whether one or both resonators are deleted, and the hourly rates for the muffler shop. Also, reversing the changes would take more custom work/welding. Neither solution apparently offers noticable performance gains althought the Dinan mid pipe might look prettier and reduce weight slightly.

Also, no one has reported on trying to halve the resonator delete cost (to maybe $100) by only deleting the front-most resonator. It was reported that just deleting the rear resonator had no noticable sound improvement.

Have I got this all right? Are there other advantages to the Dinan mid pipe?
You got it right. No other advantages.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #126
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by havinfun View Post
The Dinan mid pipe solution apparently is reversable (no welding needed) but costs $500 plus shipping plus tax plus installation labor.
No tax on Dinan midpipe unless you live in Cali ($56 in shipping to ATL to give you an idea on that).
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #127
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
No tax on Dinan midpipe unless you live in Cali ($56 in shipping to ATL to give you an idea on that).
And, they'll give you free shipping if you ask.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #128
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
And, they'll give you free shipping if you ask.
Well, shit!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 02:45 PM   #129
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Got the Dinan midpipe installed this morning. Love it! No issue with saggy pipes or rattles. The installer recommended welding the midpipe to the muffler input to avoid leaks, so I went with that. Awesome sound in comfort through Sport+. I'll be driving with the windows down for awhile now!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 2
      05-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #130
Vyruz Reaper
Reverse Homer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
Got the Dinan midpipe installed this morning. Love it! No issue with saggy pipes or rattles. The installer recommended welding the midpipe to the muffler input to avoid leaks, so I went with that. Awesome sound in comfort through Sport+. I'll be driving with the windows down for awhile now!
Awesome! Hopefully i get my startup rattles figured out when I get back from my biz trip
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2017, 04:59 PM   #131
Stayreal
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Has anyone have issue with the Dinan full catback? I just installed mine and it seems like there no way to move the exhaust anymore, therefore the midpipe is super close to the cross membrane and it would hit it when I drive around bumpy roads. Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #132
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayreal View Post
Has anyone have issue with the Dinan full catback? I just installed mine and it seems like there no way to move the exhaust anymore, therefore the midpipe is super close to the cross membrane and it would hit it when I drive around bumpy roads. Any idea?
As long as you have an 1/8" or so of clearance on the cross brace when the system is cold you should be fine. The pipe will grow up and out when the system is heated so its at its lowest point when cold.
Appreciate 1