BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    M5 CS doesnt look like it has camera in grille, add one?

06-25-2021, 01:42 PM   #23
shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Honestly, I find all of this funny. A bunch of people arguing about the purpose of a car that is being built in limited quantity. Like I've said before, the M5CS isn't built for the masses. All the people bashing it, saying it is silly, tend to be current M5 owners. Wonder why that is?
As do I. After three years of tracking my M5, and failing to find suitable ways to get a good harness in without hacking the electronics, this was a godsend to me.

I'll be absolutely overjoyed to trade in my 18 on this and be able to do it without hacking anything.

Honestly though, I wish you get it with metal brakes. Cheaper and easier to replace. Having changed out WAYYYY too many brakes in the paddock, I think the carbons won't suit my track habit for longevity.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:19 PM   #24
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
Honestly, I find all of this funny. A bunch of people arguing about the purpose of a car that is being built in limited quantity. Like I've said before, the M5CS isn't built for the masses. All the people bashing it, saying it is silly, tend to be current M5 owners. Wonder why that is?
As do I. After three years of tracking my M5, and failing to find suitable ways to get a good harness in without hacking the electronics, this was a godsend to me.

I'll be absolutely overjoyed to trade in my 18 on this and be able to do it without hacking anything.

Honestly though, I wish you get it with metal brakes. Cheaper and easier to replace. Having changed out WAYYYY too many brakes in the paddock, I think the carbons won't suit my track habit for longevity.

Shawn
The M5 CS is basically the best iteration of this generation M5 and in limited numbers. While other M5s will lose 50% of their value in 4 years this limited version will hopefully hold its value, thus making it a better financial decision versus the base or the competition.

It doesn't matter if people bash the CS, or try to make buyers of this car look small for paying this much on a car. All that matters is the big smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2021, 09:46 PM   #25
Jakerx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 Comp

Quote:
ITS A TRACK CAR.

Why is this a mystery to everybody?
Bahaha. It’s mainly a mystery because the M5 CS is by no means a track car.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:54 PM   #26
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakerStyle View Post
Bahaha. It’s mainly a mystery because the M5 CS is by no means a track car.

He's too dense to understand what a track car really is. The closest thing according to his profile he's had to a track car is an M2.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 10:03 PM   #27
wesleyan92
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8 GC || M5 Comp || X7 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X740i  [0.00]
2021 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
He's too dense to understand what a track car really is. The closest thing according to his profile he's had to a track car is an M2.
Why are you being so condescending and rude towards the guy?
      06-25-2021, 10:08 PM   #28
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyan92 View Post

I'm not stating anything inaccurate. I'm stating facts...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 07:11 AM   #29
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
You hit the nail on the head. To that point, the M5CS is a confused vehicle. If it's not a track car, then what is it? It's not a good daily car either. So then where does it fit? Is it a good weekend sports car? Not really. It's an M5 at heart, but without the M5 creature comforts.

It has some cool features, no doubt, and it's somewhat limited. But beyond that, the questions above still remain.
No creature comforts and not much of a performance gain either, pointless car at a frankly silly price in the UK anyway. 70Kg is nothing in such a powerhouse of a car, just one small passenger is all.
      06-26-2021, 12:08 PM   #30
Ex_Stig
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
You hit the nail on the head. To that point, the M5CS is a confused vehicle. If it's not a track car, then what is it? It's not a good daily car either. So then where does it fit? Is it a good weekend sports car? Not really. It's an M5 at heart, but without the M5 creature comforts.

It has some cool features, no doubt, and it's somewhat limited. But beyond that, the questions above still remain.
No creature comforts and not much of a performance gain either, pointless car at a frankly silly price in the UK anyway. 70Kg is nothing in such a powerhouse of a car, just one small passenger is all.
So much animosity for a car you aren't even going to own. What's really driving your anger about this car? Why are you constantly bashing it?

'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 2
wesleyan921761.50
Chicane_1058.00
      06-27-2021, 06:37 AM   #31
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyan92 View Post

I'm not stating anything inaccurate. I'm stating facts...
Stating that someone you don't know is "too dense to understand " is just a douchey opinion… you're obviously entitled to those too, but the way you're trying to make your point precludes it from ever being factual.

Even though this thread is supposedly about adding a front camera to the CS, I'll just add that personally I think driving any car on a closed track is exhilarating and fun… I've tracked my M5 and my supercharged c5 vette at Sebring (neither are considered a "track car" ) and have only ever had an absolute blast. Maybe some of this is just about having fun… there's not nearly as many rules and restrictions to having fun as some make it out to be.
Appreciate 3
Chicane_1058.00
wesleyan921761.50
      06-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #32
malrash
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5 CS

Guess Ima have to cancel my car then….
No 360 camera …… the horror!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #33
Spunky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

The M5 is a boat. The CS is the same boat. Boats are no track cars, although they can go fast on one(it’s not you, it’s the electronics doing it).

