BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Blown Engine F90 Comp

05-08-2024, 09:07 PM   #1
F90nTX
Registered
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Blown Engine F90 Comp

Still getting to the actual Internal failure in my 2020 F90 Comp, but thought I would share the mods as I’ve heard of several similar issues. I was running with the Eventuri intake and got into a fairly strong rainstorm. The car started pulling erratically. The engine still ran so I drove it straight to the dealership. I was also running a race chip XL. The engine sounded like a bag of metal banging around. I read another post where a similar thing happened running the Eventuri intake in the rain. The codes showed overboost and MAF sensor failure codes, so it might be the Race Chip. Regardless, BMW will not cover and a new engine is $68K installed. Going to go the rebuild route with forged internals and bump it up to 1,000HP and 800nm on the stock transmission. I’ve been told that’s about the max on the trainy. Cost is about $30K or so. Still waiting on final quote.

Picture is the metal soaked filter

So to net it out, I don’t recommend the parts I installed and I want some feedback on what I’m about to do on the rebuild and tune.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:38 PM   #2
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I just changed my oil at 55k miles and it looks clean compared to that. I am just stage 2 on 93 pump plus meth. Car was stock until 24k. So what mods did you have and why do you think the motor failed?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:58 AM   #3
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Oof!!! Feel your pain. I pick my '19 Comp back up on Saturday after a full rebuild albeit stock not forged.

I too was running Eventuri and Racechip GTS however my failure was likely due to leaking radiator tank... now replaced with the RK alloy tank.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:07 AM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
Major General
Rep
Drives: bmw

I see no possible way driving in the rain could cause this unless you drove through a massive puddle or something.

68k for a new motor is insane.
Appreciate 2
FSHNGRY2388.00
      05-09-2024, 11:23 AM   #5
Oz M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

For reference, I was quoted by a local independent shop $38k for a new engine from BMW + $8k install.

I ended up getting a complete rebuild for half the price.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 12:34 PM   #6
GTTC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
I see no possible way driving in the rain could cause this unless you drove through a massive puddle or something.

68k for a new motor is insane.
Is possible. Not same but a while back my previous S2000 I had a low profile intake system. Filter sat right by the front grill. I cover the filter with a hydrophobic sleeve and drove it for 11 yrs rain or shine…. Standing water, snow, massive rain. Never had an issue until I did. 18 wheeler water spray must had been enough to get water in the engine, while driving my car lost power and stopped. Would not start, tow it home and waited… lucky enough I pulled the plugs and not a lick of water. Crancked right up…. Some water, somehow cause it to stop and i was very lucky… that being said, i want the eventuri v2 and the scoops but been on defense due to the way the front scoops mount looking forward vice factory looking up. At least my Comp does not see rain if I can control it.
Not saying thats what happened (i wasn’t there) but based on my own experience… is not impossible.
Appreciate 1
Holset278.50
      05-10-2024, 01:15 AM   #7
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTTC View Post
Is possible. Not same but a while back my previous S2000 I had a low profile intake system. Filter sat right by the front grill. I cover the filter with a hydrophobic sleeve and drove it for 11 yrs rain or shine…. Standing water, snow, massive rain. Never had an issue until I did. 18 wheeler water spray must had been enough to get water in the engine, while driving my car lost power and stopped. Would not start, tow it home and waited… lucky enough I pulled the plugs and not a lick of water. Crancked right up…. Some water, somehow cause it to stop and i was very lucky… that being said, i want the eventuri v2 and the scoops but been on defense due to the way the front scoops mount looking forward vice factory looking up. At least my Comp does not see rain if I can control it.
Not saying thats what happened (i wasn’t there) but based on my own experience… is not impossible.
Yes i think you are right there is another thread were we talked about aftermarket intakes i think you should be a bit wary/careful if your car has them.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 06:33 PM   #8
ONE_slow_m5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 f90 m5

who's doing the engine build ?
      05-21-2024, 01:55 AM   #9
Ninslothus
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 G31 M550d

You could upgrade the gearbox internals to stage 2 to handle the extra power since the whole drivetrain has to come out anyways
https://www.puredrivetrainsolutions....ission-upgrade
https://kotte-onlineshop.de/en/shop/...arbox-upgrade/
Appreciate 0