BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos    Still want an EV?

12-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #5303
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Tesla recalls nearly all vehicles sold in U.S. to fix system that monitors drivers using Autopilot.

https://torontosun.com/news/world/te...sing-autopilot
I shall gird myself for the software update on my phone app requiring me to accept the update. Then I will begin the arduous journey of doing whatever I want to do after that with no further action or concern being needed. WTF? This is literally a software update. I just did one last week while my car sat in my garage. I just hit accept. Then live life.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 09:36 AM   #5304
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

As a follow up, this "recall" is so easy to do that for anyone wondering if this will leave time to "think of the children" there will be a surfeit of time for that. You will also have plenty of time to worry about the Tesla immolating your domicile.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 09:55 AM   #5305
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
You will also have plenty of time to worry about the Tesla immolating your domicile.
You think a lot about "immolating your domicile"?

In a land of litigation Tesla had to do this. The McDonald's Coffee scenario.
BMW looks to have got this right.

Last edited by Car-Addicted; 12-13-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 10:01 AM   #5306
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
You think a lot about "immolating your domicile" a lot?

In a land of litigation Tesla had to do this. The McDonald's Coffee scenario.
BMW looks to have got this right.
It would be a grand bonfire. Probably invite the neighbors over and build some friendships.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 10:26 AM   #5307
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Careful now, no S'mores; I've read where the battery smoke can be toxic...
Battery smoke just weeds out the weak.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2023, 10:49 AM   #5308
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

Quote:
Dude, I appreciate you looking at this topic with a sense of humor instead of getting PO'd like so many others.
Appreciate 2
gblansten2107.50
      12-13-2023, 01:30 PM   #5309
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Dude, I appreciate you looking at this topic with a sense of humor instead of getting PO'd like so many others.
This is why gblansten is a better advocate for EV's. I place a higher value on his posts then the EV zealots that think EV's provide the answer to everything that is wrong with the planet and they can't wait for 2030. I know if I posted some stupid article he would be the first to point out my error. What I expect of EV proponents is to acknowledge that the technologies involved have issues and that there are limitations to the technology for a lot of people. It's also nice to see people that it is really stupid to force ICE vehicle out of the market place.
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2023, 01:53 PM   #5310
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
Hear! Hear!

Sure beats running by while saying "stupid circle jerkers!"
M5Rick61801.00
      12-13-2023, 02:41 PM   #5311
dfox
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
How about going dollar per dollar: Fossil fuel subsidies and green energy boondoggles, I mean subsidies?

Try finding a source that isn't paid for by big oil. Major donors to the institute for energy research include ExxonMobil; American Petroleum Institute, a trade advocacy group for the oil industry; and coal firm Peabody Energy. Other donors include two Koch family foundations.

It's a "non-profit" puppet for the fossil fuel industry
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 02:51 PM   #5312
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Try finding a source that isn't paid for by big oil. Major donors to the institute for energy research include ExxonMobil; American Petroleum Institute, a trade advocacy group for the oil industry; and coal firm Peabody Energy. Other donors include two Koch family foundations. It's a "non-profit" puppet for the fossil fuel industry
There you go embarrassing yourself again.
Source: Energy Information Administration
www.eia.gov
U.S. Department of Energy
Washington, DC 20585

https://www.eia.gov/analysis/request...df/subsidy.pdf
Appreciate 4
      12-14-2023, 03:17 AM   #5313
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Not just another EV bashing article. This one has some interesting quotes from some of the folks who run auto companies and some interesting perspectives on the future of the auto industry..

What electric cars really cost: Your next new car will be old when you buy it
Earlier this year, Renault CEO Luca de Meo stated, "Nobody is, you know, from scratch developing a new combustion engine in Europe. ... All the money is going to electric or hydrogen technology." Some readers may imagine any improvements to the good old gasoline engine have already been made, but that’s not true. Giving up on development work on the good old gasoline engine will cost us. The internal combustion engine, particularly when paired with a Toyota-style Synergy Drive hybrid system, has significantly improved its efficiency in just the last few years, with more gains possible if someone would just put in the effort. There’s more to be done in gasoline direct injection, combustion efficiency, and hybrid economy. Yet that work isn’t being done.
But the government mandates to develop and build a full line of EVs continue, most recently with a dubiously legal requirement from the ***** administration’s Environmental Protection Agency that new car lines, on average, reach 58 miles per gallon within the decade. That $4.5 billion Ford lost chasing electric dreams? It had to come from somewhere, and the somewhere in question is ICE development and engineering.
Expect the automakers to play along with the governmental EV fantasies until they are obviously, provably, impossible. States and the federal government are making few if any plans to generate the increased power supply they are mandating drivers will demand from the grid, much less to permit battery mineral mining on U.S. land or the sea floor. Reality, in the form of battery shortages or brownouts, will hit us like the proverbial hammer to the forehead, at which point the voters will revolt and everyone will be allowed to make a hurried switch back to ramping up production on decade-old ICE designs.
Affordable personal transportation has been a part of the American dream since the Model T. That dream has been taken away from many people in the past few years and will be taken away from many more in the years to come. So, chances are that the worst part of buying decade-old designs out of showrooms in the future won’t be your disappointment at the performance or your resignation at the cost. It will be dealing with your odd, nagging, almost Soviet gratitude at being able to buy a car at all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/othe...5a427121&ei=10
Appreciate 4
M5Rick61801.00
KRS_SN13729.00
      12-14-2023, 05:14 AM   #5314
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

