BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-29-2010, 12:39 AM   #45
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Aside from the engine's first oil change when there is likely to be more particulates from the initial break-in, it may be quite possible to go 15k between oil changes without serious consiquences. This was an issue discussed early on when this forum was relatively new and BMW's oil change plan was first understood. There were a number of synthetic oil analysis reports posted. Basically, synthetic oil is capable of performing for many tens of thousands of miles so the problem is not the oil breaking down. The question is whether the engine will use/lose oil and can the filter keep the oil acceptably clean. All we basically need is for someone to run an analysis of their oil at a 15k interval to see if it's any worse than oil at a 3k interval. I'm sure BMW has done this analysis 8 ways to Sunday and isn't about to be surprised by millions of lease returns coming back with damaged engines. What we don't know is how much damage might they will be willing to risk in exchange for lower service costs? Some analysis reports would settle the issue.
I'm fine with BMW's long drain intervals, always have been.
My E46 oil changes occurred when the ECU triggered them, usually between 12-14k.
My 135i, so far, has been showing a 16k interval.

To those who think we lease owners don't car, well, that just BS.
You may think that, but what are you basing this on?
I'm a leaser and I keep my cars maintained and looking good.
It may not make sense to a person who doesn't understand a lease, or who doesn't want one, but the car is as much yours as any loan purchased vehicle that one may sell or trade in 3-4 years.

Also, there are plenty of leasers who do buy their cars after the term.
So, proper maintenance is important.

What I don't like, is that I see this as BMW altering a sales and warranty contract in the middle of the agreement.
As I said, I'm fine with long drain intervals, but I'm not so convinced on leaving oil in the crankcase for up to potentially 2 years.
I haven't read data that demonstrates that this is ok.

There is always a lot of debate on when an oil change should be done.
But, one thing that has been consistent is that most oil info sites do recommend changing the oil if it's at least a year old, due to chemistry changes that occur in the oil that can create a caustic condition in the crank case.

It seems, BMW is claiming that that may not be the case, IF a person drives over 6K miles per year. But, it may be the case if the person drives 6k miles or less per year.
Really? The cutoff is that precise?

So, if a driver drives 6.5K miles in one year, then he'll have to wait another year to get his oil changes, or when the ECU triggers a change needed condition. The issue is, is that the ECU may not trigger a need until perhaps 15k miles, which puts that oil at 2 years old.

I don't recall that BMW announced any new programming to the oil change interval algorithms, to include checking for excess moisture, or acid build up, due to age? But maybe there were? Does anyone know?
Maybe it was part of the newest software version.

It's possible that more sources will do the testing and determine that the old "at least once per year" oil change is not necessary.
But, until that happens we only have BMW's word on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #46
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
AFAIK, this low mileage oil change thing wasn't even advertised anywhere and was usually done as a "courtesy" by the dealerships. You're still getting your free oil changes and other *scheduled* maintenance, as long as your car says you need them, and that's all BMWNA ever really promised you (regardless of wheather or not we think it's often enough). Welcome to the recession, by the way, where companies are doing their best to trim excess spending and things like courtesy, non-scheduled service go out the window.

As for the recalls, when was your car built Stoutnj89? Because my car is only a month older than yours and has been recalled exactly once, for the excess B-pillar insulation. The taillight thing is only supposed to be affecting older builds. You say you've had four recalls in four months? For what?
In the US the maintenance portion of the warranty stated that the oil will be changed when the ECU mileage was triggered, which is based on sensor readings, calculations, algorithms, blah blah, etc...., OR, if a year has passed since the last oil service.

So, it was there. Also, BMW "free" maintenance is actually advertised here in the US as being something special.

This change DOES change what was promised to those of us who bought our cars with the "old" terms. This maintenance, though advertised as "free", is far from that. We all know there is no such thing as "free".
It's more like "no additional cost" maintenance, meaning we already paid for the oil changes when we bought the car in the first place. And, those paid for oil changes were to be done, per agreement, either when the ECU said to do it, OR after a year.

Thus, we are now NOT getting the oil changes as agreed to, prior to this mid-stream change.
I agreed to go with BMW's mileage or time interval. I'm not asking for BMW to give me a free oil change whenever I want one. I'm simply expecting BMW to do the oil service as was originally agreed to when the sale was made. That sale included the warranty and the included maintenance to maintain that warranty.
That is a contract in my view.
I'll maintain that view until a lawyer or judge points out where that's wrong, and that BMW can alter the conditions of the agreement.

Also, if they can alter the conditions, I would think that notice of that change should have been given to it's current customers. But, I didn't get anything.

