BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Jb4 burblely tune?

04-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #45
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue M5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post
Your M5 will have the ambient lighting, too, and it also looks awesome. Consider adding the LED door projectors--I love them:
Where do you get them at?
Just ask the dealer—have them rolled into the lease. They're maybe a couple of hundred bucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:24 AM   #46
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Quote:
Agreed. The AMG interior is stunning.

BMW are upping their game, though, but they're not there yet. My M8 is a step-up...and a big one... but even it's not enough to compete on that attribute alone.

Attachment 2273663

Attachment 2273673
Have to say that interior is awesome. High end finished.
Agreed.

The shifter alone is a significant upgrade. I find I use the paddles a little less because I so enjoy shifting with the aluminum and leather shift-knob—even the gate has a satisfying mechanical thunk to it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 10:48 PM   #47
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 competition

Quote:
The 2020s have an updated transmission that permits the special fast-shifting used in launch control when in something called MDM mode... sigh, BMW's are complicated aren't they! Let's try it this way:
- launch control on 19 M5s requires traction control off
-- it's brilliant and easy enough to activate
-- however, it's restricted between successive launches
--- you have to drive roughly a mile and then go again
- the 20s can also launch in M-dynamic mode (partial traction control)
-- but you have to shift manually--which is fun
-- no delays either
- 20s also have Live Cockpit and improved gesture control
-- you cannot configure the gauge cluster display
-- you can configure the head-up display--also a brilliant implementation

I've had both 19 and 20 M5s for ~30,000 miles combined and I'll take the 20 every single time. The 20 with the same tune/setup was 0.5s faster in the 1/4 and 0.28 faster in the 0-60. That may not be the MY designation but it's holding true for my M8 which now matches my 20 M5.

The 20 also comes with a fully functional (albeit a bit slow) cloud-backed voice assistant that makes navigation and other functions fully voice controlled merely by saing "Hey BMW" or a custom name.

Get the 20. If MY 19 owners tell you otherwise, do two things: ask them how many miles they've done in a 20 and if they know about the launch control... then send 'em my way for the remaining argument.
I forgot to say I read that the launch control on these cars are very unreliable. So you are saying that was the 18 and 19. The 2020 dont have that issue anymore?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:21 PM   #48
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The 2020s have an updated transmission that permits the special fast-shifting used in launch control when in something called MDM mode... sigh, BMW's are complicated aren't they! Let's try it this way:
-- no delays either

I've had both 19 and 20 M5s for ~30,000 miles combined and I'll take the 20 every single time. The 20 with the same tune/setup was 0.5s faster in the 1/4 and 0.28 faster in the 0-60. That may not be the MY designation but it's holding true for my M8 which now matches my 20 M5.

The 20 also comes with a fully functional (albeit a bit slow) cloud-backed voice assistant that makes navigation and other functions fully voice controlled merely by saing "Hey BMW" or a custom name.

Get the 20. If MY 19 owners tell you otherwise, do two things: ask them how many miles they've done in a 20 and if they know about the launch control... then send 'em my way for the remaining argument.
I forgot to say I read that the launch control on these cars are very unreliable. So you are saying that was the 18 and 19. The 2020 dont have that issue anymore?
There are scenarios where the car will refuse it but they're well understood: 1) wrong drive setup 2) engine/oil/car cold 3) not driven far enough since last launch.

I've argued with many on this so read carefully when I say it: launch control has NEVER, EVER not worked for me... not once. You'll also note I launch every day, regularly, frequently... all the time. :

PS: that's true for my '19 M5, '20 M5 and my M8. The 19 did have some oddities in its shift behavior later in its life but I never was able to validate that with anyone else so I put it down to the aforementioned oddity. Regardless, it didn't stop it launching every single time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #49
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There are scenarios where the car will refuse it but they're well understood: 1) wrong drive setup 2) engine/oil/car cold 3) not driven far enough since last launch.

I've argued with many on this so read carefully when I say it: launch control has NEVER, EVER not worked for me... not once. You'll also note I launch every day, regularly, frequently... all the time. :

PS: that's true for my '19 M5, '20 M5 and my M8. The 19 did have some oddities in its shift behavior later in its life but I never was able to validate that with anyone else so I put it down to the aforementioned oddity. Regardless, it didn't stop it launching every single time.
You have have to drive a certain distance after each time you use launch control? Man I cant wait to get this thing. Just ordered secondary catless DP last night to go with my remus catback.. so I'm done with mode. I'll do the jb4 after 1000 mile service.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #50
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Compitition

I have 19 and my LC is very consistent as long as you follow all the rules limeypride mentioned. Now getting the perfect LC is another story. I'm learning not to hold it too long and release it immediately. So Activating LC pretty consistent letting it loose somewhat inconsistent.
Appreciate 1
Blue M558.00
      04-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #51
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_m5 View Post
I have 19 and my LC is very consistent as long as you follow all the rules limeypride mentioned. Now getting the perfect LC is another story. I'm learning not to hold it too long and release it immediately. So Activating LC pretty consistent letting it loose somewhat inconsistent.
Bigger tires==et voila.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #52
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You have have to drive a certain distance after each time you use launch control? Man I cant wait to get this thing. Just ordered secondary catless DP last night to go with my remus catback.. so I'm done with mode. I'll do the jb4 after 1000 mile service.

