BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

03-28-2021, 05:48 PM   #309
GTiceman
Parrothead
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i   [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
Geez! so may issues and bugs across 'brands' noted in these threads.
I hate re-do's and seemingly infinite troubleshooting hours.

Curious if the pricier Bimmer-Tech MMI is more reliable?
I'm inclined to pay ~$200 more for better support, less hassles. "time value of money" so-to-speak.

...comments/thoughts?
I considered it just because I am an hour from Bimmertech and could likely have them help with any issues easily. I am very happy with my decision with the Carsara. I have had no real issues. Didn't run the USB or iDrive cables. My only reinstall was trying to code but I had issues and might try again once I install the induktiv wireless charger. Plus it was $400+ more, not $200.
See Garage for Mods
Appreciate 2
G0FNDM3750.00
      03-29-2021, 04:31 AM   #310
FloorBeamer
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

A question, just to be sure:

Audio over quadlock is also possible for cars without combox?

Thanks 🙏
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #311
G0FNDM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 AW

Garage List
2007 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTiceman View Post
Quote:
Geez! so may issues and bugs across 'brands' noted in these threads.
I hate re-do's and seemingly infinite troubleshooting hours.

Curious if the pricier Bimmer-Tech MMI is more reliable?
I'm inclined to pay ~$200 more for better support, less hassles. "time value of money" so-to-speak.

...comments/thoughts?
I considered it just because I am an hour from Bimmertech and could likely have them help with any issues easily. I am very happy with my decision with the Carsara. I have had no real issues. Didn't run the USB or iDrive cables. My only reinstall was trying to code but I had issues and might try again once I install the induktiv wireless charger. Plus it was $400+ more, not $200.
I have the MMI Prime and have been silently following this thread. So far I haven't encounter any major issues. The sound quality is pretty much spot-on to the factory CIC. This is without the coding that most are doing to receive better sound however my car is equipped with a complete Bavsound speaker set along with their amp. That may have something to do with the sound remaining good. : Anyway, one only issue I had was that I had to re-pair my iPhone which I believe is a CarPlay issue in general because I've had to do that plenty of times in my wife's 2017 X5 that came with factory CarPlay.
      03-29-2021, 11:00 AM   #312
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorBeamer View Post
A question, just to be sure:

Audio over quadlock is also possible for cars without combox?

Thanks 🙏
Yes, the Combox does not play into the equation it's just telling your car to take Aux from the back of the headunit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicteal_M3 View Post
I have the MMI Prime and have been silently following this thread. So far I haven't encounter any major issues. The sound quality is pretty much spot-on to the factory CIC. This is without the coding that most are doing to receive better sound however my car is equipped with a complete Bavsound speaker set along with their amp. That may have something to do with the sound remaining good. : Anyway, one only issue I had was that I had to re-pair my iPhone which I believe is a CarPlay issue in general because I've had to do that plenty of times in my wife's 2017 X5 that came with factory CarPlay.
Good to hear, based on the other threads on F30post that show that the Bimmertech box is the same as the others, it's probably hard to make a clear distinction if your car has other upgrades. I suspect it might be entirely down to the quality/shielding of the wiring harness that Carsara uses.
G0FNDM3750.00
      03-29-2021, 02:08 PM   #313
FloorBeamer
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Yes, the Combox does not play into the equation it's just telling your car to take Aux from the back of the headunit.

Good to hear, based on the other threads on F30post that show that the Bimmertech box is the same as the others, it's probably hard to make a clear distinction if your car has other upgrades. I suspect it might be entirely down to the quality/shielding of the wiring harness that Carsara uses.

Thanks again Cyberdemon!

Because of your tutorial, extensive knowledge and great tips of all the people around here, I decided to go for the Carsara! It is now a bit cheaper because of the Ali anniversary sale.
I also purchased a Veepeak for coding.

Can’t wait to get started!

Thanks again! 👍👍👍

Last edited by FloorBeamer; 03-29-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 03:18 PM   #314
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT

Thumbs up Joining the Carsara Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorBeamer View Post
Thanks again Cyberdemon!

Because of your tutorial, extensive knowledge and great tips of all the people around here, I decided to go for the Carsara! It is now a bit cheaper because of the Ali anniversary sale.
I also purchased a Veepeak for coding.

Can’t wait to get started!

Thanks again! ������
I second that sentiment so much so, took the plunge, ordered the Carsara/Cam set-up today!

Wouldn't have done it without the outstanding expertise, and patience shared by Cyberdemon...many thanks
Plan to do the Code out method for install...

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:13 PM   #315
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
I second that sentiment so much so, took the plunge, ordered the Carsara/Cam set-up today!

Wouldn't have done it without the outstanding expertise, and patience shared by Cyberdemon...many thanks
Plan to do the Code out method for install...
Visiting from the E90Post and also ordered the same thing today.

Was pretty sold on the BimmerTech option but this seems like it's worth a try - worst case, if it doesn't work right, I can get my money back through PayPal/Amex.

Still a little confused on why you would/would not have to manually connect the iDrive controller but we'll figure it out. Just need to find a day to tackle this along with the R7 and dashcam hardwire.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:50 PM   #316
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston4 View Post
Visiting from the E90Post and also ordered the same thing today.

Was pretty sold on the BimmerTech option but this seems like it's worth a try - worst case, if it doesn't work right, I can get my money back through PayPal/Amex.

Still a little confused on why you would/would not have to manually connect the iDrive controller but we'll figure it out. Just need to find a day to tackle this along with the R7 and dashcam hardwire.
I concur on the BimmerTech inclination AND the contingency noted.
Also, hardwiring a Nextbase 622GW dashcam along with the MMI/Back-up cam...likely to be an all-weekend adventure

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 08:37 AM   #317
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The signals come through the quadlock connector. It's important to remember this is designed as a "one box fits all" kind of solution so the iDrive harness may work on certain configurations either due to the many various options/permutations and configurations that were available with the CIC. Some have noted their iDrive cables worked fine, but it seems to be people coming from non M3 platforms that had success with it.

