BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    I get put in my place because of my brake squeal…LOL

05-20-2022, 12:16 PM   #111
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Just had a friend tell me last week that he moved to those from sport cups and was never going back!
The Hoosier's are AWESOME....until it rains. The big downside is the price. For the price, and performance, the Toyo RR's are 95% as sticky, and last longer. They have become more popular, and as a result have come up in price.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
      05-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #112
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Love that you pop the track set in the back seat. You are THE MAN.
Thank you sir for the thoughts. Once I had a sedan that I could put the track tires in the back (first was a 2003 Lancer EVO VIII), I've never wanted a car that I couldn't carry the track tires. My 2009 GT-R was an exception, but that car in 2009 pulled laps on STREET TIRES that obliterated Porsches, and drove to and from the track with the AC nice and comfy. But, that car stayed static, and when the F90 came along in 2018 with proper OEM brake ducting, I never looked back. My 2018 turned many a lap, but I could never get a proper set of restraints in it or a harness bar. The CS front seats are 9000% better than the normal F90 seats for track (although Bimmerworld STILL can't put together a good set of restraints for me YET).

I'm sorry for all your brake trouble. It actually seems that by making me happy with their brakes on the F90 they have made cosmetic (noise) problems for you. If Pagid would put the Rs29 compound on the BMW pad, it would probably solve the problem (but I don't know).

Pagid will never likely make a pad for the F90 because they make the OEM pads. (probably contractual).

Another option would be to contact CarboTech and see if they could make a custom pad for you. If you can give them a set with a backing plate, they can make just about anything. I was happy with RacingBrake compounds myself, but that may just be me.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #113
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Just had a friend tell me last week that he moved to those from sport cups and was never going back!
The Hoosier's are AWESOME....until it rains. The big downside is the price. For the price, and performance, the Toyo RR's are 95% as sticky, and last longer. They have become more popular, and as a result have come up in price.

Shawn
Are your Hoosier the R7s?
      05-20-2022, 11:01 PM   #114
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Love that you pop the track set in the back seat. You are THE MAN.
Thank you sir for the thoughts. Once I had a sedan that I could put the track tires in the back (first was a 2003 Lancer EVO VIII), I've never wanted a car that I couldn't carry the track tires. My 2009 GT-R was an exception, but that car in 2009 pulled laps on STREET TIRES that obliterated Porsches, and drove to and from the track with the AC nice and comfy. But, that car stayed static, and when the F90 came along in 2018 with proper OEM brake ducting, I never looked back. My 2018 turned many a lap, but I could never get a proper set of restraints in it or a harness bar. The CS front seats are 9000% better than the normal F90 seats for track (although Bimmerworld STILL can't put together a good set of restraints for me YET).

I'm sorry for all your brake trouble. It actually seems that by making me happy with their brakes on the F90 they have made cosmetic (noise) problems for you. If Pagid would put the Rs29 compound on the BMW pad, it would probably solve the problem (but I don't know).

Pagid will never likely make a pad for the F90 because they make the OEM pads. (probably contractual).

Another option would be to contact CarboTech and see if they could make a custom pad for you. If you can give them a set with a backing plate, they can make just about anything. I was happy with RacingBrake compounds myself, but that may just be me.

Shawn
There is nothing cooler than throwing your track tires in the back seat if you ask me.

I was thinking about what you were doing for restraints when I saw the picture you posted a few days ago.

While the brakes have been very annoying, it wasn't enough to stop me from ordering another F90. I'm also excited to be going to the LCI, albeit not a CS like yours! If my car was doing track duty like yours, I would have gone with a CS as well. I fully appreciate that you actually track the car and think the CS is perfect for true trackability, while still maintaining civility as a road car on the way to the track and back.

I have used Pagid pads on another car, and they were some of the best brakes I have encountered. To be honest, I did not know they manufactured the OE pads. This is the reason I love the forum and it's knowledgeable members. I learn something new every day!

