Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions ZTK Cooling and High Performance Tire Package

03-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #23
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
Much like the folks who constantly complain their car sounds different after the latest update, this too is mostly urban myth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
Truly, to me it's somewhat insane owners who have nothing better to do than obsess.

just drive the car. If you suddenly don't like it, sell it off.

ZTK is good for those of us who want the added benefits.
Haha! To be honest, the Aktive Sound in my F80 definitely changed after an update. . . I coded it out and was way happier. I can't believe they didn't allow for that to be coded out after all the complaints. It's really amazing how much the little input does change the cabin noise of the car!

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 03:24 PM   #24
drmarkjump
drmarkjump
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi, 22 BMW M340i xDrive

I have the Cooling and HP Tire Pk on my ‘22 M340i xDrive with Dinan suspension.

I busted the oil cooler as I backed out of an unfamiliar driveway with a 1 inch drop off at the street.

I recently ordered the Turner skid plate, and it is a beautiful piece! However, it could not possibly fit my car with the extra oil cooler. My friend, a certified BMW and Porsche mechanic, pointed out numerous ways in which it could not possibly work as he tried to fit the piece to the car.

Turner Motorsports kindly paid for my return and I think will mention in the future this problem with the skid plate not working for cars with the Cooling and HP Tire Pk.

We also looked at the M3 skid plate from Turner and some by other manufacturers, but there are way too many differences for it to work.

The moral of the story is to be very very careful at all times!
Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00
      01-24-2024, 04:38 PM   #25
Sparch
Private
Rep
Drives: M340i, 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkjump View Post
I have the Cooling and HP Tire Pk on my ‘22 M340i xDrive with Dinan suspension.

I busted the oil cooler as I backed out of an unfamiliar driveway with a 1 inch drop off at the street.

I recently ordered the Turner skid plate, and it is a beautiful piece! However, it could not possibly fit my car with the extra oil cooler. My friend, a certified BMW and Porsche mechanic, pointed out numerous ways in which it could not possibly work as he tried to fit the piece to the car.

Turner Motorsports kindly paid for my return and I think will mention in the future this problem with the skid plate not working for cars with the Cooling and HP Tire Pk.

We also looked at the M3 skid plate from Turner and some by other manufacturers, but there are way too many differences for it to work.

The moral of the story is to be very very careful at all times!
Have you found any solution to protect the Oil Cooler yet?

I have been searching high and low.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 09:22 PM   #26
Mposter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparch View Post
Have you found any solution to protect the Oil Cooler yet?

I have been searching high and low.
Curious myself as mine was just damaged after hitting a piece of semi tire on the interstate. Covered under insurance this go around, however would love some added protection for the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 10:03 PM   #27
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mposter View Post
Curious myself as mine was just damaged after hitting a piece of semi tire on the interstate. Covered under insurance this go around, however would love some added protection for the future.
This is the only one I know of
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...bly-g20-m340i/
      03-08-2024, 06:16 AM   #28
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peelerec View Post
Doesn’t work with ZTK. Just no ZTK so essentially useless!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2024, 08:09 AM   #29
peelerec
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Mineral Grey

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLJ View Post
Doesn’t work with ZTK. Just no ZTK so essentially useless!
You’re right! I missed that.
      05-04-2024, 04:23 PM   #30
Mposter
Enlisted Member
Rep

So this is definitely a real issue and not in our heads like some think for whatever reason. I have went through 2 oil coolers this year on my M340i with ZTK package.
Once was a semi tire on the interstate, this just bent the entire frame of the cooler but did not case a leak. Still got it replaced with the rest of the damage.

Two weeks ago hit a spinning piece of metal pipe on the interstate someone dropped. Busted oil cooler, covered bottom and back of car in oil. Immediately pulled over as I saw all the white smoke as it hit the hot exhaust.

I was 3 hours away from home on a work trip. Waited 2 hours for a tow truck, and got it towed to a BMW dealer. Engine is okay and car is good after $1,500 in repairs.

All that being said I have just installed the turner motorsport skid plate for our cars. Obviously as stated it "is not suitable for cars with ZTK package"
Everything of course fits fine besides the last middle piece that goes over the cooler. I am waiting to take to a few shops to see how we can modify this to fit and clear the cooler. While also creating some opening for the cooler to function and pull heat out as it should. I will keep everyone posted and give you all the details possible. Also making a full YouTube video on it as well!
https://youtube.com/@Mpostor?si=l6F6CTKdb3irqAGF
Appreciate 2
CSBM52756.00
      05-07-2024, 04:51 PM   #31
TMatt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
You mean the bottom one? It's fine. It's under the car, and the way I drive with Pennsylvania highway debris it would have been destroyed with the 17k highway miles I've put on my car in over a year.

The myth it gets damaged a lot is just that; A myth.
My dad has a stock 2021 with ztk and he got a hole punched in the cooler driving down i95 yesterday and the car lost all it's oil. Now the dealer is saying the engine is shot and needs to be replaced. It's not warrateed either since it was caused by road debris. Definitely don't think this is a myth.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 05:22 PM   #32
GOTOFMS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Leaving a cooler that low to the ground exposed was a poor decision on BMW. I understand the need for maximum airflow but still.
Appreciate 1
EXE462104.50
      05-07-2024, 05:24 PM   #33
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatt View Post
My dad has a stock 2021 with ztk and he got a hole punched in the cooler driving down i95 yesterday and the car lost all it's oil. Now the dealer is saying the engine is shot and needs to be replaced. It's not warrateed either since it was caused by road debris. Definitely don't think this is a myth.
That sucks! Perhaps your dad can claim insurance on the replacement otherwise that's an expensive job.
I agree that this is not a myth (although the fan boys will minimize the risk); there a few other posts I've seen from this year on this forum reporting a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 06:35 PM   #34
M340I///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:

Damn sorry this has happen!