Since it works without I simply never bothered trying to figure out why. It didn't work in my configuration and unplugging it made life easier and one less cable to route.
      03-31-2021, 01:52 PM   #318
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E92 M3 ZCP

Took the plunge and ordered this today with the option D camera cyberdemon recommended. Coming from the first Joyeauto box. All the improvements with this version make this a worthy upgrade IMO.

Only thing is, I'm having a hard time finding coding software and files. Never coded before and pretty confident I can figure it out, just can't find any daten files on the net. All links posted in various forums are dead. Maybe I'll just see if a local shop can do it for me, probably be cheaper than the cost of the cable I'd have to buy....
      03-31-2021, 03:59 PM   #319
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
Only thing is, I'm having a hard time finding coding software and files. Never coded before and pretty confident I can figure it out, just can't find any daten files on the net. All links posted in various forums are dead. Maybe I'll just see if a local shop can do it for me, probably be cheaper than the cost of the cable I'd have to buy....
I would say unless your time is less valuable than money (and this is because I went the NCSExpert Route) just spend the extra few bucks to buy something like the Bimmercode or a similar app with a BT dongle.

The amount of time I spent trying to get my old Windows laptop working, watching youtube videos, figuring out why my .ini file wasn't working properly etc I could've spent drinking beers or doing something else and I saved like $50.
      03-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #320
Bamboo123
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

So fitted my new unit in seems to be working however now i get wireless carplay random freezing and disconnect from carplay randomly i dont think its the unit and think its my iphone 8+. Anyone getting same problem with wireless carplay ? follow a F30 post seem like im not the only 1 with the problem this is strange and sad
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 01:07 AM   #321
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would say unless your time is less valuable than money (and this is because I went the NCSExpert Route) just spend the extra few bucks to buy something like the Bimmercode or a similar app with a BT dongle.

The amount of time I spent trying to get my old Windows laptop working, watching youtube videos, figuring out why my .ini file wasn't working properly etc I could've spent drinking beers or doing something else and I saved like $50.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the app. I wasn't sure what the latest app for coding was. I remember carly was a thing but not anymore because of them changing to a subscription model or something?

Anyway, with bimmercode I should be able to code those 3 options? Can anyone explain why the usb ports have to be disabled to make it work? I understand the aux headunit option, just not sure why usb has anything to do with it. Either way ill do all 3, just curious that's all...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:07 AM   #322
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo123 View Post
So fitted my new unit in seems to be working however now i get wireless carplay random freezing and disconnect from carplay randomly i dont think its the unit and think its my iphone 8+. Anyone getting same problem with wireless carplay ? follow a F30 post seem like im not the only 1 with the problem this is strange and sad
Where have you positioned the antenna? Some people have installed the antenna too close to the box or CIC and that can cause substantial interference. I have my antenna mounted directly under the plastic under the CIC screen and it has a lot of air around it. Haven't had any connection issues.
      04-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #323
Bamboo123
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw e91

Quote:
Where have you positioned the antenna? Some people have installed the antenna too close to the box or CIC and that can cause substantial interference. I have my antenna mounted directly under the plastic under the CIC screen and it has a lot of air around it. Haven't had any connection issues.
mounted where the bimmertech has done. hmmm didnt think it could be interference at the start as the screen freeze but music still playing then it will disconnect and connect back. Maybe i will try move the antenna driving me crazy when its working its brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #324
Boston4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 N51 M-Sport 6MT

Quick PSA here - once you order from the Aliexpress site, they send you a message asking to clarify which car you have before they ship. My order just sat in their queue for a week because I never checked the messages.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #325
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quick PSA here - once you order from the Aliexpress site, they send you a message asking to clarify which car you have before they ship. My order just sat in their queue for a week because I never checked the messages.
I can confirm this happens. Luckily I guess I have notifications turned on for aliexpress. So when they sent me a message I got an email about it. But it took them like 2 days after my order to message me.
      04-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #326
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyse7en View Post
I can confirm this happens. Luckily I guess I have notifications turned on for aliexpress. So when they sent me a message I got an email about it. But it took them like 2 days after my order to message me.
Interesting?!?
Placed an order jus days ago...no 'vehicle verification' requested. Order shipped, in US Customs now.

Perhaps that step depends on the 'store' purchased from...practically speaking, Aliexpress acts as a 'broker/clearinghouse'.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #327
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Where is the best place to buy the carsara unit? Anyone got a link?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 10:39 PM   #328
luckyse7en
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Where is the best place to buy the carsara unit? Anyone got a link?
Used the link cyberdemon posted in the original post.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...287d4c4dTJXCK5
      04-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #329
Bungers
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i, E91 335d, E46 330d

I don't suppose anyone has looked into side loading an OBD app like torque? Would be sweet to be able to have hidden vital data on a big screen?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #330
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungers View Post
I don't suppose anyone has looked into side loading an OBD app like torque? Would be sweet to be able to have hidden vital data on a big screen?
For Carplay, no. Audio, maps, and messaging are the main "Frameworks" that Apple allows people to build apps for. (Reason you haven't seen any Carplay games, video players, etc).

Android auto is more limited, I believe someone had Torque working but only on an older and no longer available version of the OS.

I think the only way you could get this done would be to do screen mirroring, and I think that would require a BT dongle if screen mirroring is running over Wifi. You may get weird connection problems but you could certainly try it as a science experiment.
Bungers33.50