I wish I could come across one solution that most people said with uniformity that were quiet without losing the braking capability of the OEM (compound) setup. While I've heard mixed reviews of RacingBrake, I have not checked out Carbotech. Thanks for teaching me not one, but two things, in one post!

I appreciate all the advice from someone with your level of experience!
      05-21-2022, 02:08 AM   #115
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
...I wish I could come across one solution that most people said with uniformity that were quiet without losing the braking capability of the OEM (compound) setup...

Anyone know if this is an option with out changing out the calipers and other hardware?

While still expensive, if it's a matter of swapping just pads and rotors to a carbon ceramic version this could be a decent option?

Ive never seen just swapping rotors to CC, with CC specific pads. But the website states "iron upgrade or CCB replacement"

Am I to understand correctly, I could simply buy these as a direct swap for the oem steel and keep my calipers and hardware the same with out a big scale install requiring a lot more money ?

https://racingbrake.com/f90-2018-1/
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 05:26 AM   #116
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
Anyone know if this is an option with out changing out the calipers and other hardware?

While still expensive, if it's a matter of swapping just pads and rotors to a carbon ceramic version this could be a decent option?

Ive never seen just swapping rotors to CC, with CC specific pads. But the website states "iron upgrade or CCB replacement"

Am I to understand correctly, I could simply buy these as a direct swap for the oem steel and keep my calipers and hardware the same with out a big scale install requiring a lot more money ?

https://racingbrake.com/f90-2018-1/
Not sure how to put this... but that's literally the same price the bmw kit is that comes with the brake booster and master cylinder and calipers... thats only like an extra couple hours of labor to install so not really much more involved than swapping rotors.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #117
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Oh my god why is the thread still going? Just buy the f'ing porterfield or ebc and call it a day, or don't buy a M5 at all! There are a ton of other good cars that don't squeak. There are always good and bad things about every car on the market. You can buy a 400k super car and you can find things you don't like. Nothing in life is perfect - get used to it!
      05-21-2022, 12:49 PM   #118
asif163
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '19 M5C, '23 X7 LCI

I hate the squeal on the CCBs I have now and didn't realize non-CCB pre-LCIs had brake squeal also. Contemplating ordering a another M5C since my current lease is over in September and was going to order sans-CCBs. Are the new non-CCB LCI brakes squeal-prone?!? If so, I suppose I'll just go with the brake pad solution as mentioned in this thread. Hilarious story OP!

Retired: 2011 E90 ZCP M3, 2014 Range Rover Sport, 2006 Audi S4 V8, 2011 E92 ZCP M3, 2011 BMW X3, 2009 Infiniti G37S Coupe, 2006 Audi A4 S-Line 2.0T, 2008 E92 335i, 2005.5 Audi S4 V8, 1990 E30 325is
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #119
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
Oh my god why is the thread still going? Just buy the f'ing porterfield or ebc and call it a day, or don't buy a M5 at all! There are a ton of other good cars that don't squeak. There are always good and bad things about every car on the market. You can buy a 400k super car and you can find things you don't like. Nothing in life is perfect - get used to it!

Because it's been said by multiple people who've tried some of those thats not a fix either, maybe temporarily. But it returns.

The thread still going because of comments like this and a few others. Continuing to offer solutions that aren't actual solutions, then get mad at a thread trying to figure out a fix.

How about we use the collective information from a lot of people to find a viable fix.

Just wondering though... the brake squeal doesn't bother at all, but the threads with people trying to find an actual fix bout squeaky brakes does bother you?

Why not just ignore the thread like you do with the squeaky brakes? Seems like a very simple solution to your irritation about the thread.

