BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Rear view mirror and passenger side door rattles

05-05-2022, 11:45 PM   #1
SonicF90
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Rear view mirror and passenger side door rattles

Hi everyone, got a bit of an issue on my hands. I tried removing the rear view mirror panel and accessing the wires that plug into the mirror in order to plug an adapter and get a dashcam powered up through that unit. However, I couldn't unplug the mirror wire from the unit and so I gave up. I tried really hard pulling on the wires to unplug it, but to no avail. So I gave up. However, once I started driving I began to start hearing rattles from the rear view mirror and passenger side door. Not sure how that could have happened by this. Took it to the dealership and they didn't find any issues. Does anybody have any thoughts? The noise comes and goes, but when it comes, it literally drives me CRAZY. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 07:21 AM   #2
jzy
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 G30, '21 F90

Not sure about the rear view mirror rattle but as far as the passenger door rattle, try moving the seatbelt buckle closer to the head rest. It sounds crazy but when the buckle is sometimes backwards and lower on the belt between the side bolsters and the door panel, that might be the sound you hear. Let me know if that works for?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #3
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzy View Post
Not sure about the rear view mirror rattle but as far as the passenger door rattle, try moving the seatbelt buckle closer to the head rest. It sounds crazy but when the buckle is sometimes backwards and lower on the belt between the side bolsters and the door panel, that might be the sound you hear. Let me know if that works for?
Was going to say the same thing. The first few times it happened, it was like a week before I realized it. Now it's the first thing I check when I get a rattle and that's always it. Worth checking. The mirror housing I've no idea…

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 1
jzy46.00
      05-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
SonicF90
Rep

Yeah I tried moving the seatbelt, didn't really do anything. I guess I'll take it in for service again
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #5
jnotrom711
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Garage List
2019 G63 AMG  [0.00]
2019 M5 Comp  [0.00]
I had a similar issue when I had a windshield replaced. I had to have the windshield people come out 4 times to fix the rattle. Finally they discovered there is some sort of spring or clip up there somewhere that people don't see or miss when re-installing the plastic trim

Finally one of the windshield techs discovered it and got it taken care of but it took a few people to realize it. Also in the process they broke the plastic trim, and they installed a new piece, re-hooked the clips/springs and its silent now.

But it was bad and frustrating while it was rattling.

Sorry I cant be more specific where the spring or clip is, because it wasn't me that did the work. I just know its up there somewhere near all the cameras and sensors. But I can tell you they made it sound like it was easily missed and would be common to cause rattling up there if not re-installed properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 01:34 PM   #6
SonicF90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnotrom711 View Post
I had a similar issue when I had a windshield replaced. I had to have the windshield people come out 4 times to fix the rattle. Finally they discovered there is some sort of spring or clip up there somewhere that people don't see or miss when re-installing the plastic trim

Finally one of the windshield techs discovered it and got it taken care of but it took a few people to realize it. Also in the process they broke the plastic trim, and they installed a new piece, re-hooked the clips/springs and its silent now.

But it was bad and frustrating while it was rattling.

Sorry I cant be more specific where the spring or clip is, because it wasn't me that did the work. I just know its up there somewhere near all the cameras and sensors. But I can tell you they made it sound like it was easily missed and would be common to cause rattling up there if not re-installed properly.
Makes me feel better that I'm not the only one. At least I can tell the dealer that there is definitely an issue up there. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 05:04 PM   #7
boost3dx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS & 2022 X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2022 BMW M5 CS  [10.00]
I literally just installed a radar detector last night and had to take apart all the pieces of the mirror trim to get to that cable.

If I were you, I'd try again and remove all 3 pieces, get that cable unplugged, do what you wish, and then button everything back up. Make sure it's all tight and nothing is loose afterwards.

I used this thread for guidance:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1556366
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 07:15 PM   #8
SonicF90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost3dx View Post
I literally just installed a radar detector last night and had to take apart all the pieces of the mirror trim to get to that cable.

If I were you, I'd try again and remove all 3 pieces, get that cable unplugged, do what you wish, and then button everything back up. Make sure it's all tight and nothing is loose afterwards.

I used this thread for guidance:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1556366
Will do, thank you
Appreciate 0