BTW, I had my oil service done Saturday, at 10.5k miles.
I wanted it changed before the "new' agreement took place.
Interestingly, they did NOT reset my oil change mileage indicator.
It's reading 6k miles until my next oil service.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #47
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Well, if you have it in writing that they said they would do an oil change after a year (even if the ECU wasn't triggering one), well, I'm with you on that. I don't really see how they have a leg to stand on. I was only promised "free maintenance" once I return to the US and validate my warranty with BMWNA (it's currently under a European warranty, which does not include maintenance), and my understanding (confirmed by my SA) was that oil changes only occurred when the ECU said so. So I wasn't promised nor given any documentation to suggest I would receive an annual low-mileage oil change.

If I had some document in hand that said otherwise, you bet I would press the issue. It sounds like unilateral alteration of a contract in that case.
      08-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #48
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
I went for what I thought was an oil change yesterday and a BMW service women told me that the oil just needed to be toped off... Then she said it cost $10.. ??? I said I thought I had free maintenance for 4 years and the car has 9k miles... Then she said the dealer did give this for free but BMWNA told them they couldn't anymore... Well while I waited for them to look at why the sound to the I-Pod was fading in and out for no reason/ Also skipping or just playing the beginning of the song and then stopping.. The BMW sales guy who sold me the car came over to say HI... I told him what was happening.. He left and came back and said don't worry about the oil thing..($$)

I was waiting on the I-pod, The fire issue, and the oil to get done... Plus the I pod still had the same problem so I had to go back... Also they left the oil light on... I was there from 8:30AM till 5PM...

Oh ya, they didn't do the fire thing cus they didn't have the right parts...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by NewYearsBoy; 08-29-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #49
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

What is the rational for giving the free 1 yr oil change only if the mileage is <= 6000?
      11-16-2010, 06:44 AM   #50
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
What is the rational for giving the free 1 yr oil change only if the mileage is <= 6000?
I was told that the cars are designed to go up to 15,000 miles or 2 years without an oil change. If you drive more than 6,000 miles a year then you're likely to hit 15,000 miles at around the 2 year mark. If you drive less than 6,000 miles then you will miss it, so they do the oil change at the 1 year mark. Stupid.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #51
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
I was told that the cars are designed to go up to 15,000 miles or 2 years without an oil change. If you drive more than 6,000 miles a year then you're likely to hit 15,000 miles at around the 2 year mark. If you drive less than 6,000 miles then you will miss it, so they do the oil change at the 1 year mark. Stupid.
If theyre going to use that logic, why not make it 7500 miles? I mean, if you drive 6000 miles a year, wont that still leave you 3k short at the 2 yr mark? Somebody has some 'splainin' to do!
      11-16-2010, 07:38 AM   #52
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
If theyre going to use that logic, why not make it 7500 miles? I mean, if you drive 6000 miles a year, wont that still leave you 3k short at the 2 yr mark? Somebody has some 'splainin' to do!
They are obviously doing this because of the cost. They would have to do more oil changes if it was at 7000 or 7500 miles. Someone at BMW probably whipped up a spreadsheet that shows that the estimated number of cars that are driven under 6000 miles fits their desired new budget for oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #53
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absorber View Post
They are obviously doing this because of the cost. They would have to do more oil changes if it was at 7000 or 7500 miles. Someone at BMW probably whipped up a spreadsheet that shows that the estimated number of cars that are driven under 6000 miles fits their desired new budget for oil changes.
It kind of pisses me off that all of these maintenance items are put forth as whats best for the car when the truth seems to be that what they put out there is what's best only for their bottom line.. In the 'olden' days, when they actually did break in oil changes, etc, things were different. At least, if they were going to be honest, theyd tell us something like, 'these are the service items we perform at no extra charge, however, for the best health of the car, you should double on on the following services...', etc, etc, etc, rather than trying to claim the services they perform are the only ones the car needs.
      11-16-2010, 12:27 PM   #54
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The problem with oil changes is there is no easy way to know when it really needs changed. An oil analysis will tell you but it costs more than an oil change. It doesn't make a lot of sense to spend more to determine if you can avoid a service that costs less. So we guess and spend our money accordingly.

I have pretty much decided my bimmer will get it's next oil change at 10,000 miles and then at every 5,000 thereafter. If one happens to be about when BMW wants to do one, fine. If the rest are on me, it isn't worth suing BMW over. I do oil changes, with synthetic, every 5,000 miles because I am sure it is often enough and I am not bothered by the extra cost. It is also easy to remember. I'm driving about 7,500 miles a year in my bimmer.