CS is a marketing trick and a way to build something seemingly more special, removing some options, lowering the BOM cost, calling it weight savings and turning a sweet profit from wannabe race car drivers

Quote:
A
Honestly though, this makes me question if you even went to a track with your boat. The only reason to option the CC brakes outside of Germany is if you plan some track time, longer than a lap. Can you share your best VIR times?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #34
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
Stating that someone you don't know is "too dense to understand " is just a douchey opinion… you're obviously entitled to those too, but the way you're trying to make your point precludes it from ever being factual.

Even though this thread is supposedly about adding a front camera to the CS, I'll just add that personally I think driving any car on a closed track is exhilarating and fun… I've tracked my M5 and my supercharged c5 vette at Sebring (neither are considered a "track car" ) and have only ever had an absolute blast. Maybe some of this is just about having fun… there's not nearly as many rules and restrictions to having fun as some make it out to be.
I'm just going to ignore the personal attacks from who you were addressing. Because you are right.

That being said, the discussion about what is and is not a "track car" is flexible person to person. If we wanna be inflexible about it, anything but a radical or Lola could be the line, and the modified "street cars" that use a street chassis and compete in professional racing series are not "track cars" but then modified street car. The M4 GTS would be an example.

Personally, any car that the manufacturer has made a concerted effort at weight reduction, brakes capable of more than one lap without overheating, and removal of creature comforts to promote the installation of six point restraints and roll bars fits as a track car.

For goodness sakes, the Miata is an awfully good track car, and is crapton of fun to drive on the track.

But, since people wanna be dicks about it, I figure ignoring their opinions is the best way to handle it, since most likely they are 35 year old virgins living in their mothers basements being twitter warriors in their underwear. But what do I know.

Shawn
Appreciate 2
      06-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #35
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky View Post
Honestly though, this makes me question if you even went to a track with your boat. The only reason to option the CC brakes outside of Germany is if you plan some track time, longer than a lap. Can you share your best VIR times?
2:08, on Toyo Proxes RR's.

My reasoning for metal brakes as an option is the same for the Porsche guys. Since you question if I went to track with my "boat", if you knew anything about track you'd know that most track guys eventually remove the carbons because they're too expensive to replace. More than 4 events per year and you WILL be replacing them. They make the car faster, but the second time you replace them you begin to think of ways to get rid of them.

I've murdered AP racing carbon rotors to the tune of $16,000 and Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 carbon rotors to the tune of $4000.

One of the reasons I bought the M5 is that the replacement rotors range $400-$700 per corner, which is way better than most of the cars that I've owned and tracked.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #36
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixbmwlife View Post
The M5 CS is basically the best iteration of this generation M5 and in limited numbers. While other M5s will lose 50% of their value in 4 years this limited version will hopefully hold its value, thus making it a better financial decision versus the base or the competition.

LOL Never going to happen BMW's loose big money end of story.
      06-28-2021, 02:02 PM   #37
CosmicCharlie
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 comp, '24 X7 m60i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky View Post
2:08, on Toyo Proxes RR's.

My reasoning for metal brakes as an option is the same for the Porsche guys. Since you question if I went to track with my "boat", if you knew anything about track you'd know that most track guys eventually remove the carbons because they're too expensive to replace. More than 4 events per year and you WILL be replacing them. They make the car faster, but the second time you replace them you begin to think of ways to get rid of them.

I've murdered AP racing carbon rotors to the tune of $16,000 and Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 carbon rotors to the tune of $4000.

One of the reasons I bought the M5 is that the replacement rotors range $400-$700 per corner, which is way better than most of the cars that I've owned and tracked.

Shawn
I'm fairly certain almost none/none of the keyboard warriors "dropping facts" have much/any track experience. I'm baffled by the parroted obsessions about the weight, brakes etc. as if they are all sponsored professional race car drivers under the gun for the fastest laps like their livelihood depends on it… maybe some are, but seems pretty unlikely.

Anyone who actually goes to track events realizes that most participants are like me- busy/successful/wealthy professionals with an expensive hobby that gets exercised a few times per year. I go out to have fun and drive my cars in ways that would get me thrown in jail off the track (some of us have too much to lose to drive like a moron on public roads, even in "Mexico"); take the opportunity to get a better sense of what these awesome cars are capable of. EVERY person that I've attended events with is in the same boat, and NONE of the folks I've encountered who seem to be more serious/better resourced have ever been loudmouths or jerks about what anyone else is driving or what their laps look like- just camaraderie, fun, shared passion for cars. These forums are littered with people who think they're forum big shots just because they waste a lot of time posting their mental diarrhea here… post count is not the shining impressive credential some people seem to think it is.
Appreciate 5
Ex_Stig2702.50
shawnhayes1913.00
Chicane_1058.00
Jamesmick131.00
      06-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #38
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie View Post
I'm fairly certain almost none/none of the keyboard warriors "dropping facts" have much/any track experience. I'm baffled by the parroted obsessions about the weight, brakes etc. as if they are all sponsored professional race car drivers under the gun for the fastest laps like their livelihood depends on it… maybe some are, but seems pretty unlikely.

