Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

01-09-2024, 03:19 PM   #67
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-ab View Post
I am in the process of developing an order. Is there anything you wished you ordered or wished you didn’t? For example,

Do you like the 20” performance wheel package if you have them or would you have preferred to get 19’s for the range, pot hole resistance and (wear???). If you have 19s are they good enough?

Do you like the Driving Assistance Professional Package or is it useless since you need to intervene with your hands every few minutes and really bought this car to drive it yourself?

Thanks for your advice!
My order has everything; almost.
I did not opt for ventilated seats because you lose the adjustable bolsters and I didn't got for the external carbon package
I have individual leather. The easiest way to get that is pick something from the Canadian order guide assuming you are US.

I got the 20" wheels and the range wasn't an issue. You can recover range after the first set of tires by going to an all season like a Conti DWS-06 Plus. Better tread wear and lower rolling resistance than the summer tires that come with the 20" wheels.

Traffic Jam Assist works great at under 40MPH and you don't need your hands on the wheel. Above 40 the active cruise (DAPP) is great at maintaining speed and distance.

The laser lights are great. The heated rear seats were not available for 2023, but I wished they were.

So I have no regrets on my purchase.
I say go big or go home.
      01-09-2024, 11:27 PM   #68
M-ab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

Wow. Super helpful. Answered every one of my questions. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 01:40 PM   #69
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Another happy customer here

It's definitely more of a GT than a sportscar, at least in terms of driving feel. In terms of outright dynamic ability it's actually very close to the M3 CS - 1.03 g for the M3 CS, 0.97 g for the M50... So if you push the car hard into a corner it's going round that corner, it just won't feel like it wants to!

Performance aside, as a car it's one of BMW's better efforts I think. The 4 series GC with any powertrain is a very well thought out, practical and stylish car. This latest generation has taken a decent step forwards in interior and tech. At this stage I rate the BMW infotainment and self driving at least as good in the real world as Tesla.

I have the 20" performance tyres (UK), a decision I made on the basis that was what M-division used when they set the car up. The lower profile tyres also help firm the car up a little which is good imo, the one I test drove with smaller wheels struggled to keep it's weight in check when changing direction rapidly. The weight is still there with the larger wheels, but like I say, they firm things up a bit and I think that's a good thing. Talking about weight management I think the adaptive damping on the i4 is excellent, you can really feel the chassis firm up in sports mode.

It's worth remembering that the i4 shares the same platform as the ICE cars, so there are inherent design compromises. I strongly suspect that BMW's upcoming new fully electric platform is going to be a big leap forwards. I think BMW are well aligned to be at the top of the pile of legacy manufacturers when it comes to EV. But for today, the i4 M50 is up there with the very best performance EV's.
Appreciate 2
M-ab13.50
      01-16-2024, 04:03 PM   #70
jpuffmasterpuffpuffpuff69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Jaguar I-Pace

I do prefer the car in sport mode except for long drives. The damping is a bit weak in regular.
Appreciate 1
M-ab13.50
      01-17-2024, 09:20 AM   #71
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Zero regrets getting the i4M50, something that my brother can't say about his Taycan 4S which has given nothing but problems.

The M50 might not be the ultimate performance car or even the best EV drivers car but its definitely the best allrounder IMO.
Appreciate 3
      01-18-2024, 09:23 PM   #72
techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The M50 might not be the ultimate performance car or even the best EV drivers car but its definitely the best allrounder IMO.
I would have to say that the i4 M50 was like my VFR800 motorcycle.

It wasn't excellent at any one thing, but is was really good at just about everything.
      02-25-2024, 06:19 AM   #73
JohnOnM
Rep
Drives: BMW M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightarmor View Post
No regrets but some little annoyances like-

There is some sequence of events my wife does that allows the headlights to stay on indefinitely after she parks the car in the garage. I have not been able to reproduce myself.

B- mode is useless.

Ultimately I don't like the large curved screen. My wife likes it though and likes the Android Auto integration.
I can keep the lights on by closing the hatch and walking away while it’s closing. For some reason it doesn’t see me walk away while the hatch is closing. When closing the hatch use the close and lock button if you’re leaving the car.

B mode - mostly around town driving. I have the gear shift and I use it as a down shift feature.

I agree with your wife about the screen. So does everyone else who has been in my car. I do think they moved too many control features to the screen, such as the heated seat controls.

This is the best car I have owned to date and my first BMW.
Appreciate 0