No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicane_ View Post
Hence why I expressed early interest to my dealer on the CSL. I can't imagine them releasing a CSL that doesn't live up to the inevitable hype that will surround that model - especially given the high bar that's been set with their recent CS products. I wouldn't be upset if it's priced above the M5 CS if it uses extensive carbon fibre (bumpers, hood, trunk), trick (Multimatic?) suspension components and magnesium wheels.
At this point EVO Car of the Year next year is probably going to come down to the M4 CSL, GT4 RS, and the Lotus Emira. I wouldn't be suprised if all great work that they've been doing on the M's will make the M4 CSL a standout, especially since you are supposed to be able to get it with normal carbon seats, no roll cage, no wing (As well as roll cage and track seats, if you so choose).

I'm definitely hurting a little bit from passing on a few M5 CS MSRP allocations, but its still a car i would had needed to use daily to justify the price and i still think that would have tough for me (someone would have damaged it). Very happy for everyone that bought one, i hope to get to drive one one day. Or maybe buy one, we'll see.

I have my M4 CSL allocation reserved though lol.

Last edited by ScullyD; 12-09-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 2
Chicane_1050.00
Neptune71434.00
      12-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #24
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Hence why I expressed early interest to my dealer on the CSL. I can't imagine them releasing a CSL that doesn't live up to the inevitable hype that will surround that model - especially given the high bar that's been set with their recent CS products. I wouldn't be upset if it's priced above the M5 CS if it uses extensive carbon fibre (bumpers, hood, trunk), trick (Multimatic?) suspension components and magnesium wheels.
At this point EVO Car of the Year next year is probably going to come down to the M4 CSL, GT4 RS, and the Lotus Emira. I wouldn't be suprised if all great work that they've been doing on the M's will make the M4 CSL a standout, especially since you are supposed to be able to get it with normal carbon seats, no roll cage, no wing (As well as roll cage and track seats, if you so choose).

I'm definitely hurting a little bit from passing on a few M5 CS MSRP allocations, but its still a car i would had needed to use daily to justify the price and i still think that would have tough for me (someone would have damaged it). Very happy for everyone that bought one, i hope to get to drive one one day. Or maybe buy one, we'll see.

I have my M4 CSL allocation reserved though lol.
The Ferrari 296 and McLaren Artura will presumably be in the mix also. I was quite surprised to read what appeared to be a consensus on the SF90 shortcomings.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #25
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
The Ferrari 296 and McLaren Artura will presumably be in the mix also. I was quite surprised to read what appeared to be a consensus on the SF90 shortcomings.
I just get the feeling, unless both companies surprise, their tech overload is something that specifically turns off the audience at eCoTY, so i don't consider them legit contenders.

In the full article Adam Towler (one of the editors) talks about how he couldn't even get Carplay working on the SF90 as well as it having other technical issues more related to driving. I also have a neighbor with a Roma, and he's having a lot of technology problems. With the SF90 that translates to the unpredictabilty of the handling, and with the 296, we'll have to see. There was a quote "Once the manettino drive mode selector seemed like an exotic nod to F1-like control, but now its the simplest thing about the car" in reference to the SF90. Ferrari has to be having some sales issues too, i've gotten 3 calls from my local ferrari dealer about ordering a 296 in the past 3 months. I'm sure if you wanted an SF90 or 296, you could walk into a Ferrari dealer right now and place an order.

There are also a bunch of digs in the article about how McLaren couldn't get the Artura to this test cause the technology was so complex, they couldn't get it out by the end of the year.
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1050.00
      12-09-2021, 04:29 PM   #26
Chicane_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 CS + other stuff

I had no regrets passing up an SF90 allocation - even before the COTY article was released. Instinctively, Ferrari + new tech interface + hybrid requires one to be either a very brave soul or a diehard Tifosi. I'll probably be one of the last hybrid and EV holdouts.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 05:13 PM   #27
WickedBMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 MT

Will M4 CSL be available in the US?

Kevin Harvick
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #28
Dark-Knight