Youre 100% right, nothing in life is perfect. Including threads on Bimmerpost. So the ones that irritate you? Go ahead and move along, and ignore. Simple really.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 05-21-2022 at 04:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      05-21-2022, 03:37 PM   #120
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asif163 View Post
I hate the squeal on the CCBs I have now and didn't realize non-CCB pre-LCIs had brake squeal also. Contemplating ordering a another M5C since my current lease is over in September and was going to order sans-CCBs. Are the new non-CCB LCI brakes squeal-prone?!? If so, I suppose I'll just go with the brake pad solution as mentioned in this thread. Hilarious story OP!
To my knowledge it isn't pre-lci only. It's all, including f10 M5s.

And the CCB are better than the steel in terms of noise, and stopping power.

The only issue with the aftermarket pads, is they dont seem to work either. At least thats what a few folks on here have mentioned. I dont know, Ive only had OEM.

Last edited by jnotrom711; 05-21-2022 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #121
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Not sure how to put this... but that's literally the same price the bmw kit is that comes with the brake booster and master cylinder and calipers... thats only like an extra couple hours of labor to install so not really much more involved than swapping rotors.

Well I'm very happy you were about to figure out "how to put it"..... (and you figured it out relatively quickly apparently, quite impressive)...

Everything i've seen is quite a bit more $ than this aftermarket CC pad and rotors option. (if it is indeed an option).

With that said.

The question I asked was if it was a straight swap to get these rotors, pads, and keep the OEM steel calipers, not have to swap master cylinder, other brake components, coding, etc. Quite a bit easier to just put rotors and pads on.

So it appears:
1)you don't know the answer to the question.
or 2) you just wanted to impress everyone with your knowledge, which is lovely. However you failed at answering the question.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #122
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Go to :40 or so watch the video literally the car comes to a stop SQUEEKING and they say let's tell you about our brakes so this do es nt worry you... by permanent they're talking about if the car at all speeds all braking conditions makes a noise not you coming to a slow stop and squeaking. That's a temporary noise since it doesn't squeek under hard braking at higher speeds.

Had a feeling you would be triggered by the video... worked like a charm.... I was going to not reply to your nonsense comment, but im inclined now.

Anyway ....
1) thats not the noise my brakes make at 0:40, not even close. Mine is much louder, and a squeal, howl, scrape noise. Not a groan.

2) I'm glad you're able to decipher what the engineer actually meant by permanent. Only issue is, how would I know it doesn't make noise at higher speed? I cant hear it, because of wind, road , or exhaust noise? Doesn't mean it doesn't make noise. But he clearly states its normal when the car has just been driving in wet conditions, or after a car wash. If it happens after that its an issue. Permanent would allude to it always happening. Meaning, it doesn't go away after a few minutes, or miles (assuming the same conditions, or other changes to the brakes environment) So he doesn't mean all conditions or all the time, all speeds. They're specifically referring to when the car is coming to a stop after the brakes have been wet. Which is why theres a clip of an m5 driving around a wet skid pad shortly before that.

3) I think youre confusing the word permanent with the word constant. My brakes don't constantly make noise. Like right now, the car is parked, you're right, no noise. However the squeal in question is with out a doubt permanent. Meaning, it cant be fixed or removed. It's there every time assuming the same conditions. If I slam on the brakes and send people through the windshield, ya maybe it's not there, but no one drives like that, except you. (and reality is you don't either, we've been through this before)

4) So yes, its temporary. good job. When the car stops, or if im not applying the brakes, its not there.

But thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

"my wheels shake at 80mph, something is wrong" ... with your logic the answer would be, "dont worry about wheels shaking, its temporary. It stops under 80 right?, or when the car is not moving? Good, then just enjoy your M5, or buy a Subaru, because m5 wheels shake, deal with it"

Genius! I never even thought about it until you told me. Thats the fix for the squeal! Just dont drive, or use the brakes, problem solved,
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #123
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well I'm very happy you were about to figure out "how to put it"..... (and you figured it out relatively quickly apparently, quite impressive)...

