F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Sun Protection Glass - 21st century Marmite..?
Studio RSR

03-31-2021, 01:29 AM   #23
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I don’t mind the look particularly, but I find visibility much reduced. I can’t imagine having SPG without surround view cameras.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 01:39 AM   #24
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
I don’t mind the look particularly, but I find visibility much reduced. I can’t imagine having SPG without surround view cameras.
Can’t say I’ve noticed that - which car is it?

What annoys me about SPG is that without it, you can always see a few cars ahead and see if they are braking, as you can see through the car in front.

Of course, this won’t work if your behind a van etc, but more often than not you’re following a car and it’s a good way to anticipate traffic.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:08 AM   #25
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Can’t say I’ve noticed that - which car is it
F31 Touring. It’s not too bad during the day, but manoeuvring at night is much more difficult with SPG - IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:24 AM   #26
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

I didn't realise the difference until my brother showed up recently with his new X5 and had had the front glass tinted slightly further so as so stop it being such a cut line at the B pillar.

Conversely one of my biz partners recently picked up a new car with no protection glass at all and it really does look like an alien car, or goldfish bowl as has been mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:38 AM   #27
Ridg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
that looks like an illegal tint on the front

the top image isn't really fair as there's a dark car in the background.

I get the point about the hard line from the b pillar but as a touring owner, the SPG is great for when you have stuff in the boot and dispight the hard line it looks much better than untinted which just lacks a premium look IMO
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 02:42 AM   #28
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:
Can’t say I’ve noticed that - which car is it?

What annoys me about SPG is that without it, you can always see a few cars ahead and see if they are braking, as you can see through the car in front.

Of course, this won’t work if your behind a van etc, but more often than not you’re following a car and it’s a good way to anticipate traffic.
The solution to this is a taller car.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 03:21 AM   #29
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't mind the look particularly, but I find visibility much reduced. I can't imagine having SPG without surround view cameras.
Can't say I've noticed that - which car is it?

Of course, this won't work if your behind a van etc, but more often than not you're following a car and it's a good way to anticipate traffic.
Oh look, I have one of those!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 03:47 AM   #30
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

SPG also a modern phenomenon...is it the ONLY option that adds more to the GFV than it costs? (confirmed on the 1 series in a TRL thread) thus on a PCP where it can be specified individually its not only free but reduces the monthly by a pound. LoL.

Obviously Dave would happily spend a £ not to have it but I don't know any other option like that and it seems BMW finance and the general 'punter' disagrees and rather likes SPG?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:11 AM   #31
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't mind the look particularly, but I find visibility much reduced. I can't imagine having SPG without surround view cameras.

Of course, this won't work if your behind a van etc, but more often than not you're following a car and it's a good way to anticipate traffic.
Welcome to the JLR club, I never thought you would see the light.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:36 AM   #32
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And if the 'vehicle in front' is a JLR (SUV obviously), do we need a JCB or better still Liebherr
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:41 AM   #33
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelark View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And if the 'vehicle in front' is a JLR (SUV obviously), do we need a JCB or better still Liebherr
Afraid so Liebherr a tricky park on the school run, especially if it's my fridge, but the cranes definitely nail the view problem.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 04:48 AM   #34
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Funny man

I can't see the light though as SPG blocks it
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:06 AM   #35
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Andy View Post
Depends on the car.

I wouldn't have my M5 without it.

My 911 does not have it.
Getting just the rear done would look ridiculous.
Getting the front done too would be too much.
I wouldn't have it any other way.
yeah definetly depends on the car and colour too.. some cars just cant pull it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
guess it depends on the colour, but seems ok on white. My front side windows are tinted to 30% which is the legal limit. Helps even it out:

Is that legal? or is that tinted down to 30% (not 30% on top of whats already there?)
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:11 AM   #36
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquazi View Post
yeah definetly depends on the car and colour too.. some cars just cant pull it off.

Is that legal? or is that tinted down to 30% (not 30% on top of whats already there?)
It's a 30% tint overall so legal. Looks darker in that picture because you see the backdrop through both side windows. From a different angle looking through just one of the windows:

Last edited by winther1; 03-31-2021 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:46 AM   #37
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I've nothing to add on SPG, rather a comment on auto dimming mirrors. I don't thinking that was why it didn't work on that car you mentioned DaveA , but rather that the original F30 cars had it in both sides whereas the LCI cars only have it in the drivers side. Ridiculous penny pinching from BMW
Sorry, I was not really clear when I described that…

Both my 320d and 330d were pre-LCI with both side mirrors able to dim… The dark glass in the 330 cut the light reaching the sensor (in the main interior rear view mirror) and so the door mirrors did not dim as much under the same dazzle conditions…

In my 340, which was LCI, then, yes, only one door mirror dimmed… At the time, I also noticed that other manufacturers were doing the same and I always assumed it was some legislation somewhere that dictated that…
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:52 AM   #38
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
SPG also a modern phenomenon...is it the ONLY option that adds more to the GFV than it costs? (confirmed on the 1 series in a TRL thread) thus on a PCP where it can be specified individually its not only free but reduces the monthly by a pound. LoL.

