BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    F90 comp almost stalling

09-23-2023, 03:22 AM   #45
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Mine's been doing it from the factory but not consistently enough where I can bring it in to replicate lol... also if you turn it on and immediately put it into gear it vibrates pretty badly (while the rpms are dropping and trying to normalize)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 09:08 AM   #46
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Mine's been doing it from the factory but not consistently enough where I can bring it in to replicate lol... also if you turn it on and immediately put it into gear it vibrates pretty badly (while the rpms are dropping and trying to normalize)
I always wait for the cold start to end before shifting into gear. I noticed when I first got the car there was a lot of weird behavior if you didn't...like when I backed out of the driveway then shift to first it would jolt. Letting the cold start waste its fuel then shifting made things smooth.

What I don't understand is when shifting from P to N sometimes the car has a jolt...how is that even possible? Or when completely stopped and setting the parking brake. Again WTF? I assume all this is related to how the torque converter works or when the car is actually "in gear" but it's weird. Of course this is my first automatic in 19 years.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 03:21 PM   #47
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsteinm View Post
I always wait for the cold start to end before shifting into gear. I noticed when I first got the car there was a lot of weird behavior if you didn't...like when I backed out of the driveway then shift to first it would jolt. Letting the cold start waste its fuel then shifting made things smooth.

What I don't understand is when shifting from P to N sometimes the car has a jolt...how is that even possible? Or when completely stopped and setting the parking brake. Again WTF? I assume all this is related to how the torque converter works or when the car is actually "in gear" but it's weird. Of course this is my first automatic in 19 years.
Well... something my 23 is doing that my 22 wasn't is if I put it in N while driving and Rev it (say to get some jaywalkers out of my way, the car lunges forward and it almost feels like the clutch is still half engaged. (Only does this while moving)
Appreciate 0