I don’t think it’s a myth either, I think it’s common sense that something explosed like this will eventually get damaged if one is not careful. But how careful can one be?

And while some of us would create something to protect it , not everyone is as creative.

Definitely think bmw should revisit this design and make something for it.

Hope your dad either fights this with i95 or his insurance.

I live in Delaware and got my windshield replaced by DelDOT for not cleaning i-95 . Thanks to my dash cam catching the small pc of wood that came at my windshield.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:44 PM   #35
Mposter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My dealership tried to quote me an engine and said it needed to be replaced. I called them out on it and told them I immediately pulled over and shut it off. I told them after I shut it off it leaked another 1-1.5 quarts on the side of the road. I asked them what made them think the engine was bad. Their response pissed me off as a former tech myself.

"My technician said he is confident there is bearing damage due to the codes he pulled and how long the car said it ran with low to no oil pressure" I called them out on it again and told them I have full dash cam footage from the second I hit it and how quick I pulled over and when I shut the car off not a single light or error came up. Then he back pedaled and said he is sure the engine is fine after he just quoted me one for $25,000

Yet with a new cooler and fresh oil she is completely fine and healthy.
So depending on how quick your dad caught it and pulled over I would be very hesitant to trust them that it actually needs an engine without any physical tear down or proof of damage.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 09:48 PM   #36
Mposter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTOFMS View Post
Leaving a cooler that low to the ground exposed was a poor decision on BMW. I understand the need for maximum airflow but still.
It doesn't even work off of direct air flow. Designed to get air in from the front bumper and Grill as well as the main radiator fan pushing air down through it. The air that comes across the bottom of the car creates a vacuum and pulls the fresh air from the top through it and out the bottom of the car.

So very easy to keep that same function with added protection.
Appreciate 1
M340I///M180.50
      05-08-2024, 09:56 PM   #37
M340I///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 bmw m340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
It doesn't even work off of direct air flow. Designed to get air in from the front bumper and Grill as well as the main radiator fan pushing air down through it. The air that comes across the bottom of the car creates a vacuum and pulls the fresh air from the top through it and out the bottom of the car.

This right here 100%^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 11:21 PM   #38
I800C0LLECT
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M340

Anybody thought about deleting the extra radiator?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 09:21 AM   #39
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:

If a protection plate is added, there will reduce the vacuum and downward airflow on the whole surface of the oil cooler facing down, right?

I would think the airflow then needs to exit towards the back of the car, but that reduces the volume of airflow.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 09:02 PM   #40
Mposter
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
If a protection plate is added, there will reduce the vacuum and downward airflow on the whole surface of the oil cooler facing down, right?

I would think the airflow then needs to exit towards the back of the car, but that reduces the volume of airflow.
No way to really know if and how bad it affects without test with smoke and or wind tunnel really. I will absolutely take a decrease in cooling for a safe protected oil cooler after what I have been through lol.

On track days or whatever could always remove it for maximum cooling.

My thought process is, it is an added cooler right? So it is not a necessity to the operation of the vehicle as all other cars without the package do not have it. So me reducing some air flow is not going to hurt it as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 08:12 AM   #41
JJKiii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M340i

Garage List
2024 BMW M340i  [9.00]
The ZTK package eliminates the water to oil cooler mounted on the block and replaces it with the larger air to oil cooler horizontally mounted behind the front bumper. I agree there's no good way to know if/how much a guard affects the cooling performance. Can always monitor oil temp I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2024, 01:46 AM   #42
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
No way to really know if and how bad it affects without test with smoke and or wind tunnel really. I will absolutely take a decrease in cooling for a safe protected oil cooler after what I have been through lol.

On track days or whatever could always remove it for maximum cooling.

My thought process is, it is an added cooler right? So it is not a necessity to the operation of the vehicle as all other cars without the package do not have it. So me reducing some air flow is not going to hurt it as a daily driver.
I read another post saying that the air-cooled oil cooler replaces a block mounted liquid-cooled oil cooler, so the horizontal cooler is a replacement, not an extra, of the standard equipment.

I think liquid-cooled oil cooler should have better heat exchange efficiency than air-cooled one for the same flow volume.

The horizontally-mounted cooler likely requires a large % of its area to get the same daily-driving efficiency as the liquid-cooled one, so blocking off downward airflow with a plate may affect daily-driving too.
Appreciate 1
M340I///M180.50
      05-12-2024, 02:23 PM   #43
Mposter
Enlisted Member
Rep

So big no go on modifying the center section of the Turner motorsport plate. I have ordered a 1/8 5052 aluminum sheet to match the rest of the skid plate kit.
We came up with a really solid game plan to make our own and to mate up to the rest of the Turner motorsport kit.

Will document all I can and try to record some of the process to post on YouTube! Feeling pretty confident it will work and look good.

While waiting for it to arrive I am going to document and monitor oil temps closely so I can compare post oil cooler gaurd/skid plate going on!
Appreciate 2
CSBM52756.00
      05-12-2024, 03:11 PM   #44
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
So big no go on modifying the center section of the Turner motorsport plate. I have ordered a 1/8 5052 aluminum sheet to match the rest of the skid plate kit.
We came up with a really solid game plan to make our own and to mate up to the rest of the Turner motorsport kit.

Will document all I can and try to record some of the process to post on YouTube! Feeling pretty confident it will work and look good.

While waiting for it to arrive I am going to document and monitor oil temps closely so I can compare post oil cooler gaurd/skid plate going on!
Since u are custom building your kit, one option to consider is to use perforate aluminum sheet.
Appreciate 0