Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Latest software version

03-03-2024, 05:05 AM   #859
Fox530
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i xDrive

I thought it would be helpful to outline my experience with software updates since I got the car, as I think I've experienced every single issue people complain about.

I got the car a year or so ago and it was still on 2021 software and claimed there was no newer software update available. In June I had the dealer update the software to the latest version which they did under warranty for me.

This time around I did get the notification that the software update was available and the car downloaded it. Initially, it sat for a few days saying it was waiting for the right conditions. After a 100 mile round trip, the update installed fine.
      03-06-2024, 04:30 AM   #860
Raftery93
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330e

Hi all.

Recently bought a 200 330e (last month).

Have tried to update the software, but it appears nothing is happening?

The App states “New Remote Software Upgrade”, and doesn’t seem to go away.

When I follow the notification, it states “Follow instructions in your BMW”, but no “instructions” appear?

Anyone seen this before / no what to do?

Software version to update to is 03/2023.50
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:53 AM   #861
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftery93 View Post
When I follow the notification, it states “Follow instructions in your BMW”, but no “instructions” appear?
Try going to the software update option in iDrive and see if that shows the instructions
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:51 PM   #862
Raftery93
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnlyssg View Post
Try going to the software update option in iDrive and see if that shows the instructions
Tried that, still no luck
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 12:59 PM   #863
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

That means it’s been transferred to the car OK. It’s just waiting for your battery to be charged enough to install it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 02:30 PM   #864
Raftery93
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
That means it’s been transferred to the car OK. It’s just waiting for your battery to be charged enough to install it.
Any idea when it’s “charged enough” ? Have often charged it to 100% but still nothing.

Actually have a question on that - would it degrade the battery if I have it charged to 100% most the time, or should I only charge it to, say, 80%?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:46 PM   #865
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

It’s the 12V battery that needs to be well charged, not the hybrid one.

On the latter there’s a good warranty, so I don’t worry about charging to 100%.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:39 PM   #866
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:

That's interesting Paul. So even for the 330e, it's the 12v battery that needs to be up to a certain charge rate (whetever that is, 65% plus, maybe) before the car will take the update.

I obvioulsy don't have a 330e, but I take it (perhaps very) a long run is required to get the 12v battery up to the required SoC on the 330e?

I'm glad a bought that CTek 25A charger for my 340i MHT, I do have other uses for it, thankfully, as a PSU, but it was not a cheap investment at Ł290 if I was only using it to carry out ID7 updates, but it has proved usefull so far.

There is no way I'd be willing to part with Ł250 or there abouts to have a main dealer carry out an update by simply plugging the car into ISTA and forcing the update. that's daylight robbery IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:50 PM   #867
Raftery93
Ireland
Rep

Quote:

Cheers for that. Any idea how to check what sort of charge is in the 12V battery?
Crazy long check list for a simple update, if you ask me

Ya, the warranty is nice to have.. until it runs out
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:39 PM   #868
lnlyssg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

BimmerLink can give a reading but it may not always be 109% accurate, I think there was a recent thread on that topic…
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 01:17 AM   #869
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I find my 330e is usually good at keeping the 12V battery topped up so the updates install pretty much instantly. But others have reported different - I wonder whether they don’t plug in? I know some PHEV owners don’t, and just treat the car as a self charging hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 10:06 AM   #870
fooey
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

I'm another that has had problems with car not being ready to install the update even though it transfers fine from phone to car.

I also have tried used battery tenders to no luck as car isn't used that frequently.

I thought it could have been the battery needing replacement, since car doesn't get driven much, and the battery was a few years old, so swapped out for a new battery.

Registered it using OBDeleven app+dongle, but still no luck - even after using a battery tender to ensure it was fully charged.

Then tried reading codes using ISTA and discovered the 038400 code that blocks the software upgrade. Even clearing with ISTA, this code keeps coming back.

Then I checked the battery registration, and it hadn't noted the km when battery was changed so thought perhaps battery registration using OBDeleven wasn't done properly.

I registered battery replacement with ISTA, shutdown the car, and next time I got in the car, update was ready to install!

Therefore, seems like doing a battery replacement resets the IBS which may have been providing wrong values to the DME ultimately stopping the car from installing??

I've now been stuck for almost a month again with the 11/2023 update not ready to install even after using a battery tender just in case.

I wonder if I should try a battery replacement in ISTA again to see if this allows the car to install? The only downside I can see is that it gets registered to the car like the battery has been changed again.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2024, 12:51 PM   #871
PC101
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

I've had the same problems as a lot of other folk with the latest update being stuck and not installing. So yesterday I hooked the battery up to my ctek stop/start and let it do it's thing. Once the ctek went into care mode (green light) I attempted to start the install but it wouldn't. This happened around 3 times as I'd unhooked the ctek. Eventually after around 7hrs from first connecting the ctek the software was ready for install. So the battery needed 'more' than the minimum level that ctek says is care mode. I don't know how many volts this equates too but from what I can work out it needs to be more than 12.6v. I also left the ctek connected during the install.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:31 PM   #872
Brisy
Rep
Drives: 320i

Earlier in this thread I posted how I picked up a second hand 3 series which was still showing as having 2019 software on Idrive.

I ended up going to my local BMW service centre today to talk about servicing but also to ask about the option of manually upgrading my software, the service rep guy asked what was the reason I was wanting an update and I said mainly for Android Auto but also for any improvements that I am not aware of, he then went on to ask if my car was specced for Android Auto, I actually thought no older G20 was but as long as your car had apple carplay then it would appear in a future update, he went away to talk to somebody and came back saying the car can't get Android Auto.

