BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #23
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Aside from the engine's first oil change when there is likely to be more particulates from the initial break-in, it may be quite possible to go 15k between oil changes without serious consiquences. This was an issue discussed early on when this forum was relatively new and BMW's oil change plan was first understood. There were a number of synthetic oil analysis reports posted. Basically, synthetic oil is capable of performing for many tens of thousands of miles so the problem is not the oil breaking down. The question is whether the engine will use/lose oil and can the filter keep the oil acceptably clean. All we basically need is for someone to run an analysis of their oil at a 15k interval to see if it's any worse than oil at a 3k interval. I'm sure BMW has done this analysis 8 ways to Sunday and isn't about to be surprised by millions of lease returns coming back with damaged engines. What we don't know is how much damage might they will be willing to risk in exchange for lower service costs? Some analysis reports would settle the issue.
      08-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #24
2010AW135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

^ in addition to that you have to wonder how much gas ends up in the oil.

with direct injection there is a % of gas that ends up diluting the oil.

so after 15k miles it could be pretty high
      08-25-2010, 11:47 PM   #25
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Im sorry but this is Bull Shit BMW just like to Dick with people.... I have had 3 or four letters from them about recalls NOW THIS SHIT..... I keep telling my self never again... But an M3 would be a nice new car....

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 07:11 AM   #26
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

m3 is not the top of the line performance car anymore, they lost focus and let people like ford catch up
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Im sorry but this is Bull Shit BMW just like to Dick with people....
Yeah, that makes sense.

Quote:
I have had 3 or four letters from them about recalls NOW THIS SHIT..... I keep telling my self never again...
Seriously, over recalls? They are a minor annoyance, at worst. And these days, lots of manufacturers issue recalls over little things, mainly to cover their asses. Just think of it as BMW being proactive.

I sometimes think these boards attract a disproportionate number of whiners.
      08-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #28
tonmonde
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22

that sucks, i agree should be on models bought after this bulletin posted...
      08-26-2010, 02:05 PM   #29
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Yeah, that makes sense.

Seriously, over recalls? They are a minor annoyance, at worst. And these days, lots of manufacturers issue recalls over little things, mainly to cover their asses. Just think of it as BMW being proactive.

I sometimes think these boards attract a disproportionate number of whiners.
Uhhhh its a 40k+ car thats 4 months old... ?? Im not a whiner, Im pissed..

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #30
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
I do not see problem here, you still can change oil any time, you need just pay for it and many places offer it for $60. I never buy a point that car has free maintenance, so when Benz quit the program I was happy, since I wasn’t anymore obligated by stupid computer when I need to do oil change and could do it anytime.

But sure 1 owners are cheap as it was stated in other thread, so it is the reason why it is so harmful for us.
Agreed. I could care less about free oil changes. If you can afford to buy a BMW, you shouldn't be shocked at the cost of taking care of it. The way I see it is 2 tanks of gas are about the same price as an oil change. ( at least where I live ) So why bitch? The program is only for 4 years anyway, so what would you do after that? If you put on low milage, in 4 years it works to 3 oil changes from your pocket and one free one. Doesn't sound like something to cry foul over to me. Our Mercedes cost double to service what the 1 series does and it doesn't bother me one bit. If i wanted cheap running costs, I would have bought a GM and used jiffy lube.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #31
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight6r View Post
Agreed. I could care less about free oil changes. If you can afford to buy a BMW, you shouldn't be shocked at the cost of taking care of it. The way I see it is 2 tanks of gas are about the same price as an oil change. ( at least where I live ) So why bitch? The program is only for 4 years anyway, so what would you do after that? If you put on low milage, in 4 years it works to 3 oil changes from your pocket and one free one. Doesn't sound like something to cry foul over to me. Our Mercedes cost double to service what the 1 series does and it doesn't bother me one bit. If i wanted cheap running costs, I would have bought a GM and used jiffy lube.
Ya only four years???? what.... I was told when I bought the car that I would get free oil changes... You don't pay all this money for nothing I cant believe people can accept this... I don't want a guy from jiffy lube working on my car I bought a BMW so I want BMW service people working on my car... I live in FL its 20- 30 miles one way to get stuff done.... I don't understand how they can say one thing and do another...

PS- thats one of the reasons why I did not buy a benz...

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #32
Tochenzo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
1998 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
m3 is not the top of the line performance car anymore, they lost focus and let people like ford catch up
I don't know about that...other than certain ford models (Shelby gt) that have always been top of the line...I am sure I would choose the m3 over most cars.

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #33
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

Quote:
Ya only four years???? what.... I was told when I bought the car that I would get free oil changes... You don't pay all this money for nothing I cant believe people can accept this... I don't want a guy from jiffy lube working on my car I bought a BMW so I want BMW service people working on my car... I live in FL its 20- 30 miles one way to get stuff done.... I don't understand how they can say one thing and do another...