Everything i've seen is quite a bit more $ than this aftermarket CC pad and rotors option. (if it is indeed an option).

With that said.

The question I asked was if it was a straight swap to get these rotors, pads, and keep the OEM steel calipers, not have to swap master cylinder, other brake components, coding, etc. Quite a bit easier to just put rotors and pads on.

So it appears:
1)you don't know the answer to the question.
or 2) you just wanted to impress everyone with your knowledge, which is lovely. However you failed at answering the question.
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D
Whole kit for the price of your rotors you inquired about....
To answer your question yes technically you could, how well they work I can't tell you, they say they include shims for the caliper if you need them which I'm guessing you would since you're going to a bigger rotor size. As long as your front originally are 394 from what it says in description.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #124
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Quote:

Because it's been said by multiple people who've tried some of those thats not a fix either, maybe temporarily. But it returns.

The thread still going because of comments like this and a few others. Continuing to offer solutions that aren't actual solutions, then get mad at a thread trying to figure out a fix.

How about we use the collective information from a lot of people to find a viable fix.

Just wondering though... the brake squeal doesn't bother at all, but the threads with people trying to find an actual fix bout squeaky brakes does bother you?

Why not just ignore the thread like you do with the squeaky brakes? Seems like a very simple solution to your irritation about the thread.
Not sure what you are talking about. The squeal annoyed me so I changed to porterfield pads, and the squeal is gone. It's been about 10,000 miles since the pads were changed.

The squeal is very annoying. If it bothers you enough and you don't trust that any aftermarket pads can fix it, then don't buy the car, period. It's that simple.
      05-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #125
micvite
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Had a feeling you would be triggered by the video... worked like a charm.... I was going to not reply to your nonsense comment, but im inclined now.

Anyway ....
1) thats not the noise my brakes make at 0:40, not even close. Mine is much louder, and a squeal, howl, scrape noise. Not a groan.

2) I'm glad you're able to decipher what the engineer actually meant by permanent. Only issue is, how would I know it doesn't make noise at higher speed? I cant hear it, because of wind, road , or exhaust noise? Doesn't mean it doesn't make noise. But he clearly states its normal when the car has just been driving in wet conditions, or after a car wash. If it happens after that its an issue. Permanent would allude to it always happening. Meaning, it doesn't go away after a few minutes, or miles (assuming the same conditions, or other changes to the brakes environment) So he doesn't mean all conditions or all the time, all speeds. They're specifically referring to when the car is coming to a stop after the brakes have been wet. Which is why theres a clip of an m5 driving around a wet skid pad shortly before that.

3) I think youre confusing the word permanent with the word constant. My brakes don't constantly make noise. Like right now, the car is parked, you're right, no noise. However the squeal in question is with out a doubt permanent. Meaning, it cant be fixed or removed. It's there every time assuming the same conditions. If I slam on the brakes and send people through the windshield, ya maybe it's not there, but no one drives like that, except you. (and [...]
I'm just not gonna bother anymore... I never said anything about your brakes constantly making noise, permanent means any time you apply brakes they make noise. But whatever this horse is dead and beaten well into the ground, I'm gonna just say this: there's a reason some of us don't have noise while you "geniuses" do and that's that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:28 PM   #126
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
Not sure what you are talking about. The squeal annoyed me so I changed to porterfield pads, and the squeal is gone. It's been about 10,000 miles since the pads were changed.

The squeal is very annoying. If it bothers you enough and you don't trust that any aftermarket pads can fix it, then don't buy the car, period. It's that simple.
Thats fine, Ive heard others that do still have the squeal even with aftermarket pads. thats all I was saying.

And i've said many times, I love the car, everything about it. I even love the brakes, I think they're great for steel, obviously the CCB I wish I would have got. which I also said. The only thing irritating is the squeal.

