BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-08-2023, 10:14 AM   #1
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Stealth Hitch Wire Harness and Backup Sensors

Has anyone install the Stealth Hitch hitch on their 2021 X3 with their included wiring harness.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eID=2021119822

Does it disable the backup sensors when the X3 is in reverse? If not how do you backup with a trailer attached and not have the sensor stopping you.

I read the thread about retrofitting the OEM hitch and wiring harness on the various years and the various issues related to that. They did not answer my specific questions and concerns:

The back story here:

I choose the Stealth Hitch since it is my wife's X3 and she first does not like the look of a hitch on her car, we always had a hitch on her car since it was family car and we tow trailers and bike racks and various things and she always had the people hauler car. When she got the X3 she would not allow me to order the trailer hitch option since it also disable the foot sensor for the hatch, which she loves when shopping. We now have need for hitch again and she agreed since The Stealth Hitch is not visible, solves issue 1, and it also does not disable the foot sensor when the hitch is not in place, solved issue 2.

Now issue 3, which is my issue and I had this on other vehicles with backup sensors, as soon as you place it in reverse the alarms go off when a trailer is attached, I just ignore the warns in the past expect the X3 will stop you from backing up since it has the rear collision feature.

From what I read the OEM harness senses that the trailer lights are plugs into the wiring harness and disable the backup sensors. Some people complain this happen when they have a bike rack installed so there is module you can plug into the wiring harness that tell the X3 there are trailer lights attached.

I do not want to buy the OEM harness for $500 since I also read starting in 2021 BMW stopped install the trailer control harness from the front to rear on all vehicle so it is a lot of work in put in the OEM brake light harness. I also reached out to Etrailer which i both the kit and they were unable to answer the question.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated, plan to install the hitch this weekend and not looking forward to it not work right and upsetting the wife.

Last edited by Maestro; 11-08-2023 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 10:18 PM   #2
kevinistic
KBimmer
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Just curious. I have the EXACT question on my 2022 model. I do NOT have the factory 8SL wiring for a hitch and will plan to install a stealth hitch like you bought. How did it go with your wiring that came with the stealth kit? Are you happy with it after the fact? Any advice for me before I pull the trigger? :-) Thanks!

I'm surprised nobody replied to this post yet. This is a common issue from what I'm seeing. Especially since they stopped installing that 8SL wiring for cars without hitches. I wish BMW wouldn't have done that!
Appreciate 0