BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

02-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #67
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
best to be prepared for the unexpected. like the guy in the other thread worried about extra hooker storage space in his trunk.
I can def see the need for extra hooker space, not a bad idea. but, you're right, expect the unexpected or something like that.
      02-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #68
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Racing seats for a track only car. The "hugging" of racing seats is detrimental to your posture and should only be used when racing.

Seems like a no brainer to me unless you don't care about being hunched over and developing back problems sooner rather than later and being more susceptible to injury in average daily activities, not to mention athletic ones.

Check out my YouTube Fitness Channel if your into that
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz...XQVuG0se8cTpUQ
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #69
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
Racing seats for a track only car. The "hugging" of racing seats is detrimental to your posture and should only be used when racing.

Seems like a no brainer to me unless you don't care about being hunched over and developing back problems sooner rather than later and being more susceptible to injury in average daily activities, not to mention athletic ones.
not really looking to have any of those issues any time soon, I like doing stuff, like walking to the fridge, and getting a beer .. seriously though, neither of those sound like anything I'm looking forward to.
      02-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #70
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

There's nothing wrong with posture in a race seat, they just lack padding. Being upright and closer to the wheel is an ideal way to drive otherwise they would be developed in another way.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #71
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with posture in a race seat, they just lack padding. Being upright and closer to the wheel is an ideal way to drive otherwise they would be developed in another way.
the lack of padding makes sense, but upright sitting is typically recommended not just for driving/racing. Guessing that's where he was aiming at with the comment. Either way, it's more of a comfort thing now, it's not a dedicated track car, so seems like logical move is suspension.
      02-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #72
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
the lack of padding makes sense, but upright sitting is typically recommended not just for driving/racing. Guessing that's where he was aiming at with the comment. Either way, it's more of a comfort thing now, it's not a dedicated track car, so seems like logical move is suspension.
Agreed I wouldn't daily a race seat at all. I opted for an xl seat for little more comfort but just too and from the track isn't that much fun. For dual purpose I would go with a poseur race seat like recaro sportster or whatever that still has padding and can be reclined some.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #73
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed I wouldn't daily a race seat at all. I opted for an xl seat for little more comfort but just too and from the track isn't that much fun. For dual purpose I would go with a poseur race seat like recaro sportster or whatever that still has padding and can be reclined some.
that probably would be a better option, but the intention is to turn this into a dedicated track rat, in the near future, maybe 11 to 15 months. I don't want to spend the money twice. I can sell them afterwards, but not sure it's worth the hassle.
      02-19-2014, 01:50 PM   #74
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Here's the thing. I workout. I am SOMEWHAT muscular. The way the racing seat PUSHES my shoulders forward, PUSHES my lats forward, and doesn't fit a lean 5'10 180+ frame its BAD for your shoulder position. An ideal position is shoulder blades RETRACTED, chest out, and lats behind you. The racing seat basically spreads you apart the opposite way rounding your shoulders (some small car seats do this too!).
I am simply stating, unless you are really skinny (i.e. 5'10 < 155lbs or around that ballpark), the racing seat is going to be VERY uncomfortable.

Furthermore, if you are skinny and have below average muscle, go ahead and get a racing seat for your daily. You fit. And you probably already have back problems from being frail and weak. (not attacking you personally, just speaking in generalities)

Quote:
Upright is cool. Im just stating when I sat in a racing seat I Felt like someone was behind me pressing on my delts. Now, when trying to stand with good posture and develop a strong posterior chain (hamstring, gluts, lats, back, posterior delts) this seemed immensely counter productive and like another LIFESTYLE AND ENVIRONMENTAL burden that is 100% unavoidable.

Quote:

I agree. A seat that can fit you back WIDTH is needed. I re-iterate, unless you are a scrawny person and clinically below average weight, you are more than likely doing yourself a disservice health wise

Check out my YouTube Fitness Channel if your into that
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz...XQVuG0se8cTpUQ
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #75
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that probably would be a better option, but the intention is to turn this into a dedicated track rat, in the near future, maybe 11 to 15 months. I don't want to spend the money twice. I can sell them afterwards, but not sure it's worth the hassle.
I may do it twice, thinking of putting in recaro pro with the halo which I thought might get me in trouble if I tried using it on the street. Good plan not redoing things costs so much more that way!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #76
s4one
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3

Quote:
I may do it twice, thinking of putting in recaro pro with the halo which I thought might get me in trouble if I tried using it on the street. Good plan not redoing things costs so much more that way!
I installed c/o maybe a month+ ago and just installed recaros two days ago and i would say get c/o first if you daily drive it. I cant even imagine driving with a track seat for day to day, its annoying getting in and out of the seat and most likely your seat belt isnt going to function the way it suppose to.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #77
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4one View Post
I installed c/o maybe a month+ ago and just installed recaros two days ago and i would say get c/o first if you daily drive it. I cant even imagine driving with a track seat for day to day, its annoying getting in and out of the seat and most likely your seat belt isnt going to function the way it suppose to.
No seat belts. Harness.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #78
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
Here's the thing. I workout. I am SOMEWHAT muscular. The way the racing seat PUSHES my shoulders forward, PUSHES my lats forward, and doesn't fit a lean 5'10 180+ frame its BAD for your shoulder position. An ideal position is shoulder blades RETRACTED, chest out, and lats behind you. The racing seat basically spreads you apart the opposite way rounding your shoulders (some small car seats do this too!).
I am simply stating, unless you are really skinny (i.e. 5'10 < 155lbs or around that ballpark), the racing seat is going to be VERY uncomfortable.

Furthermore, if you are skinny and have below average muscle, go ahead and get a racing seat for your daily. You fit. And you probably already have back problems from being frail and weak. (not attacking you personally, just speaking in generalities)

Upright is cool. Im just stating when I sat in a racing seat I Felt like someone was behind me pressing on my delts. Now, when trying to stand with good posture and develop a strong posterior chain (hamstring, gluts, lats, back, posterior delts) this seemed immensely counter productive and like another LIFESTYLE AND ENVIRONMENTAL burden that is 100% unavoidable.

I agree. A seat that can fit you back WIDTH is needed. I re-iterate, unless you are a scrawny person and clinically below average weight, you are more than likely doing yourself a disservice health wise
You don't have to tell me I'm 205+. Seen the powerlifter thread that's mine. Ideal position for shoulders in track driving is forward but not ideal for daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #79
nkadisha
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
A suspension will immediately lead to faster lap times.

Seats will lead to faster skill development.

So it's really a choice of fast now or faster later on.
This!