PS- thats one of the reasons why I did not buy a benz...
I still don't understand what the big deal is. I bet the majority of BMW owners don't know of or could care about the details of an once a year low milage oil change. Most owners will hit the milage target at least once a year and get their free oil change and service. Very few owners put low milage on their cars unless they don't drive them or it is their second car as in my case. All this bitching and complaining about something so little just confirms the stereotype that we only buy 1 series becasue we're too poor to afford a nicer model. You really think the Z4 or 6 series guys bitch about free oil changes? Stop fueling the allready out of control fire.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #34
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I still don't understand what the big deal is. I bet the majority of BMW owners don't know of or could care about the details of an once a year low milage oil change. Most owners will hit the milage target at least once a year and get their free oil change and service. Very few owners put low milage on their cars unless they don't drive them or it is their second car as in my case. All this bitching and complaining about something so little just confirms the stereotype that we only buy 1 series becasue we're too poor to afford a nicer model. You really think the Z4 or 6 series guys bitch about free oil changes? Stop fueling the allready out of control fire.
No??? I could have had any BMW I wanted look on EBAY... But I wanted this car and having a great warranty package was icing on the cake... I just feel like around every turn BMW has a some new shit to pull out off their ass..

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #35
2010AW135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Quote:

It has nothing to do with price, and everything to do with principle
      08-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #36
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
AFAIK, this low mileage oil change thing wasn't even advertised anywhere and was usually done as a "courtesy" by the dealerships. You're still getting your free oil changes and other *scheduled* maintenance, as long as your car says you need them, and that's all BMWNA ever really promised you (regardless of wheather or not we think it's often enough). Welcome to the recession, by the way, where companies are doing their best to trim excess spending and things like courtesy, non-scheduled service go out the window.

As for the recalls, when was your car built Stoutnj89? Because my car is only a month older than yours and has been recalled exactly once, for the excess B-pillar insulation. The taillight thing is only supposed to be affecting older builds. You say you've had four recalls in four months? For what?

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 08-27-2010 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #37
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ya only four years???? what....
Yes, four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Quote:
I was told when I bought the car that I would get free oil changes...
You will, as long as your car's computer says you're due.

Quote:
I live in FL its 20- 30 miles one way to get stuff done....
Huh? Is there a law in FL that BMW service centers must be no closer than 20 or 30 miles from a residence?
      08-27-2010, 01:26 AM   #38
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No??? I could have had any BMW I wanted look on EBAY...
LOL, jeez, now you really sound like a spoiled brat.

Last edited by Bimmer-Bob; 08-27-2010 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 02:59 AM   #39
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I change my oil and filter every 10,000km, even though BMW suggest longer intervals.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #40
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

they use the same interval mile logic on turbos, non turbo's, di, and non di engines

that alone should tell everyone what they need to know
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #41
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
Yes, four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

You will, as long as your car's computer says you're due.

Huh? Is there a law in FL that BMW service centers must be no closer than 20 or 30 miles from a residence?
Ha.. My car is 4 and a half months old it has 9000 miles.. In FL places aren't as close as they usually are anywhere else.. I usually have to go 3 or 4 exits just to go to school or do any other shit... How am I a spoiled brat??? Im a Finance major and know when things aren't right. Also when you sign a document saying you get free oil changes u should get FREE oil changes... My car is a 2010 Brand new... A letter about the Tail lights, HPFP, and now the Fire issue... It has been in service for the shitty ass radio, speakers, the wierd sound under the passenger side airbag that sounds like a pop, taillights, DASH BOARD CAVING IN, loose exhaust, window not going up...

Ohhh... But no Im I spoiled brat and BMW makes really quality cars...

Last edited by NewYearsBoy; 08-27-2010 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #42
gavolant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW 135i M-Sport

Quote:
? Im a Finance major and know when things aren't right..

Ohhh... But no Im I spoiled brat and BMW makes really quality cars...
Notice he didn't say English major. I can't believe you all are complaining, YES its a breach of contract, YES it somewhat sucks but the reality is they were really only paying for 3 oil changes anyways. Sorry about your $300 bucks but you did just buy a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #43
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavolant View Post
Notice he didn't say English major. I can't believe you all are complaining, YES its a breach of contract, YES it somewhat sucks but the reality is they were really only paying for 3 oil changes anyways. Sorry about your $300 bucks but you did just buy a BMW.
True.. Again no big spelling issues... Its a forum... I got the point across..

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #44
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
So you get penalized for taking action to protect the car and reduce future warranty costs??? I couldn't care less what BMW or Castrol say, 1 year is too long between changes, maybe I'm just used to classic cars but I'm not comfortable with with 24,000KM a year between changes.
Appreciate 0