When is sleeep y j going to wake up. 4000 dealers are pleading for the stranglehold of EV adoption to be loosened, vehicles that nobody wants are piling up on the forecourts, destined for the crusher soon, what a waste of taxes, earth's resources and labor.
The 'get an EV arm twist_or we'll put you in a straight jacket' is over.
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2023, 05:38 AM   #5315
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Not just another EV bashing article. This one has some interesting quotes from some of the folks who run auto companies and some interesting perspectives on the future of the auto industry..

What electric cars really cost: Your next new car will be old when you buy it
Earlier this year, Renault CEO Luca de Meo stated, "Nobody is, you know, from scratch developing a new combustion engine in Europe. ... All the money is going to electric or hydrogen technology." Some readers may imagine any improvements to the good old gasoline engine have already been made, but that’s not true. Giving up on development work on the good old gasoline engine will cost us. The internal combustion engine, particularly when paired with a Toyota-style Synergy Drive hybrid system, has significantly improved its efficiency in just the last few years, with more gains possible if someone would just put in the effort. There’s more to be done in gasoline direct injection, combustion efficiency, and hybrid economy. Yet that work isn’t being done.
But the government mandates to develop and build a full line of EVs continue, most recently with a dubiously legal requirement from the ***** administration’s Environmental Protection Agency that new car lines, on average, reach 58 miles per gallon within the decade. That $4.5 billion Ford lost chasing electric dreams? It had to come from somewhere, and the somewhere in question is ICE development and engineering.
Expect the automakers to play along with the governmental EV fantasies until they are obviously, provably, impossible. States and the federal government are making few if any plans to generate the increased power supply they are mandating drivers will demand from the grid, much less to permit battery mineral mining on U.S. land or the sea floor. Reality, in the form of battery shortages or brownouts, will hit us like the proverbial hammer to the forehead, at which point the voters will revolt and everyone will be allowed to make a hurried switch back to ramping up production on decade-old ICE designs.
Affordable personal transportation has been a part of the American dream since the Model T. That dream has been taken away from many people in the past few years and will be taken away from many more in the years to come. So, chances are that the worst part of buying decade-old designs out of showrooms in the future won’t be your disappointment at the performance or your resignation at the cost. It will be dealing with your odd, nagging, almost Soviet gratitude at being able to buy a car at all.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/othe...5a427121&ei=10
I've literally been writing this exact message for years on this forum and in this thread. The best solution to materially reduce gasoline and diesel fuel consumption is to develop a pure serial hybrid EV drivetrain. The automotive engine combustion efficiency is hindered by the engine design, which has to be heavy and robust to sustain drivewheel shock loading. Combustion efficiency is also a result of the engine needing a broad powerband to develop torque over a wide RPM range. Move the engine to a pure electrical generation device and different higher temperature tolerant materials can be used in its construction and different more efficient cylinder designs can be developed. More power from far less emissions can be the result.

The pure serial hybrid uses a small on-board storage battery for regenerative braking and peak energy load requirements. The pure serial hybrid solves the electrical grid issue, battery resouces issues, and petrochemical industry disruption issues (on the horizon).