Anyone who actually goes to track events realizes that most participants are like me- busy/successful/wealthy professionals with an expensive hobby that gets exercised a few times per year. I go out to have fun and drive my cars in ways that would get me thrown in jail off the track (some of us have too much to loose to drive like a moron on public roads, even in "Mexico"); take the opportunity to get a better sense of what these awesome cars are capable of. EVERY person that I've attended events with is in the same boat, and NONE of the folks I've encountered who seem to be more serious/better resourced have ever been loudmouths or jerks about what anyone else is driving or what their laps look like- just camaraderie, fun, shared passion for cars. These forums are littered with people who think they're forum big shots just because they waste a lot of time posting their mental diarrhea here… post count is not the shining impressive credential some people seem to think it is.
Over the years, there's the OCCASSIONAL d***weed who comes to the track with an attitude. Usually drives a Porsche or Corvette, and usually gets absolutely destroyed by some kid driving a Miata around a technical part of the track. They usually give it up later and don't come back.

But, yes, you're absolutely right. I love showing up in the four door saloon that zooms around "the usual suspects". I also notice the "flash in the pan" cars that come around every couple of years, and then fade away.

But, as for the F90 M5. I have never had a car that came prepped to be the great "all around" track car. It holds my tires, and all my gear, and then unloads down the back straight like a trailer queen. Sure, I can afford a trailer, and some trailer queen that I can store at the track, but when I have one I can drive around town when I take off the sticky tires why would I want to?

Haters gonna hate. I'm gonna love mine. Looks like you will too.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #39
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Over the years, there's the OCCASSIONAL d***weed who comes to the track with an attitude. Usually drives a Porsche or Corvette, and usually gets absolutely destroyed by some kid driving a Miata around a technical part of the track. They usually give it up later and don't come back.

But, yes, you're absolutely right. I love showing up in the four door saloon that zooms around "the usual suspects". I also notice the "flash in the pan" cars that come around every couple of years, and then fade away.

But, as for the F90 M5. I have never had a car that came prepped to be the great "all around" track car. It holds my tires, and all my gear, and then unloads down the back straight like a trailer queen. Sure, I can afford a trailer, and some trailer queen that I can store at the track, but when I have one I can drive around town when I take off the sticky tires why would I want to?

Haters gonna hate. I'm gonna love mine. Looks like you will too.

Shawn
M5 CS won't hold your tires though, cause the back seats don't go down.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #40
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

To the original poster:

Lots of M5 CS haters in this forum, on this thread. I am not.

If money no object, you WILL be able to complete this project and idea. You will decrease the value of the car when you do it, as it will no longer be "as delivered". If you're going to keep the car forever, who cares? Go for it. It will be A LOT of work. You will need to find the parts, and an experienced coder to make it work. They are out there.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #41
shawnhayes
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
M5 CS won't hold your tires though, cause the back seats don't go down.
Current M5 holds them in the back seat in a line across. Don't need to fold. Car is wide enough and tall enough to do so. I do have to scoot the front seats forward a little more than usual, but they fit.

Thanks for noting though.

And I've thought about the buckets back there in the M5 CS. Worst case scenario I'll have to bolster the edges around the seats with towels to level the rear seat and then get the tires in. I've also thought about doing that and putting a side to side board over the back seat to give it a level area, and then put the tires in.

Shawn
Appreciate 1
Chicane_1058.00
      06-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #42
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

love how OP never came back to this thread

looks like no camera was a dealbreaker for him
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #43
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:

This thread turned into a dumpster fire. 🔥 prob ran for the hills.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 12:18 AM   #44
Dark-Knight
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:

just reading the responses, no cam not a big deal, car would be perfect for me if could've gotten black or a even darker grey, console storage to store gun/mags, bigger spoiler, naked carbon hood. Im debating on tyre choice. I'll add a dash cam if I need to, in todays crazy society you need it. It was this car or the Blackwing w/Manual, not to crazy about the Blackwing styling, also didnt get in on the pre-order, it might be blasphemy but thinking about a carbon grille. am surprised about all the negativity towards the CS, I would think we should be elated, we get it cheaper than the ROW and if no particle filters, that means lighter weight and better sound, maybe last of the V8s, I might go to a track day every couple years, I mostly rub my car with a microfiber, cheaper to race on playstation,
Appreciate 0