After this he then went on to say that they only normally offer updates if there is an issue with the current software and if manual updates are carried out it sometimes causes other issues...I get that might happen but are you honestly telling me that my 2020 G20 with 2019 software has had no other updates in the past 4 years, he's either talking utter bollocks or I'm totally wrong in my thinking.

Last edited by Brisy; 03-08-2024 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 02:59 PM   #873
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC101 View Post
I've had the same problems as a lot of other folk with the latest update being stuck and not installing. So yesterday I hooked the battery up to my ctek stop/start and let it do it's thing. Once the ctek went into care mode (green light) I attempted to start the install but it wouldn't. This happened around 3 times as I'd unhooked the ctek. Eventually after around 7hrs from first connecting the ctek the software was ready for install. So the battery needed 'more' than the minimum level that ctek says is care mode. I don't know how many volts this equates too but from what I can work out it needs to be more than 12.6v. I also left the ctek connected during the install.
That was my observation with my 340i as well. CTek 25A charger reported fully charged (green light) after only around 45 mins, but in the end I had to charge the car for a further 6 hours to get the update to install. And the car had to see the "ready" state a few times before it realised the SoC had increased.

I must note though that it was rather cold up here in Scotland at the time (still is), and so my batteries were getting a bit of a beating i.e. lights, AC, heated drivers seat, heated steering wheel were all on regularly for a little while anyway, and my commute to work is only around 15 mins, sometimes less depending on the traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 03:03 PM   #874
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisy View Post
Earlier in this thread I posted how I picked up a second hand 3 series which was still showing as having 2019 software on Idrive.

I ended up going to my local BMW service centre today to talk about servicing but also to ask about the option of manually upgrading my software, the service rep guy asked what was the reason inwas wanting an update and I said mainly for Android Auto but also for any improvements that I am not aware of, he then went on to ask if my car was specced for Android Auto, I actually thought no older G20 was but as long as your car had apple carplay then it would appear in a future update, he went away to talk to somebody and came back saying the car can't get Android Auto.

After this he then went on to say that they only normally offer updates if there is an issue with the current software and if manual updates are carried out it sometimes causes other issues...I get that might happen but are you honestly telling me that my 2020 G20 with 2019 software has had no other updates in the past 4 years, he's either talking utter bollocks or I'm totally wrong in my thinking.
I have no idea TBH, but hopefully Rhino at Work or HighlandPete will chime in, they'd probably know.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:32 PM   #875
a.summers86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 MSport Pro

Quote:

I ended up going to my local BMW service centre today to talk about servicing but also to ask about the option of manually upgrading my software, the service rep guy asked what was the reason I was wanting an update and I said mainly for Android Auto but also for any improvements that I am not aware of, he then went on to ask if my car was specced for Android Auto, I actually thought no older G20 was but as long as your car had apple carplay then it would appear in a future update, he went away to talk to somebody and came back saying the car can't get Android Auto.

They’re talking rubbish. I’ve a 2020 car and it originally came with 11.2019 software. The first update I was offered was to 07.2021. This added android auto.

Not sure if an earlier version added it but I remember it appearing when I downloaded this version.

There are loads of improvements to the driver assistance as well so I’d be pushing them to force the latest update through ISTA in the workshop.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 04:41 PM   #876
Brisy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.summers86 View Post
They’re talking rubbish. I’ve a 2020 car and it originally came with 11.2019 software. The first update I was offered was to 07.2021. This added android auto.

Not sure if an earlier version added it but I remember it appearing when I downloaded this version.

There are loads of improvements to the driver assistance as well so I’d be pushing them to force the latest update through ISTA in the workshop.
So am I right in thinking that as long as Apple Carplay shows as being available then Android Auto should be an option....there doesn't have to be anything else in the car for Android Auto to be installed?

Out of curiosity what were the driving assistance improvements for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 03:15 AM   #877
Scrupix
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport

Garage List
In case it helps anyone
I had the same issue with my 330e from 2019, here is what I did
Called to BMW to check in their system, person from BMW told me that it appears in their system that the car has the updates blocked, he told me that this can be because at some point the update did not installed right and this might happen, he suggested to go to a BMW service and check it
Went to BMW (in Netherlands) and they updated manually (unfortunately I had to pay for this around 250€)
Since then I alteady received 2 updates and installed without any problem
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 05:39 AM   #878
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
I have no idea TBH, but hopefully Rhino at Work or HighlandPete will chime in, they'd probably know.
I appreciate your confidence!

Brisy The early G20s shipped without Android Auto. You definitely need the 07/2020 software update or later to get Android Auto - this is confirmed here https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/02/01/b...compatibility/

Last edited by Rhino at Work; 03-09-2024 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 08:11 AM   #879
Brisy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
I appreciate your confidence!

Brisy The early G20s shipped without Android Auto. You definitely need the 07/2020 software update or later to get Android Auto - this is confirmed here https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/02/01/b...compatibility/
I thought that was the case, knew mine was an early G20 but could see no reason at all why the service centre guy palmed me off that I couldn't get an uodate, seems like a missed opportunity from them to fleece me for payment to get it manually updated.

I have another BMW dealership a few miles away from me that I can try, that or I hold off in the hope that an update comes through on the car or on the app, not holding my breath for that though.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2024, 03:04 PM   #880
fooey
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive

Quote:

This is an American doc but clearly states that if the I level is less than 07/2021 then the dealer is meant to update. Any update later than this is not covered

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10214254-9999.pdf
Appreciate 0