I agree with you, there is things to not like about every car. and everything in life for that matter. Some of those things are easily fix. Some are not. the brake squeal in my opinion should be a pretty easy thing to change or fix. Something like the seats being uncomfortable, or the car having shitty gas mileage are things not easily fixed. In my opinion the brake squeal should be an easy fix BY BMW, but they wont fix it, thats where the irritation comes from. It's a flaw, not a "characteristic of all m5s" because not all M5s have the issue. Things like the seats and gas mileage are not fixable and have to deal with. (well not easy or cheap fix in my opinion)

Last edited by jnotrom711; 05-21-2022 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:35 PM   #127
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm just not gonna bother anymore... I never said anything about your brakes constantly making noise, permanent means any time you apply brakes they make noise. But whatever this horse is dead and beaten well into the ground, I'm gonna just say this: there's a reason some of us don't have noise while you "geniuses" do and that's that.
Thank you for not bothering. Then bothering with the thing you said you wouldn't bother with....

I'm glad you don't have noise.

You say theres a reason.... Whats the reason?

I would say in your case, its because the car is still new, but maybe you will be one of the lucky ones....

You will say its because you know how to drive and I don't.

While others will say the squeak is there if you mash the brakes or not. And others will say they baby the car, and don't mash on it, and they dont have the squeal.

So whats the reason? Both sides of 2 coins, and there is nothing consistent. Which makes it nearly impossible to diagnose and fix.

Some are lucky and dont squeal. Some aren't so lucky. But it would be sweet to have BMW stand up and fix it. Since we can all agree some squeal and some dont. There's clearly an inherent difference as to why one does and doesnt. Thats all i'm looking for. What can I do (now) to make it stop, other than buy aftermarket pads, that some have said work, some dont. Again, inconsistent, so I dont view that as a viable fix. Its a gamble if it'll work or not.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #128
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
Quote:
https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...b3J5IFBhZ2U%3D
Whole kit for the price of your rotors you inquired about....
To answer your question yes technically you could, how well they work I can't tell you, they say they include shims for the caliper if you need them which I'm guessing you would since you're going to a bigger rotor size. As long as your front originally are 394 from what it says in description.
Thank you, finally a coherent intelligent comment in regard to a specific question I asked. Wasn't so hard was it? I feel like were making progress now. Slow, but we are making progress :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2022, 04:47 PM   #129
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The point of the thread was not to complain about break squeal, or even to seek brake squeal solutions, even though that's where it inevitably went (and I thank everyone for their help and input!) It was to tell a funny story about something that happened to me that at least dozens, perhaps hundreds, of people complain about in regards to M5 ownership on the forum. That's why I didn't just post it to my brake thread. Admittedly there are other good cars that don't squeak, I've got a few. But you know what? None of them are as good of a DD as my M5. That's why I got another one, despite the brake squeal, and fully knowing it's likely to happen again!
      05-21-2022, 04:49 PM   #130
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asif163 View Post
Thank you! Nobody in my car circle heard the story without cracking up. In fact, I still laugh out loud every time I think about her dangling out the window.
      05-21-2022, 04:55 PM   #131
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Youre 100% right, nothing in life is perfect. Including threads on Bimmerpost. So the ones that irritate you? Go ahead and move along, and ignore. Simple really.
I think we're making the same point on this — there is no universal solution that works for everyone with this issue. Some get lucky either by going with one particular brand or another, just like some are lucky to not have squealing brakes on their cars at all, while some of us sound like a 30 year old school bus. Not hating on 30 year old school buses. But my 6 figure new car shouldn't sound like one, regardless of the offered justifications. Especially when my other comparable cars don't, whether equipped with compounds or CCBs.
      05-22-2022, 01:26 PM   #132
Ropes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 CS

I have CCBs on my M5 so not totally apples to apples but on my M4 I installed EBC yellow stuff and they perform quite nicely and have only made the occasional peep. Quieter than OEM and better brake codes than the OEM M4 pads. The friction codes are GG. This may be something to look into.
Appreciate 1