The Performance Center also did not give me any windshield washer fluid when I took delivery there. I didn't love that either but the practical thing to do was to fill it up. The gas to get to the dealer and back would cost more than the washer fluid. I also have changed the brake fluid, rear end fluid, and transmission fluid (manual) already too. These things may not be necessary but they are on the "old school" list and I would like my bimmer to last and require as few future repairs as is possible.

Jim
      11-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #55
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Isnt the 'old school' list for brake fluid 2 yrs? Not being 2 yrs old yet, what prompted you to do this service? You must be REALLY old skool And tranny and dif fluids go longer than that .. On a mileage basis, when I had my '99 M3 back when bmw was doing a more 'proper' srvc schedule, I think tranny and dif fluids were a Service II item, meaning something like 36i to 50k miles.... Im not criticizing... Just trying to see how it fits with my own maintenance paradigm. And, not every 'old school' method is the same.. Theres more than one, apparently.
      11-16-2010, 12:47 PM   #56
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
This has been repealed by the way. I got my annual oil change on Friday with 11.5K miles.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #57
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
This has been repealed by the way. I got my annual oil change on Friday with 11.5K miles.
'Repealed' by bmw? or a change in policy by a single dealer?? Which dealer in ct did you use for the free 11.5k annual oil change?
      11-16-2010, 01:12 PM   #58
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
The same dealer that told me I had to wait until 15k about 2 months ago changed my oil. From what I understand, there was so much outcry that they changed it back to the old policy. Call your dealer to verify.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #59
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
For the average BMW driver, they will neither care nor complain about adjustments in the oil change interval...it is the well educated enthusiasts that get screwed. And there aren't enough of us to convince BMW to change their ways. It is really is a shame.
I can't imagine driving such a great car so few miles in a year. I'm already over 18,000 miles on my MY2010. Not sure what "well educated enthusiasts' means in this context - but for me, it means - get out there and enjoy the drive!
      11-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #60
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I wondered if the "free" oil change wouldn't get revised again.

I double checked the copy of the "old school" maintenance guide I got from Mike Miller earlier this year - it is the 04.10 version. He recommends annual brake fluid changes. Mine actually went a little longer than a year. Mike also recommends a change prior to each driving or track event. I did two autocrosses and changed the fluid after the second one. So I was probably doubly bad. I don't remember ever changing the fluid in other vehicles, however, so I think I may still be OK.

The rear end and transmission change are supposed to be done by the old school at 1,200 miles - after initial break in. I did not do that either but did it early still. After the initial break in change, the old school guide says every 30,000 miles. I used Red Line products which are much more readily available than BMW products in the small quantity you need.

Jim
      11-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #61
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
The same dealer that told me I had to wait until 15k about 2 months ago changed my oil. From what I understand, there was so much outcry that they changed it back to the old policy. Call your dealer to verify.
How bout a dealer name?
      11-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #62
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
BMW of Darien

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #63
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

In a turbocharged/DI engine I would be far more likely to follow a more aggressive OCI than in a port-injected NA engine. BMW of course has a marketing strategy they wish to pursue, so draw your own conclusions regarding how you want to maintain *your* car. This is just common sense stuff here.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #64
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
In a turbocharged/DI engine I would be far more likely to follow a more aggressive OCI than in a port-injected NA engine. BMW of course has a marketing strategy they wish to pursue, so draw your own conclusions regarding how you want to maintain *your* car. This is just common sense stuff here.
Not really.. the problem is, everybody has a different definition of 'common sense'.
      11-16-2010, 02:11 PM   #65
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

I did my second service visit 3 weeks ago mostly to get the scheduled brake fluid flush done as that was the only thing indicated on my computer. I also wanted to get the seatbelt retractor unit recall out of the way as well.

Then, to my surprise my SA told me that "I see it's been about a year since you got an oil change, we'll get that done for you as well." Keep in mind that I've done about 8000mi since my last free oil change so I really shouldn't have qualified under the new policy. They also changed my cabin filter, wipers, and tested out my HPFP just to be safe. Overall a very welcomed surprise in the quality of service I got this trip. Dealership is Passport BMW in MD.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #66
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
I did my second service visit 3 weeks ago mostly to get the scheduled brake fluid flush done as that was the only thing indicated on my computer. I also wanted to get the seatbelt retractor unit recall out of the way as well.

Then, to my surprise my SA told me that "I see it's been about a year since you got an oil change, we'll get that done for you as well." Keep in mind that I've done about 8000mi since my last free oil change so I really shouldn't have qualified under the new policy. They also changed my cabin filter, wipers, and tested out my HPFP just to be safe. Overall a very welcomed surprise in the quality of service I got this trip. Dealership is Passport BMW in MD.
Sweet! Thats better than a kick in the head, isnt it?!