Just a mile or so works.
Appreciate 1
Blue M558.00
      04-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #53
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Bigger tires==et voila.
100% next mod
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:04 AM   #54
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bigger tires==et voila.
100% next mod
Not Pirellis, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #55
ss_m5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bigger tires==et voila.
100% next mod
Not Pirellis, right?
No I have Michelin's now and love them. I think I'm going 35 instead of 30.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #56
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bigger tires==et voila.
100% next mod
Not Pirellis, right?
I will order mine today and will do the same. The 30s look better I think but having now experienced the 35s on the same suspension setup, the ride is substantially less jarring.
Appreciate 2
      04-06-2020, 12:09 PM   #57
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Bigger tires==et voila.
100% next mod
Not Pirellis, right?
I will order mine today and will do the same. The 30s look better I think but having now experienced the 35s on the same suspension setup, the ride is substantially less jarring.
Turns out the 30s don't have a high enough load rating for the M8 so I'm going to try an additional 3mm on the front spacers and see what that gains me.
Appreciate 1
ss_m572.50
      04-16-2020, 06:59 AM   #58
RaTeD ///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2K13 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
No as it requires injection timing changes that can't be done externally without reflashing the car. You'll have to pick between your warranty/lease return and the exhaust burbles. The good news is should you decide to do it the JB4 is fully compatible with all the flash tunes out and quite useful for logging, safety, and fine tuning.
Maybe I'm getting this confused but the car does this stock when u put it in the sport plus mode. Rev the car and it makes the pops and bangs noise which is the burple?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #59
OT-Dan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Competition

Quote:
-- no delays either

Plus better, Steering, Apple CarPlay integration, standard phone charging, and a natural active sound exhaust noise. I don’t think there’s any reason to deactivate ASD on a 2020.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #60
Slayerkillhate
Private First Class
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M8

I have M8 also, dont understand how you make LC in MDM? When I try its not activate LC in mdm, can you explain pls?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:14 PM   #61
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerkillhate View Post
I have M8 also, dont understand how you make LC in MDM? When I try its not activate LC in mdm, can you explain pls?
It's not Launch Control. It uses the same shift-pattern as Launch Control, i.e. something that I'm told is called QS3 or QuickShift 3 in these ZF transmissions. There's no visible status in the gauge cluster or anywhere else.

Without QS3, you're losing roughly 1/10th every shift. To activate this mode on '20 MY M5s nd M8s:
  • put the car in MDM
  • mash the brake to the floor (like LC)
  • mash the gas (like LC)
  • release the brake within a few seconds (like LC)
  • now for the difference: YOU have to shift; do so at ~6K RPMs

... you'll feel the car shift far more quickly & smoothly almost convulsing into the next gear. There will be no audible crack at each shift instance.
Appreciate 1
Blue M558.00
      04-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #62
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Bigger tires==et voila.
Hey brotha, hope all I good over there. I have a question. Race chips or jb4. I'm keeping the cats. Will probably never do a custom map as I'm not risking blowing this bitch lol. I do have 93 where I live. So I'm thinking either RC and be done or jb4 map 2 street and map 3 93 with boostane for the track or just to rip it on the street. I know you have both
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 11:09 PM   #63
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey brotha, hope all I good over there. I have a question. Race chips or jb4. I'm keeping the cats. Will probably never do a custom map as I'm not risking blowing this bitch lol. I do have 93 where I live. So I'm thinking either RC and be done or jb4 map 2 street and map 3 93 with boostane for the track or just to rip it on the street. I know you have both
RC (in race map 7) and JB4 map 1 are very similar--almost indistinguishable... there's nothing in it and differences flip-flop from run-to-run so if set-it-and-forget-it is the goal: take your pick. Both can be installed with only 2 TMAP connections so they're the same in that regard, too. I give the RC Black a very positive and it does compete with the JB4 on its simplest of setups and maps. I would also add that I don't know of anyone else who tested them with this parallel-install approach that I took so, to me, the data is unquestionable--they both work and I'd recommend either depending on the use case.

If you want to exploit your car's limits or try better fuel or log the car and iterate on a custom map of your own or dragrace the car against Lambos and the like... then you need the JB4... or an ECU tune or both.

For me, I love to tinker and I still am so the JB4 is my go to.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:11 AM   #64
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
RC (in race map 7) and JB4 map 1 are very similar--almost indistinguishable... there's nothing in it and differences flip-flop from run-to-run so if set-it-and-forget-it is the goal: take your pick. Both can be installed with only 2 TMAP connections so they're the same in that regard, too. I give the RC Black a very positive and it does compete with the JB4 on its simplest of setups and maps. I would also add that I don't know of anyone else who tested them with this parallel-install approach that I took so, to me, the data is unquestionable--they both work and I'd recommend either depending on the use case.

If you want to exploit your car's limits or try better fuel or log the car and iterate on a custom map of your own or dragrace the car against Lambos and the like... then you need the JB4... or an ECU tune or both.

I'll probably go with jb4. Hiw fast have you been on map2. Do you run 93 ?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #65
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'll probably go with jb4. Hiw fast have you been on map2. Do you run 93 ?
What metric?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:28 AM   #66
Blue M5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What metric?
Dont know what you mean.
Appreciate 0