E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil Leak Pan

05-08-2024, 03:39 PM   #1
J56Sedan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

Oil Leak Pan

Last Wednesday I took my car to the dealership to get the filter gasket replaced because it was leaking. I had about 3 drops on my garage floor every couple of days. I got it fixed because it started to drip on my belts making a higher-pitched sound. I was very excited to get it fixed. I took my car home and overnight the oil leak was now about 8 to 10 drops (over one night) which was way more than before. I called the dealership who took my car back to check the repair. They say the repair is good, but the oil leak is now coming from my oil pan and the reason why it was not seen before was because of the oil leak from before. When I asked why the leak was worse, they said it is because they cleaned the area and it removed gunk that opened the area for the oil to leak out. They want over $2600 to repair it. I am so frustrated because this does not feel right. This does not make sense. Does this make sense to you?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 09:56 PM   #2
Mark963
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328  [0.00]
The aerodynamic "splash guards" - the big plastic shields under the engine - will hold a lot of oil if they are dirty. A thick layer of oil and dirt forms over it. It's possible that if that was cleaned, then oil dripping off the oil pan could find its way to an edge of the shield and drip off while it is parked. It would appear that a lot more oil is lost from the shield while it's being driven.

The oil pan is a PITA, worse if it's xDrive. This is a very common leak.
Appreciate 0