The pure serial hybrid won't be developed to its true potential because it still makes carbon exhaust emissions. Emissions from combustion are the distain of the enviro crowd and to be eliminated at all cost regardless of sanity and logic.
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13729.00
M5Rick61801.00
      12-14-2023, 06:20 AM   #5316
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Wrt plug in hybrids is that manufacturers are from what i can see deliberately sandbagging them.
Take an x5 50e 66 miles expected range(45 in real perhaps).
Takes 4.5 hours to get that range regardless of charger speed (ev could get hundreds of miles in that time).
If the plug in hybrid was chargeable in a few minutes it would be a game changer. Probably would cost a lot more too. I'd buy one.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick61801.00
      12-14-2023, 07:55 AM   #5317
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
Tesla recalls nearly all vehicles sold in U.S. to fix system that monitors drivers using Autopilot.

https://torontosun.com/news/world/te...sing-autopilot
2 million of them.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 08:37 AM   #5318
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've literally been writing this exact message for years on this forum and in this thread. The best solution to materially reduce gasoline and diesel fuel consumption is to develop a pure serial hybrid EV drivetrain. The automotive engine combustion efficiency is hindered by the engine design, which has to be heavy and robust to sustain drivewheel shock loading. Combustion efficiency is also a result of the engine needing a broad powerband to develop torque over a wide RPM range. Move the engine to a pure electrical generation device and different higher temperature tolerant materials can be used in its construction and different more efficient cylinder designs can be developed. More power from far less emissions can be the result.

The pure serial hybrid uses a small on-board storage battery for regenerative braking and peak energy load requirements. The pure serial hybrid solves the electrical grid issue, battery resouces issues, and petrochemical industry disruption issues (on the horizon).

The pure serial hybrid won't be developed to its true potential because it still makes carbon exhaust emissions. Emissions from combustion are the distain of the enviro crowd and to be eliminated at all cost regardless of sanity and logic.
Plug in hybrids don't sit well with me because of the aforementioned very slow charging rate and appalling poor reliability.
Hybrids that don't plug in, the battery being engine charged would be the choice for me if I had to go down that road and these are found to be more reliable than even straight gas cars according to my vid above.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 10:13 AM   #5319
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
I would own a plug in hybrid if not for the LiPo batteries. I will be very interested in the facts and roll out of solid state batteries. Yes Efthreeoh has been on point on this but this is cultist behavior and income redistribution which always trumps common sense.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 10:23 AM   #5320
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
Wrt plug in hybrids is that manufacturers are from what i can see deliberately sandbagging them.
I agree but I suspect there is more to this. At the end of the day it comes down to money. I suspect that ESG has a huge effect on this behind the scenes as well as CAFE laws as a EV will move the curve more that a hybrid.
Appreciate 4
KRS_SN13729.00
M5Rick61801.00
      12-14-2023, 10:27 AM   #5321
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Mostly firemen that do have to deal with it not
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 04:56 PM   #5322
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Chasing the free Government Cheese.
BMW USA CEO: Slower Growth in EV Sales, 6 EV Models from Spartanburg Plant
The company anticipates manufacturing six fully electric vehicle models in its Spartanburg, South Carolina plant by 2030. Mackensen wouldn’t outline the exact models, but we expect to see a BMW iX5, iX6 and iX7.
BMW Group announced plans to spend $1.7 billion to build EVs and batteries in the United States. Of the total investment, $700 million is reserved for a new high-voltage battery assembly plant situated in Woodruff, South Carolina.
BMW’s EVs have also been heavily incetivized recently with the iX having credits as high as $9500 and with dealers discounting more than 10 percent on average.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2023/12/13/b...o-on-ev-sales/
By the time BMW gets there, the $7,500.00 Government Cheese may be gone.
Appreciate 3
      12-15-2023, 04:26 AM   #5323
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
The company anticipates manufacturing six fully electric vehicle models in its Spartanburg, South Carolina plant by 2030. Mackensen wouldn’t outline the exact models, but we expect to see a BMW iX5, iX6 and iX7.
BMW Group announced plans to spend $1.7 billion to build EVs and batteries in the United States. Of the total investment, $700 million is reserved for a new high-voltage battery assembly plant situated in Woodruff, South Carolina.
BMW’s EVs have also been heavily incetivized recently with the iX having credits as high as $9500 and with dealers discounting more than 10 percent on average.
I can see a situation similar to Ford, Jeep,Toyota and the others, even with the $ 7.5k in place and still expensive, unsold cars on the forecourt will grow. Ok its BMW but it'll remain the same old song, walking blindfold into a not selling enough crisis.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2023, 05:48 AM   #5324
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
It was not long ago that everyone was knocking BMW for not going all guns blazing into electrification.
Currently the IX is their only Pure EV product. All the rest are a platform to accommodate both ev and ice and plug in hybrid powertrains.
I don't think bmw should qualify for the credit. The credit should be reserved for sub 50k EVs so that the people who need support benefit. Why offer it to people buying a 100k plus IX.
Appreciate 3
ASAP10253.00
M5Rick61801.00