E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bleeding clutch on e90

01-23-2023, 09:46 AM   #23
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I bled my clutch by filling the brake reservoir to above the max line (really high up, since there's a separate reservoir for the clutch) and then just pumping the clutch and refilling fluid as needed. It seems that the air bubbles naturally rose to the top and took care of themselves. Took like half an hour of pumping the pedal but it eventually ended up working out, no pressure bleeder needed which is nice, although I want to pick one up eventually.

Worth noting that I started with a totally dry system since all the lines and the slave cylinder was new.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 07:42 PM   #24
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

how to get the air out

Today was my fifth time flushing BMW clutch fluid over the past few years using a Motive Pressure Bleeder. The past 4 times went beautifully, but today I somehow messed up and got air in the lines. A little ways into the flush I suddenly saw a BUNCH of air bubbles coming through my catchcan tube. I went up to the clutch pedal and as it sank to the floor, so did my stomach. I'm pretty sure it happened because I left the slave bleeder valve open too long, and the clutch fluid reservoir went dry, even though I had the pressure bleeder filled and pressurizing the brake/clutch fluid reservoir. So moral of the story is: when you're bleeding with a pressure bleeder, you should still probably only open the bleeder valve for max 10 seconds at a time; then pause to let the clutch partition refill and repeat as needed.

Anyway to solve my predicament I was expecting to spend HOURS based on what I'd read from past posts about this problem. Thankfully I got it fixed in less than 20 minutes all by myself. This was my process:
1) Top off the brake fluid reservoir
2) Hook up the pressure bleeder (with fluid in it)
3) Start pressing the clutch pedal. Wait 5 seconds between each push to let the clutch partition refill. Press about 15x and watch the bubbles come up the pressure bleeder tube
4) Go under the car and open the slave bleeder valve for 5 seconds and watch the bubbles come out
5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until the pedal feels firm again. I did about 4 cycles, and after that my pedal felt 100%. YMMV.