Obviously Dave would happily spend a £ not to have it but I don't know any other option like that and it seems BMW finance and the general 'punter' disagrees and rather likes SPG?
This is a UK thing as if you look at the Germany configurator you don't have the same conundrum... Maybe it is just that, on average, us Brits have bought into the idea of having the sun protection glass on the cars... But if that is the case, why are they not just setting things up so all the cars have it and there is no choice..?

What annoys me is the way it is being used in the packs to force the issue is you want (say) 19" wheels on the M135i...

Or, say, a 330i M Sport... Want M adaptive suspension and the diff...? You need the M Sport Plus pack, with, yes, you guessed it, sun protection glass... and some black headlights...
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C

Last edited by DaveA; 03-31-2021 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
JustChris17607.00
      03-31-2021, 05:55 AM   #39
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridg View Post
that looks like an illegal tint on the front

the top image isn't really fair as there's a dark car in the background.

I get the point about the hard line from the b pillar but as a touring owner, the SPG is great for when you have stuff in the boot and dispight the hard line it looks much better than untinted which just lacks a premium look IMO
I think both pictures you mention are just dark pictures... But the point I am making is illustrated by them as where the "tint" front and rear is even, the "flow" of how the eye is drawn along the car is uninterrupted... with the different tint, there is a distinct vertical barrier to the flow...

I fully appreciate that many folk like the glass and would always want it. My point is that if you don't want it, but do want some other options, the way BMW UK are setting things up is that they are removing that choice from the customer... and I just don't understand why sun protection glass is being lumped in like that... The example I mention above in my reply to Chris, the 330i M Sport... if you want the adaptive suspension and diff, then you have to have the glass... Just, why..?

Last edited by DaveA; 03-31-2021 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 05:57 AM   #40
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winther1 View Post
guess it depends on the colour, but seems ok on white. My front side windows are tinted to 30% which is the legal limit. Helps even it out:
I certainly think that white carries the effect better than many colours...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:46 AM   #41
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
As I understand it, the packs are a reaction to the new fuel consumption rules as every option added is supposed to be re-evaluated and using packs cuts down on the number of tests the manufacturer has to carry out on each model.

They obviously pick the packs based upon commonly bought option combinations customers have chosen in the past so a truly individually specc'ed car is no longer possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 07:23 AM   #42
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
This is a UK thing as if you look at the Germany configurator you don't have the same conundrum... Maybe it is just that, on average, us Brits have bought into the idea of having the sun protection glass on the cars... But if that is the case, why are they not just setting things up so all the cars have it and there is no choice..?

What annoys me is the way it is being used in the packs to force the issue is you want (say) 19" wheels on the M135i...

Or, say, a 330i M Sport... Want M adaptive suspension and the diff...? You need the M Sport Plus pack, with, yes, you guessed it, sun protection glass... and some black headlights...
I agree the packs are a bit odd. BMW's excuse that it means they have to test more for WLTP etc looks stranger every year with Porsche still offering 1.27M option combinations per vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:30 AM   #43
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
As I understand it, the packs are a reaction to the new fuel consumption rules as every option added is supposed to be re-evaluated and using packs cuts down on the number of tests the manufacturer has to carry out on each model.

They obviously pick the packs based upon commonly bought option combinations customers have chosen in the past so a truly individually specc'ed car is no longer possible.
Except you can add the dark glass and the HK audio to any car as an option without specifying the pack,... just not the 19" wheels, which are the only option that actually does change the emissions class... so it all seems odd to me...

So I don't really buy the emissions argument with the glass in the pack, especially as the Germany market (same emissions regs) does not bundle the options in the same way...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:34 AM   #44
DaveA
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I agree the packs are a bit odd. BMW's excuse that it means they have to test more for WLTP etc looks stranger every year with Porsche still offering 1.27M option combinations per vehicle.
Yes... I could buy the WLTP argument if all the BMW regions dealt with the options in the same way, but they don't... Germany clearly allows different option combinations to the UK...

Other manufacturers clearly are addressing WLTP complications by significantly minimising option choice... they seem to generally go for a number of standard specifications for each model... I am thinking, say, how Mazda seem to be doing it... with very little to actually specify other than model, trim level, engine and colours...
Appreciate 0